Any Movie Theaters NOT posted?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just went to the Malco in Smyrna today with the kids. NO postings of any kid that I could find. No gunbuster etc. This makes me happy.

The Roxie in Lebanon is NOT posted. I don't think the Providence theater in Mt Juliet is either. Just carry concealed and don't worry about it. There is no way I'm going in a dark theater with my kids without being armed....and my kids always make sure I am.

Sent from my tweaked out EVO LTE

Edited by Gophert
Guest twpayne75

It's out of Tennessee, barely, but I went to Middlesboro Ky the other night to Carmike Cinema and it was not posted. I looked everywhere for one.

I'm relatively new to the area, but from what I've not seen is any out door drive in theaters. I guess I'll let my age show.

I came from the St. Louis area, and at one time we had a dozen drive in theaters to choose a movie from. Now I hear the very last one in Belleville, IL. closed last year.

I seldom attended the indoor movies but went to the outdoor drive in's all the time with the family. The relative privacy of your vehicle, the smell of the concession stand, the play ground in front of the screen for the kids, the pre-emptied 15 minutes of cartoons, the smell of fresh oil & gravel, driving off half asleep with the speaker still attached to your car window, the good old days.

I personally enjoyed the outside movies much more than being cooped up shoulder to shoulder in a cramped environment with distracting kids in front and behind me making it miserable to watch the movie. The freedom of cranking up that right leg in the privacy of your vehicle and being a role model for your kids and a thank you for the wife's supper.

I don't ever recall mass shootings at an outdoor drive in theater, do you?

Why do you suppose the outdoor drive in went the way of the dinosaur? Sure would be allot safer and healthier breathing the fresh air, providing I was absent of course :rock:

Guest twpayne75

I only know of one drive-thru theater that is still active. It on Volunteer Parkway about a mile above Bristol Motor Speedway. Haven't seen one anywhere else I have been.

This keeps coming up.

All Regal theatres, including Mt. Juliet/Providence, Green Hills, 100 Oaks, and Opry Mills, are posted, sort of. Regal has their list of rules printed on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper stuck near the entrances/ticket booth. the exact location varies by theatre. There is a dime-sized gunbuster on that sheet. The gunbuster meets the content requirement of TCA 39-17-1359. Some TGOers don't think the size/location meets the "plainly visible" part of TCA 39-17-1359. This is supported in part by the sheer number of posters on this site who think the Regals aren't posted.

No Carmike is properly posted in accordance with TCA 39-17-1359 that I know of. Pre-Aurora, there was no signage at all. Post-Aurora, they have printed a sign saying "no firearms allowed. Bags can be searched", or something like that. It is posted in various places. That sign in no way comes close to the content requirements in TCA 39-17-1359.

However, since there has been no case law on it yet, who knows how a DA and judge would interpret Carmike's sign and the law.

If a mall is posted and a theatre is inside the mall, no the theatre doesn't also have to be posted, unless the theatre also has its own entrance from the outside. The mall signs make the entire area beyond the sign off limits, including the theatre. Conversely, if a mall is not posted, but a theatre is, only the section of the building posted (the theatre) becomes off limits.

TCA 39-17-1359 allows a portion of a property to be posted and is only effective for the area beyond that posting. So in theory, a theater could place a gunbuster on the doors to the individual theatres but not the front doors.You could then enter the building, buy popcorn, play video games, etc. But you could not carry into the actual screening rooms. Likewise, a store in Opry Mills could post and you couldn't enter that specific store, which is what Regal is attempting to do.

I'm relatively new to the area, but from what I've not seen is any out door drive in theaters. I guess I'll let my age show.

I came from the St. Louis area, and at one time we had a dozen drive in theaters to choose a movie from. Now I hear the very last one in Belleville, IL. closed last year.

I seldom attended the indoor movies but went to the outdoor drive in's all the time with the family. The relative privacy of your vehicle, the smell of the concession stand, the play ground in front of the screen for the kids, the pre-emptied 15 minutes of cartoons, the smell of fresh oil & gravel, driving off half asleep with the speaker still attached to your car window, the good old days.

I personally enjoyed the outside movies much more than being cooped up shoulder to shoulder in a cramped environment with distracting kids in front and behind me making it miserable to watch the movie. The freedom of cranking up that right leg in the privacy of your vehicle and being a role model for your kids and a thank you for the wife's supper.

FYI, http://www.stardustdrivein.com/ in Watertown, TN

+1 for the stardust Drive In!

You can even bring your own food and just pay a small fee ($7 I think). We do this a lot and being fried chicken, watermelon or jersey mike sandwiches if we're not in the mood to order off their menu.

I only know of one drive-thru theater that is still active. It on Volunteer Parkway about a mile above Bristol Motor Speedway. Haven't seen one anywhere else I have been.

Well, in EAST Tennessee, there is one on Lamar Alexander Pkwy just east of Maryville. There is also one (there used to be, at least), a drive-in on the highway (Hwy 30?) between Etowah and Athens.

I quit going to the drive-in when jerks started trying to squeeze in beside you so they could get a better spot. Now I go to the indoor theaters in the nicer parts of town (Turkey Creek, around here) and only going during the week. And preferably during a matinee when it's least crowded. Haven't had any problems in a while.

Will

last drive in I hit was in atlanta, late 90s, but I bet it is still open. Dunno around here there was one but it opened, closed, opened, closed again, .... have not thought of it in ages. College, big screen outside, bring your own snacks & chairs, those were fun. Much better outside, if its a nice fall night or something.