New shooter and I'm horrible at it. Looking for training.

Guest MidTNGlock

Guest MidTNGlock

Don't let the fact that you're on the clock keep you from trying an IDPA match somewhere. The scenarios are fun and it's a lot more laid back than you'd think. You'll get to shoot stuff you'll never get a chance to see anywhere else. Don't even let the fact that they're keeping score enter your mind, just shoot and have fun.

I'll get there before too long. I've improved some so I'm starting to enjoy the learning process more.

Thanks for letting me come up there and I'll give you some 22lr next time out!

Guest MidTNGlock

Thanks for the continued advice and encouragement. I've improved some since my first day and I'm having fun with it.

Didn't think about building up a supply of brass for when I eventually get into reloading. $120 or so per week for ammo is too much!

Thanks again everybody!

You won't be spending that much when that 22/45 comes in! :D

I'd 50 rounds or less of 9mm and the rest .22LR, if I were you.

I also hope you learned as much as I did about NOT buying Winchester ammo for my Ruger, LOL.

Guest MidTNGlock

Shot the 22/45 today and sure did enjoy it. Didn't clean or lube anything just took it out of the box and had no malfunctions shooting Federal Champion bulk pack and CCI Mini Mag.

I've got a bushing on the way that will allow me to remove the stupid mag safety and it's supposed to improve the trigger as well. Will also remove the spring/detent that prevents slingshotting the bolt closed while I've got it apart. Other than those two annoyances, this gun is awesome. It just needs the two mods I mentioned and a fiber optic front sight.

My best target, shooting from 15 yards:

8dfebf61.jpg

Almost all in the 9 ring! Only 9 rounds because the first shot was at a butterfly on an adjacent target.

My best with the G19 at 15 yards:

41618f2d.jpg

Pretty big difference. Notice the one next to the recycling logo? :stunned:

Had one of the pistol ranges all to myself today so I took a short video of me shooting the 22/45

th_210cbf02.jpg

Still disappointed with the 9mm shooting but I'm not discouraged.

Edited by MidTNGlock

Those are both fine considering what you are doing and how long you have been at it. Forget the 1 stray with the 9 (though its nice to know what you did there if you notice it) --- plenty of people shoot worse groups than the rest of the shots with a 9 at closer distances. You will get better, and its not bad at all. If you can keep them in that orange circle at 15 yards with the 9, you can defend yourself pretty darn well.

Guest MidTNGlock

.... still struggling with my 9mm shooting....

I shot OK yesterday. Not great but not bad. Got a chance to read a few chapters of the Surgical Speed book last night. Made some changes to my grip on the gun based on instruction in the book. Thouht I'd shoot better than ever today since the gun felt great in my hands after the adjustments. Dry firing felt really good. Felt like I had more control over the gun.

Got to the range today and all my 9mm shots were going low 8 - 10 inches and to the left 4 - 6 inches with the new grip. Some were completely off the paper at 10 yards. Big step back from yesterday. :down:

Wasn't a total waste. Got a speedloader for my 22/45 mags. Shot somewhere around 700 rounds of 22lr this weekend and my shooting wasn't as bad with that caliber. That 700 rounds was just using 2 mags. Really speeds things up to be able to drop 10 rounds into the mag in a few seconds and saves lots of skin getting scraped off your thumbs! :up:

I was tearing out the bullseye at 7-10 yds with the 22 but am very disappointed in my centerfire shooting. It is odd to line up the sights on the bullseye at 10 yards and have the bullet go somewhere else. I was popping the little 8 ounce Red Bull cans at 20 yards with the 22. Not sure I could hit one from 10 yards with the 9mm.

I plan to take some 1 on 1 instruction when the new range opens up over by Harding and I65. Still have a long way to go....

edited to add:

Still haven't had a single malfunction with either gun. They have both operated flawlessly. Really impressed with the 22/45 reliability and accuracy.

Edited by MidTNGlock
Guest MidTNGlock

Dry fired every night this past week after work and it really helped. The muzzle still tends to pull slightly to the left the instant before the trigger breaks but I think with more practice, this can be eliminated or at least further minimized. Grip as described in Surgical Speed definitely helps control recoil and get back on target quicker.

My rear sight looked like it was off to one side so I tapped it back to the center and I think that made a noticeable difference beyond 10 yards.

Will have to learn to quit for the day or just plink at cans with the .22 when fatigue sets in. I've shot up too much ammo after my hands are tired. I think that was the problem last Sunday. I shot so much the day before that my hands were worn out on Sunday. Hoping all the dry firing will improve strength and endurance.

I've started loading two mags with 5 rounds to work in a mag change for a simple 10 shot drill.

Best from yesterday was my first two mags, 10 rounds 1-2 seconds apart at 10 yards:

c2142843.jpg

That is good enough that I won't be in a hurry to take the target down before someone sees it. :cool:

Detail stripped the 22/45 and installed the "BAM" bushing and did the Slingshot mod. Wasn't nearly as complex as I had been led to believe reading all the forums. Cleaned everything up and put it back together with only a couple of minor snags. There's really not much to taking the whole thing apart and it's interesting to see how it all works inside there. This mod didn't lighten the trigger pull but trigger break feels noticeably more crisp. Main thing is the mags drop free now! Probably took between 30 - 45 minutes with all the cleaning.

BAM Bushing:

http://bushing.webs.com/

Detail strip and Slingshot mod instructions:

http://guntalk-onlin...ilstripping.htm