Professional resume writer?

Just got a message from my Marine in Afghanistan:

"I need a favor sir... Do you know of any professional resume writers back home? If you do let me know please... A friend of mine recommended a Lockheed Martin position and it looks pretty promising. Let me know when you can."

Anybody?

Tell him to talk to his career planner and find out if there is a TAPS/TAMP coordinator on base. He is required to take those classes at least once before he EAS's and they will provide a lot of assistance in writing a nice professional resume.

I don't think he really needs a professional resume writer...there are plenty of good sites on the net that can help him craft a good resume.

Resume's are about 2% of the job hunt process...any decent job you apply for today is going to require you fill out detailed info online (unless it's some mom and pop type operation).

• Like 1

I'm certain that the Corps has a similar program to what the Army has for Servicemembers preparing to ETS. Resume writing classes should be available to him. However, if he is not experienced in it, I would suggest getting the training, assembling a resume, then taking it to a professional. It can be difficult for civilian resume writers to understand jargon that is relevant on a resume to a contractor like Lockheed, but a combination of his knowledge of jargon and the expertise of the writer should give you a good product. Some folks are not "resume inclined" and need help. It is worth the money to invest a few hundred dollars into a professional, trust me.

I agree with RobertNashvile. There are plenty of sites with free templates and info on the web and the office supply stores even sell kits with nice paper, envelopes, and software to help write one up.

The trick is to keep them concise, professional looking, and to write a good cover letter tailored for each employer.

• Like 1

I've seen hundreds of resumes by former Servicemembers after separating. Believe me, not everyone should do their own. When it comes to your future I don't see the benefit of being "thrifty". I'll spend more on ammo in a year than what it costs to get a professional to do a resume.

Edited by TMF

There are services put in place by the military that will help him for free. He just needs to go to the right person, ask around.

Bradley-Morris has a professional resume writing service that helped me for free. I did not realize how bad my resume looked until they got a hold of it and helped me rewrite it. They also are the ones who got my foot in the door at my current employer. The only catch is that you have to have a 4 year college degree. If any of you know a veteran in need of a career and has a Bachelor's degree or above, direct them to Bradley-Morris. I can't say enough about those folks, they're great.

Edited by Seabeejason
Guest TankerHC

The software is usually pretty poor when it comes to examples of Resumes. After I retired from the Army, I went to classes at Fort Rucker to learn how to write a Resume. The first job I applied to I got, it paid $75,000 per year with lots of responsibility. I left it after four years to start Contracting then when I was done contracting I used the same resume and again, was hired on the first job I applied for. This time it paid $160,000 per year and put me in another GM position with all kinds of benefits. I think both times my resume had a lot to do with it.

If you or he would like, I would be happy to email a copy of my resume for him to use as a template.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WyattEarp

I would be glad to help him write one if he still needs assistance. I have a very nice 1 page resume that is effective, easy to read and consists of only relevant information. I'm a senior at MTSU btw, and I excelled in my English and Journalism classes.

I'm certain that the Corps has a similar program to what the Army has for Servicemembers preparing to ETS. Resume writing classes should be available to him. However, if he is not experienced in it, I would suggest getting the training, assembling a resume, then taking it to a professional. It can be difficult for civilian resume writers to understand jargon that is relevant on a resume to a contractor like Lockheed, but a combination of his knowledge of jargon and the expertise of the writer should give you a good product. Some folks are not "resume inclined" and need help. It is worth the money to invest a few hundred dollars into a professional, trust me.

I had a soldier that had a resume like this. It was full of military accronyms and unless you had been in the military for a while you had no clue what any of it meant. I sat down with him and wrote out or put into better context those accronyms.

Also, tell him to not be afraid to build himself up on the resume. People are generally on each side of the spectrum, they either hold back because of modesty or embellish or flat out lie on their resume. Not saying to lie but you do need to build yourself up as the greatest thing since sliced bread. And when talking numbers do not write them out like "four" use the actual letter "4". And if it can be broken down to smaller increments to make the actual number bigger do that. On one of my resumes rather than mention square miles I used acres which made the same area appear that much bigger.

Resumes are used to get you in the door for an interview so you want it to read quickly with your accomplishments and stand out. Keep it to one page because most people who read them are looking through a stack of them and want to get through them quickly. But also have a more detailed resume if they ask for one. My detailed one is three pages where my regular one is always a single page.

And write the resume for the particular job you are applying for, showcasing your Knowledge, Skills and Abilities that apply to that particular job. A person hiring for a rocket scientist doesn't want to see how well you can dig ditches. I know I generally had 3 resumes depending on what I was applying for.

I know of very few companies that would actually hire based on the resume only.

Writing a resume isn't that hard, just a story about yourself in chronological order. And when you write it make yourself the hero of the story.

Dolomite

• Administrator

I would be glad to help him write one if he still needs assistance. I have a very nice 1 page resume that is effective, easy to read and consists of only relevant information. I'm a senior at MTSU btw, and I excelled in my English and Journalism classes.

No offense meant, but after interviewing about 12 job candidates, most of whom were college graduates, that's really not saying a whole lot. Real world, functional experience speaking.

I had a soldier that had a resume like this. It was full of military accronyms and unless you had been in the military for a while you had no clue what any of it meant. I sat down with him and wrote out or put into better context those accronyms.

Also, tell him to not be afraid to build himself up on the resume. People are generally on each side of the spectrum, they either hold back because of modesty or embellish or flat out lie on their resume. Not saying to lie but you do need to build yourself up as the greatest thing since sliced bread. And when talking numbers do not write them out like "four" use the actual letter "4". And if it can be broken down to smaller increments to make the actual number bigger do that. On one of my resumes rather than mention square miles I used acres which made the same area appear that much bigger.

Resumes are used to get you in the door for an interview so you want it to read quickly with your accomplishments and stand out. Keep it to one page because most people who read them are looking through a stack of them and want to get through them quickly. But also have a more detailed resume if they ask for one. My detailed one is three pages where my regular one is always a single page.

And write the resume for the particular job you are applying for, showcasing your Knowledge, Skills and Abilities that apply to that particular job. A person hiring for a rocket scientist doesn't want to see how well you can dig ditches. I know I generally had 3 resumes depending on what I was applying for.

I know of very few companies that would actually hire based on the resume only.

Writing a resume isn't that hard, just a story about yourself in chronological order. And when you write it make yourself the hero of the story.

Dolomite

Many good points here. I just finished with the Army's resume/interview workshop and all I can say is wow! I had no idea there is a certain paper you should use for resume's. Never thought of leaving the GI Jargon out of it. I learned a bunch.

One good tip he may use, I was told by our instructor that many of the folks reviewing a resume will know in the first few lines if they wan't to look any further. Your opeing section has to make you stand out.

Good luck, I'm going through the same thing now and it isn't too much fun.

Guest WyattEarp

No offense meant, but after interviewing about 12 job candidates, most of whom were college graduates, that's really not saying a whole lot. Real world, functional experience speaking.

no offense taken David and you raise a valid point. One of the big things thought that hurts a lot of college students, is the inability to write a proper and effective resume. Most type up 2-4 page resumes that have very irrelevant information in them that don't pertain to their skill sets or highlight their qualifications. I've always found through my experiences that a simple but detailed 1 page resume is the most effective. :)

Yes the paper it is written on makes a difference and not just the weight of it but the color. After I got out of the military I was reviewing a stack of resumes and had one printed on bright yellow paper. I did have him come in just to see what he was all about. I can't remember if we hired him or not but it got him in front of the hiring staff. I have seen pink ones and light blue as well.

Also, the heavy resume paper also makes very nice targets once you get that job. I use them to print my targets on all the time. Rather than tear like standard white paper they cut a lot cleaner making groups easier to measure.

Dolomite

I have had very poor luck using online resume services. What they send always seems to be just a pre-manufactured BS resume of something close to my occupation. I even sent it back a few times for revision. It was a complete waste of money. Your best bet it going to be buy a good resume program and actually get off your duff and make you a good resume. It isn't hard to do. You will have your resume complete in just a few hours versus a few weeks in the case of an online resume writer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a gal just called me that's a friend of a friend. Her firm specializes in helping military transition with resumes, job hunting, etc. She said they try not to make any money on kids coming out; they make their dough on the older retirees coming out looking for exec positions. Anyway, the cost is $995. That's more than just a resume; it's also getting his resume/face in the potential workplaces.

What do y'all think? That seems like a lot... probably because I can't really afford to help him much with it right now...

Yeah, I don't think I'd pay just short of a grand, that's crazy. A few of my buddies have used Orion in the past couple of years, I don't know what kind of skill set your Marine has but Orion wrote job resulting resumes for these people, and it's free. Bradley-Morris, as mentioned by Jason earlier, is another head hunter that will work is resume into something understandable and help him get a job.

Finally found the website I was given when I got out, www.turbotap.org/ is a DoD website that has a bunch of info for transitioning out. If he does decided to not spend the $$ and write a resume himself, make sure he uses the "Military-to-Civilian Skills Translator" and doesn't write down a bunch of military jargon.

It seems more of a career counselor than just a resume. This can be a huge help in getting interviews. A good resume writer should be $400-$500 anyways. Considering they spend hours with you getting to know you well enough to write a good resume.

I would find out how much is resume and how much is career placement help.

I paid $1500 to a career counselor an although I haven't found a job yet, I feel the money is well spent for the education I learned about finding a job as well as a resume that I can fine tune to each oppurtunity.

Just something you have to weigh. Of course your financial status comes into play as well.

Well, a gal just called me that's a friend of a friend. Her firm specializes in helping military transition with resumes, job hunting, etc. She said they try not to make any money on kids coming out; they make their dough on the older retirees coming out looking for exec positions. Anyway, the cost is $995. That's more than just a resume; it's also getting his resume/face in the potential workplaces.

What do y'all think? That seems like a lot... probably because I can't really afford to help him much with it right now...

Think it's crazy.. those of us who were in and have been out for a while can tell you that there are so many people/organizations that take advantage of soldiers fresh in or fresh out because most of them do not have experience dealing with either situation. They may be worth $1000, but ask them to provide you with their data showing how many people they have got employed, at what salaries and if they were in the field being sought. Any reputable headhunter will have all of that info.

But it all really depends on his education/MOS in what he can land... I found out that the $30/hour jobs coming out of the Army like we all thought we were getting are far and few between unless you have a very specific set of skills being looked for. Wort case scenario is he can get on unemployment and go to school full-time while receiving the GI Bill. That'll hold him over for at least a year during the transition

Wort case scenario is he can get on unemployment and go to school full-time while receiving the GI Bill. That'll hold him over for at least a year during the transition

With the Post-9/11 GI Bill this would be the best best best thing for a single Servicemember to do upon separation. He would get paid to go to school. He won't be rich, but he'll be better off than 90% of other college students and he'll already know a thing or two about life, which will come in handy for his studies and for relations with the chickipoos.

Edited by TMF