What a Hassle!

Since the old eyes are going South and my IDPA scores are reflecting it, I bought me a set of XS Big Dot sights off the web to try out on my Kimber Ultra CDP II. If they work out like I hope they do, I'll install a set on all my carry gun.

I've heard changing the dove tail sights on a Kimber can be risky doing it yourself, so decided to have them installed. I called the only three places locally that install sights, I should name them but I won't. All three said sure, bring it on in. So I drove the twenty minutes to the first gun store and presented my slide and XS sights for installation.

The guy looks at the slide and sights briefly and says, "I didn't know you were talking about a Kimber, I don't think we can do it without damaging it". Great!

Went back home and called the other two gun stores and verified they could install them on a Kimber CDP II, so I didn't waste anymore time and money on diesel. Ah, no, we rather not because blah, blah, blah.

Finally got a few more gunsmith's to call and finally found one 90 minutes away in Humboldt, TN., the closest one. He says he can do it?

I didn't realize the Kimbers are a pain to do anything with. And replacing the recoil springs in the CDP II is a real pain, torch, gloves, two sets pliers, locktite.

Now the really bad part. While I was in the gun shop in Humboldt, like any kid in a candy store, I got to looking around and fell in love again. There in the glass display case is a brand new Ruger GP100, .357 mag. Sir, may I see that there Ruger, YEA, that one.

I'm here to tell you, that thing was custom made for my hand and nice looking. I had my heart set on a Ruger SP101 until I fondled the GP100. She whispered in my ear what she would do for me if I took her home. I said, "OK honey, Sugar Daddy's here".

They were asking a premium price of $675.00 and I thought that was a bit steep. Still, the GP100 was whispering to me, "don't leave me here, I'm lonely". OK babe, your Sugar Daddy will be right with you.

Pulled out the old debit card to get my new girl out of jail, and the bad man said there was a 4% surcharge using a debit / credit card. I had to turn around and tell my new gal, "sorry you're just not worth it"!

On the bright side, when they call me and say my slide is ready to be picked up... Maybe I'll take my S&W 686+ seven shot revolver, 6 inch barrel and CT laser sights and see if I can get her out on parole. :pleased:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vca2004

Love your story - nicely written :popcorn: !

If you really liked her though, you shouldn't let her wait too long or she'll find somebody else...

Great story Dennis! :up:

Man, I hate you had trouble locating a smitty to change your sights. I had no idea that it would be a hassle with a Kimber.

It only took me about 15 minutes to put a set of Big Dot 24/7's on my Glock 17.

fwiw...I shot it/them in the ORSA IDPA Match last Saturday and was very pleased with the sights.

GP 100's are a mixture of Beauty & Beast...look great, feel great, and tough as nails. Let us know when you "spring her".

So what makes it so much harder to change the sights on a Kimber?

I guess the tight tolerance and cement used in the dove tail?

I've read in a number of places that sight pushers won't work on them (and was told that too by the first place I took it to). Evidently you have to use some hefty punches and sledge hammer to get them off, and no one wanted to take the chance of damaging the expensive slide. Me included!

If I like them, I'll order a set for my G-26 and install them myself. Plenty of videos out there showing how and it seems easy. Try finding a You Tube video showing how to change out a set of Kimber sights. I found dozens of makes and models, but no Kimbers?