New shooter and I'm horrible at it. Looking for training.

Guest MidTNGlock

Best book I ever read on the subject was Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford. It should be required reading for IDPA and anyone interested in self-defense. Don't let the title fool you, it covers the basics brilliantly, IMO.

Excellent suggestion. I've taken this class with Andy (and a few others) and it made a dramatic improvement in my understanding of the mechanics...and I had taken quite a few other courses with other trainers prior to SSS. book link.

The book is a bargain and well worth having. I've read it more than once in the last 10 years.

I also 2nd the suggestion for a .22. It's a great caliber and perfect for developing the basic, and for maintaining your shooting skills at an affordable price.

link to "Handgun Target Analysis Guide"

For future reference, or if you just get the notion, I would highly recommend Tom Given's and his facility Rangemaster in Memphis. Tom is a gentleman, great guy, and excellent instructor. He may also be a good person to contact for someone that may be able to help in your area.

Edited by prag

A Ruger 22/45 or Advantage Arms 22lr conversion for the G19 is next on my list. I definitely need to cut ammo costs. Been shooting 250 rounds every Saturday and another 250 on Sundays and it's still not enough trigger time. :shake:

Wow.... you might want to seriously look into reloading in the long run. I can make a box of 9s for a little over $5 in about 15-20 min... you would have to make 2 boxes a day to feed that habit...

Guest MidTNGlock

Best book I ever read on the subject was Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford. It should be required reading for IDPA and anyone interested in self-defense. Don't let the title fool you, it covers the basics brilliantly, IMO.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation has a decent collection of free videos (nssf.org). I'd recommend checking out their YouTube channel. Look for Handgun Shooting Tips. Really, any of the videos on YouTube by professional shooters would be worth watching.

The NRA has a DVD program, but it's $80. I'd spend that money on a class instead.

Surgical Speed is one of the books on my wish list at Midway. I'll definitely get it soon. Thanks for the recommendation and I'll look at those YT videos tonight.

Guest MidTNGlock

Wow.... you might want to seriously look into reloading in the long run. I can make a box of 9s for a little over $5 in about 15-20 min... you would have to make 2 boxes a day to feed that habit...

I'd like to reload but it will probably be after the end of this year before I can do it. $5-$6 per box of 9mm sounds more like it! Is that with cast bullets or jacketed? I think I will have to use jacketed for the G19.

Thanks for all the help everybody.

I'd like to reload but it will probably be after the end of this year before I can do it. $5-$6 per box of 9mm sounds more like it! Is that with cast bullets or jacketed? I think I will have to use jacketed for the G19.

Thanks for all the help everybody.

I am using cast *BUT* they are hardened cast and I can and have used them in poly barrels without buildup. Soft lead and poly (glocks, couple others) does not mix! Copper jacket adds to the price in a hurry, so I would try the hard lead first if the goal is to save money. I also use a lighter bullet: the less lead, the less it costs each and the more will fit in a fixed rate postal box to ship.

• Administrator

I'd recommend taking up Randy Harris (Cruel Hand Luke) on his offer to go take a class from him. You never hear bad comments about his training but always hear positive remarks. Money well spent.

Beyond that, there is a lot you can do on your own to improve your shooting accuracy. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that based on my own 20+ years experience shooting firearms, accuracy is 10% physical ability, 10% technique and 80% mental. All of these areas improve with time and use. You cannot expect to go out to a range and be Deadeye Dick with your first 10 rounds. The hardest area for most people to improve in is the mental aspect, but that's why improvement comes with use and exposure.

Once someone has shown you the proper techniques -- or you learn them yourself -- your physical abilities will improve quickly as you learn to use new muscles in new ways, and your confidence will begin to improve dramatically as you start seeing improvements.

I'd recommend taking up Randy Harris (Cruel Hand Luke) on his offer to go take a class from him. You never hear bad comments about his training but always hear positive remarks. Money well spent.

Second. I have taken four of Randy's classes, and they are worth the money especially if you need to learn the whole self defense aspect of carrying and shooting a handgun.

Not exactly middle TN , but I do have a class coming up in 2 weeks in the Chattanooga area. It is our Defensive Pistol Skills class. More info can be found here in this thread........http://www.tngunowne...area-aug-18-19/

The class has about 5 signed up so far so you'll get plenty of 1 on 1 coaching. I'm not joking when I say I'll help you to shoot better than you thought was possible.

I have taken a class with Randy. He is an excellent teacher AND marksman. He will certainly get you started correctly. There are many techniques, and no one class is going to be THE answer, but you can trust Randy to get you started correctly.

Guest MidTNGlock

Wish I could go to that class but I've got some other obligations. I'll certainly keep it in mind since it is so highly recommended.

I may get to shoot some with a forum member this weekend and I'm sure that would help me improve.

Thanks for all the info!

I learned alot when I took a course with Randy, so I can definitely give him the Gotthegoods Seal of Approval. :up:

We had a pretty novice shooter in a more advanced class; his technique and comfidence levels were vastly improved after our training session.

The cost of training seems pretty competitive, $100 or so for a few hours indoor, $200 - $300 for one full day, $400 - $500 for two-day (plus ammo cost)

Nashville State Community College has a defensive firearms course as part of their Police Science program. I know it sounds a little ridiculous but the teachers are current and former officers, good teachers, and incredible shots. Also, I believe NSCC does let people sign up for individual classes without getting involved in an entire degree program. If they do, I'm also pretty sure that their semester long class prices are a good bit cheaper then the weekend of instruction that a lot of places offer. The only issue I can think of is that this would involve a group of people a lot of whom have never fired a weapon before, but the instructors are EXTREMELY strict about gun safety and don't even get to the range until the second or third class day. I know one of em almost punched a student in the face (out of reflex) who muzzled him.

Guest MidTNGlock

The NSCC course sounds good. I'm going to take all suggestions into consideration and begin training of some kind ASAP but it might be awhile before I have the funds for it.

Met up with "BigK" at the Stones River range today. He pointed out of couple of things that were affecting my accuracy. It didn't really sink in until towards the end of the session but I think it's going to help a lot going forward.

I really liked shooting his Ruger 22 pistol and I've got my own 22/45 coming tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Guest MidTNGlock

Well hook up with BigK again and have him bring you to Dickson Saturday to shoot the IDPA match.

I better learn to shoot straight before trying to draw from a holster and shoot fast. Thanks much for the invite, though. It looks fun so I plan to get into it at some point. Maybe next year.

don't forget magpul's dvds... they are pricey though. Just go to the local range and find a friend (make sure he can shoot first though). Most ranges won't let you draw from from a holster for safety reasons, but you should get into the habit of drawing from your holster and shooting (slowly at first). Just don't try to go fast and shoot yourself in the leg and blame it on the holster like somebody on youtube did.

I better learn to shoot straight before trying to draw from a holster and shoot fast. Thanks much for the invite, though. It looks fun so I plan to get into it at some point. Maybe next year.

Don't let the fact that you're on the clock keep you from trying an IDPA match somewhere. The scenarios are fun and it's a lot more laid back than you'd think. You'll get to shoot stuff you'll never get a chance to see anywhere else. Don't even let the fact that they're keeping score enter your mind, just shoot and have fun.

• Like 2

Don't let the fact that you're on the clock keep you from trying an IDPA match somewhere. The scenarios are fun and it's a lot more laid back than you'd think. You'll get to shoot stuff you'll never get a chance to see anywhere else. Don't even let the fact that they're keeping score enter your mind, just shoot and have fun.

times 2

Walk before you run. Just another reason to get proper instruction. Don't practice poor technique, and if you haven't been shown, it is hard to practice correctly. There is a saying that slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. You will meet some good folks at an IDPA match. Ask around for help, ask others who the right person is to help you. A lot of help is available just for the asking.

I think it would be better to add another variable to accuracy for a beginning shooter. I'd want to develop proper techniques before starting to reload. I shot and saved brass for awhile before attempting to reload.

My honest opinion, and that's all it is, just my opinion.

I think you're going about it correctly MidTNGlock.

First, you're asking for assist and information. Good for you. That's an excellent first step.

It looks like you've met someone that can help, another plus point.

There has been some excellent information and suggestions already offered.

I know an IDPA Match is a great place to meet other shooters, and learn safe techniques for practice and competition. I thoroughly enjoy going to and shooting matches. But I also think you're right in building correct fundamentals, working them under a professional watchful eye, and progressing from there.

Ultimately training with a top notch pro like Randy Harris, Tom Givens, and a host of others in the region would be an excellent goal.

This has been a very informative thread and I appreciate reading all of the input.

Good Luck to you MidTNGlock. :up:

I think it would be better to add another variable to accuracy for a beginning shooter. I'd want to develop proper techniques before starting to reload. I shot and saved brass for awhile before attempting to reload.

Not sure what you mean... while not competition grade, the starter load data in any book will produce acceptable accuracy for a beginner. They do not have to be capable of all going through the same hole at 30 yards to be usable. When someone is talking that many rounds a week, its worth thinking about reloading, regardless of their skill level.

Speaking of the round count....

if no one said it, slow down. Speed comes later. I often, even now after decades of it, shoot 1 or 2 rounds in 30+ seconds when going for accuracy. Also, those numbers mean some fatigue; I know I am about done after 100 rounds. Think about quality over quanity for learning the basics.

Guest MidTNGlock

don't forget magpul's dvds... they are pricey though. Just go to the local range and find a friend (make sure he can shoot first though). Most ranges won't let you draw from from a holster for safety reasons, but you should get into the habit of drawing from your holster and shooting (slowly at first). Just don't try to go fast and shoot yourself in the leg and blame it on the holster like somebody on youtube did.

I've got those Magpul DVD's on my wishlist at Midway. They seem to get good reviews. I'll get them when I have the $.

One of the ROs at the range I go to shoots IDPA. He pretty much focused on safety with me my first day. I'll try to get some more pointers from him when I see him again. He can definitely shoot.

I will start practicing drawing and dry firing together at home. I definitely don't want Glock leg! :shake: