Mosin Nagant 91/30 hex or round?

Guest PapaB

I notice the hex receivers are a little more than the round ones. Being new to this I wonder is there a difference or is it just a popularity thing. What's the benefit of the hex receiver, if any. I'm thinking of getting my C&R before ordering but I want to be a smart shopper (or at least a slightly less ignorant one).

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read that the hex receivers are older and were made before the war really picked up. The soviets started to make the round ones because they were quicker to build. People also say that the hex ones are made with more care and precision but I don't know if thats just hype. I have a round 1944 91/30 and I'm pretty happy with it.

Here is an identification guide that may help you figure out the exact model you are looking at.http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm

Guest Aces&8s

Hex receivers cost more because they are earlier production, made before 1936, therefor "rarer," although there were millions of them produced, so I hesitate to use that term. The round receiver was introduced in 1930, but did not go into full production until 1935 at Izhevsk and 1936 at Tula. It is possible to find newer models on hex receivers, but those were either arsenal repaired or built using older receivers during the war.

If you are getting into C&R, don't worry, you will wind up with one of each... at least... And check out www.7.62x54r.net for any questions you have regarding the Mosin Nagant. It is a great resource.

Edit: Chadbuddy beat me to it!

Edited by gtv
Guest The Dude

hex recievers took more time to make, and the overall quality of the finished product was higher. if you go round, try to find a "low wall" reciever. when the war started, they started cutting corners to speed up production.

and basically, if it was made in '44 or earlier, it is likely the rifle saw combat.

Guest HvyMtl

Hex, as they state, are earlier. The fit and finish are better, as most were made during peace time, not war time. Several years of the early round ones are rough, because they were pushing them out as fast as they could during WWII.

Look at the Finnish Mosin Nagant. Talk about quality. M39 would be a great one to get, and there are still a lot available.

Guest TankerHC

Just my opinion but I own both. They are shooters. 100 dollar guns. Shooting either one you wont be able to tell the difference. And they arent collectables, never have been and never will be. Not with over 30 million manufactured and more coming in to be arsenal refinished every day.

There are however collectable Mosins. The Model 1916 produced by Remington and Westinghouse for the Russians, which the Russians never paid for or recieved were sold by CMP in the 70's. I have never seen one. But apparently they are very collecable. I have also read that some of those Model 1916's were restamped and issued to Mining Camp Police and Civil Defense Forces during WWI and that those are also very collectable.

Other than just having a Hex or Round reciever, you wont see any difference in the intended purpose of a Mosin. To get a cheap gun, with cheap ammo (For the time being) to go out and have fun with.

I disagree. Its not that they aren't collectable. They just wont ever be highly collectible. There will always be a market for them and they will go up in value, but just not enough to ever retire on. With that in mind I try to find the most desirable ones I can get and stay away from the more common ones. Try to find one with a nice bore, maybe a stock that has nice figuring in the grain and yes a hex reciever, especially earlier ones from the early 1930's or 1920's and made in Tula. I also only buy stamped matching numbers and not counterbored. Try to do everything you can to buy the most unique specimens you can. IMO down the road when you decide to sell and want to get some kind of return on your money, no matter how small, uniqueness will give you a big advantage.

Guest TankerHC

I disagree. Its not that they aren't collectable. They just wont ever be highly collectible. There will always be a market for them and they will go up in value, but just not enough to ever retire on. With that in mind I try to find the most desirable ones I can get and stay away from the more common ones. Try to find one with a nice bore, maybe a stock that has nice figuring in the grain and yes a hex reciever, especially earlier ones from the early 1930's or 1920's and made in Tula. I also only buy stamped matching numbers and not counterbored. Try to do everything you can to buy the most unique specimens you can. IMO down the road when you decide to sell and want to get some kind of return on your money, no matter how small, uniqueness will give you a big advantage.

I would say they are collectable as far as "You can own a bunch of them very cheap" goes. I agree with your statement, they arent very valuable. I disagree with the statement that they will go up in value. WIth a C&R you can buy cases of 15 for 60 bucks a piece. With so many millions of these in the US right now, and like I mentioned, more coming on the market every day, its unlikely the standard 91/30, whether Hex or Round will ever be worth more than around 150 bucks. Right now its easy to find arsenal refinished models with all the accesories for under 120. These guns arent Garands. The availablity is almost unlimited. I like em, they are fun and cheap to shoot. But thats about as afar as it goes.

Guest rebeldrummer

I would say they are collectable as far as "You can own a bunch of them very cheap" goes. I agree with your statement, they arent very valuable. I disagree with the statement that they will go up in value. WIth a C&R you can buy cases of 15 for 60 bucks a piece. With so many millions of these in the US right now, and like I mentioned, more coming on the market every day, its unlikely the standard 91/30, whether Hex or Round will ever be worth more than around 150 bucks. Right now its easy to find arsenal refinished models with all the accesories for under 120. These guns arent Garands. The availablity is almost unlimited. I like em, they are fun and cheap to shoot. But thats about as afar as it goes.

there are a lot of people who do not COLLECT these rifles and as such they have not delved into the history of these rifles. Not having a proper knowledge of these leads to a misunderstanding in regards to true value. and just because a store or a shop sells them for a cheap price does not mean that's all they are worth 8/10 times store fronts and pawn shops will NOT have an adequate knowledge base on these and will UNDER price them (to collectors benefit!) .... i will say your prices are right, for common to very-semi uncommon variants but that's it. Remington and Westinghouse M91's are $250 (very rough) to $400 (very good) also USSR stamped (Spanish civil war model 91/30's) are bring $150 - $175 right now. Prices on Nagants 10 years ago were $50 - $60. To pay over $100 was absurd. Now the base, very typical (42-44) Izzy rounds are $89 - $109 depending where you are at. Take a look at K98's....my father in law used to buy them for $150-$200 10-12 years ago now anything under $400 is a steal and $450 - $500 is common. Given time the 91/30's will go up up up. We will only get so many more imported, then they will be bought up for collections and dry up. Then prices will soar. There are two sides to the whole 91/30 world....the "shooters" and the "collectors"

I my self am a little of both. I have some very rare and desirable ones which I do not shoot that are valued anywhere from $250 - $400 (Finnish, Remmy's and Westy's) If your looking for a shooter than just find you ANY 91/30 (round or hex - Tula or Izzy) If you want a "better of the two" then go with a 36 or earlier Tula. However you do want to check the marking, stamps both on top and underneath. If you end up w/ a nice collector you might want to be easy on it and let the value climb. The most common on the market are 1943 - 1944 Izzys. Matching is not going to matter if your just shooting it. They can be just as accurate as a hex.

Another GREAT resource is gunboards.com. they have an amazing library of information solely dedicated to Mosin Nagants. They have their own section in the forums. They have the most knowledgeable guys over there in regards to them as well. Once you get on there and look around you will see what I am talking about in regards to "shooters" value as opposed to "collectors" value!!!

Good luck. And if you have in other questions feel free to pm me and we can chat. I love talking about these rifles.

If Russia ever discontinues the 7.62x54 machine gun, maybe the cheap surplus stock would dry up?

Certainly, if rounds start costing a buck each or so, I'd think the average Mosin is gonna be worth $25.

Or maybe there's enough sport rifles distributed world wide, or even just in America, that Russia would continue to crank out cheaper rounds than the US domestic ones, but still higher than the surplus goes for now?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

50 years ago people thought the same thing about Mausers, Enfields, Springfields, Krags, etc......

Cant buy them by the case any more for $60 apiece and even if you could by your admission they will be worth $150. Now how can you go on to say they wont go up in value. That is 150% return. I'd take that any day of the week even if it is over a period of ten years. Will they ever be worth what a Garand or K98 is, most likely never, but they will go up in value, just make sure you buy the right ones to maximize your investment.
Guest TankerHC

50 years ago people thought the same thing about Mausers, Enfields, Springfields, Krags, etc......

Yes, your correct. And 30 million Enfields, Mausers, Krags, etc were not manufactured.

Guest TankerHC

Cant buy them by the case any more for $60 apiece and even if you could by your admission they will be worth $150. Now how can you go on to say they wont go up in value. That is 150% return. I'd take that any day of the week even if it is over a period of ten years. Will they ever be worth what a Garand or K98 is, most likely never, but they will go up in value, just make sure you buy the right ones to maximize your investment.

My point. Top dollar for a 91/30 completely arsenal refinished with all accesories is around $150 right now. The market price for one of these is around $100-$115. These guns are NOT Enfields, or 30-40 krags or anything else. They are a CHEAP, highly mass produced gun.

I think there might be some mis-interpretation here. I am not putting down the 91/30. I like them, for what they are. I have 2 '42's right now and an M44 (And have owned about a dozen others), and I plan to buy more. But they have never been and never will be true "collectables", but are they collectable? Sure, as in if you just want to collect them just to collect them. I am.

i bought my first k98 back in the early 90's for $69,look at the prices now. i also bought my first 91/30 for $25. .i disagree that they are not collector rifles.they made alot but we will not see all of them and i have noitced that they are not as many being imported or sold like a few years ago.i like the hex's better because they were made better but they are getting harder to find and the price keeps going up.just keep thinking they are only $100 guns and just wait afew years to see the price.buy them and the ammo while you still can.and if you can find a good finn rifle buy it.the ammo prices will also go through the roof before it dries up.i stocked up on the 8mm when it was $40-$50 a case and still buying the nagant ammo.

Edited by dou44
Guest rebeldrummer

My point. Top dollar for a 91/30 completely arsenal refinished with all accesories is around $150 right now. The market price for one of these is around $100-$115. These guns are NOT Enfields, or 30-40 krags or anything else. They are a CHEAP, highly mass produced gun.

I think there might be some mis-interpretation here. I am not putting down the 91/30. I like them, for what they are. I have 2 '42's right now and an M44 (And have owned about a dozen others), and I plan to buy more. But they have never been and never will be true "collectables", but are they collectable? Sure, as in if you just want to collect them just to collect them. I am.

Not being a jerk but the only mis-interpretation is yours really. The "average" 91/30 may not be too valuable, for now, but once all the good ones are gone than they will become more desirable thus more valuable thus more collectible. There are many versions of this rifle....and there are many factors that go into making one more valuable/collectible than others. 30 million WERE MADE does not mean that 30 million WERE IMPORTED. Also, the Izzy comp has gone bankrupt and are destroying 10's of 1000's of these and many other weapons as we speak. Google the story to confirm validity if needed. Sooner than later we will see importing slow way down. And eventually nearly cease.

I'm with rebel on this one. It may not happen in my lifetime but either my kids or grandchildren or maybe even great grandchildren will eventually be hard pressed to find these at whatever the future equivalent to $100 bucks.

I bought three 91/30s last month and am keeping one boxed up in the original cosmoline just in case I do live to see the day.

Between all the rifles bubba'ed, confiscated by the popo as evidence, turned in for $50 Starbucks gift cards, buried in preppers back yards and forgotten, and just plain old used and abused there will be a day when even an average clean example are considered collectables. Hell I consider them collectable now, just not expensive.

Ditto on the ammo, that will most likely be the first to go way way up. I need to put in an order pretty quick.

So collectable, yes absolutely.

Having said that I also won't be banking my retirement on them.

i may not get rich but in the next 5-10 years i bet we will see the prices sky rocket.invest $30 in a c&r license and you can get it delivered to your house for around $110 for a round reciever , the more you buy the cheaper they are.i just sold a matching laminated 1948 m44 that i bought acouple of years ago for $250 and only had $50 in it. and i sold it to a guy in a gunshop where a friend of mine works.he did not want what is on the market now because they are junk.the gunshop ordered 3 and sent all back because they looked so bad.