Negative Reputation Points - Disabled. Feel free to discuss here.

• Administrator

The facility that the forum software provides to issue negative Reputation Points to members has been DISABLED.

This feature was never intended to be used as a popularity contest or -- worse yet -- as a means of issuing tit for tat dings against a person for the sake of juvenile inability to get along. It was intended to be a way to reward people for posting good information and to give the members a way to "police themselves" by showing each other who the bad apples in the bushel were.

Because some members just cannot seem to get away from grade-school bickering with each other and have insisted on abusing the ability to register negative reputation points, I have re-configured the feature so that only positive points can be issued.

Honestly I am extremely disappointed. It's a sad day when a group of grown adults can't act their ages and as a result the entire community loses out on something that should have been a useful tool.

You know who you are and you should be ashamed.

Guest bkelm18

The whole reputation point system is rather silly, IMO. Seems just like an internet version of a circle jerk (pardon the expression). It's never be used how it's intended. People will give a +1 to anything they agree with no matter if it's good information or not (and vice versa). Hell, look at me. I hardly ever participate in a meaningful manner anymore (for various reasons) and really just post crap to stir the pot and I've got almost 300 rep points. People might get the impression I'm a good source for information. :lol:

Edited by bkelm18
  • Administrator

The whole reputation point system is rather silly, IMO. Seems just like an internet version of a circle jerk (pardon the expression). It's never be used how it's intended. People will give a +1 to anything they agree with no matter if it's good information or not (and vice versa). Hell, look at me. I hardly ever participate in a meaningful manner anymore (for various reasons) and really just post crap to stir the pot and I've got almost 300 rep points. People might get the impression I'm a good source for information. :lol:

Good points. An alternative ending might be you trying to post things in a meaningful manner rather than trying to stir the pot. The age old "be a part of the solution or a part of the problem" dilemma.

Guest bkelm18

Good points. An alternative ending might be you trying to post things in a meaningful manner rather than trying to stir the pot. The age old "be a part of the solution or a part of the problem" dilemma.

True, but since the rating system doesn't really affect me, I really don't view it as a problem that needs my addressing. I used to post meaning, helpful, insightful, friendly stuff, but too many ding dongs have shown up over the years and I've just lost my appetite to help people who've gotten their head up you know where. However that's neither here nor there and I don't want to drive your thread off on a tangent regarding how much of a loser I am anymore. :):P

Edited by bkelm18

I get eat up with -rep alot but for the most part somebody always evens that out I feel for the guy on here with the red halo masterchief avatar goes buy ArmyVeteran37214

He was like negative 50 or something for posting ron paul vids and conspiracy vids Im always trying to throw out +1 to folks and every time I see one of his post I try to throw a +1 at him I think he is up to like -20 or something now.

Honestly rep really doesnt matter unless your a seller I could see how having someone -1 you all day everyday could hurt you if you were a seller.

there are some folks who will join a topic and go back 10 pages and -1 every single one of your post so I guess removing it is good I would rather quote the recipiant and give them a :down: than a -1 anyday :)

Edited by plank white
  • Administrator

Maybe I missed it when the current TGO website came online, but was the reputation point system ever explained in the beginning?

I'd have to search, the same way you would. If it wasn't explained in detail, I am sure that I had assumed folks would use some common sense and maturity about it.

I'd have to search, the same way you would. If it wasn't explained in detail, I am sure that I had assumed folks would use some common sense and maturity about it.

Well, now, you know what happens when you do that, don't you? :dunno: After all, we're talking about human behavior here.

I admit to being as guilty as anyone in my misunderstanding of the system and I apologize for it.

Edited by DaddyO

Honestly rep really doesnt matter unless your a seller I could see how having someone -1 you all day everyday could hurt you if you were a seller.

If a buyer has an issue with a seller, or vice versa, the mods should get involved. It works out much better than hitting a -1 button. And some infractions require more than just a -1 IMHO. We take a neutral approach and investigate it then hold those accountable that need to be. I know it sounds heavy handed but we try very hard to make sure both the buyers and sellers on here are protected. And that the transactions go as smoothly as possible. All it takes is a welcher or two to ruin the trust we have amongst our members. And when that happens people are afraid to sell or buy anything.

People need to realize that we are a family and as such we should be here to help each other in their time of need. And going around making the veiled insults or hitting ALL the -1's for a member do no good for the board or its members. It makes people less likely to help when the time comes.

We are in a unique position as far as websites go. We can and do meet each other on a regular basis. And all I ask is that the members act the same on here as if the person were standing in front of them.

Dolomite

I suppose I am a guilty party in this, but I too must plead ignorance. For my part, I just saw it as a "like/dislike" feature kind of like Facebook. I did not see any detailed explanation and I try to pay attention to announcements. I did not see this as some sort of project that required deep critical analysis of someone's comments. It's a web forum for exchanging ideas and entertainment as much as it is a source for general information (information that is really nothing more than someone's opinions, however well-informed it may be). It's similar to the "subject matter expert" experiment - I'm under the impression that it's not really being actively pursued at this point although a small number of people still have the label. At the end of the day, we know nothing about why someone was chosen as a SME, why others were not given the designation, nor does it really matter since people choose to believe what they want regardless of what someone claims to know.

I'm not sure why anyone would get their knickers in a twist over "reputation points" on a web forum anyhow. It's not like they really mean anything. So some faceless person on the Internet likes what I had to say or not. OK, whatever... :shrug:

At this point, I won't +1 anything just to save myself the worry of reading another dress-down that suggests I am being a child because I used a feature on a web forum that wasn't really discussed or the purpose explained. I appreciate all the hard work that goes into this site, and I support it as a benefactor, but frankly I think some folks take these things a little too seriously and the petty comments get a bit old (I suspect this is what bkelm18 is referring to as well).

• Like 1
Guest bkelm18

I suppose I am a guilty party in this, but I too must plead ignorance. For my part, I just saw it as a "like/dislike" feature kind of like Facebook. I did not see any detailed explanation and I try to pay attention to announcements. I did not see this as some sort of project that required deep critical analysis of someone's comments. It's a web forum for exchanging ideas and entertainment as much as it is a source for general information (information that is really nothing more than someone's opinions, however well-informed it may be). It's similar to the "subject matter expert" experiment - I'm under the impression that it's not really being actively pursued at this point although a small number of people still have the label. At the end of the day, we know nothing about why someone was chosen as a SME, why others were not given the designation, nor does it really matter since people choose to believe what they want regardless of what someone claims to know.

I'm not sure why anyone would get their knickers in a twist over "reputation points" on a web forum anyhow. It's not like they really mean anything. So some faceless person on the Internet likes what I had to say or not. OK, whatever... :shrug:

At this point, I won't +1 anything just to save myself the worry of reading another dress-down that suggests I am being a child because I used a feature on a web forum that wasn't really discussed or the purpose explained. I appreciate all the hard work that goes into this site, and I support it as a benefactor, but frankly I think some folks take these things a little too seriously and the petty comments get a bit old (I suspect this is what bkelm18 is referring to as well).

I'd give you a +1 but that would be self defeating. :P You summed up my thoughts well. The whole thing seems rather silly. Being chided for misusing a system that was probably never intended to be used as a serious research tool is a little odd to me. I too don't remember receiving detailed instructions on the use of the system though I probably wouldn't have paid attention to it because it would've just made things even more silly. Just my opinions of course. Which are pretty much worthless. Like I said earlier, this whole rating system is really nothing more than a penis measuring contest no matter if it's here or on Facebook.

Edited by bkelm18

I'd give you a +1 but that would be self defeating. :P You summed up my thoughts well. The whole thing seems rather silly. Being chided for misusing a system that was probably never intended to be used as a serious research tool is a little odd to me. I too don't remember receiving detailed instructions on the use of the system though I probably wouldn't have paid attention to it because it would've just made things even more silly. Just my opinions of course. Which are pretty much worthless. Like I said earlier, this whole rating system is really nothing more than a penis measuring contest no matter if it's here or on Facebook.

Maybe we can just use :up: and :down: this point on... or might that be seen as a misuse of the emoticon feature? :stir:

• Administrator

Maybe we can just use :up: and :down: this point on... or might that be seen as a misuse of the emoticon feature? :stir:

We've been doing that around here for years. If you have to ask yourself if my comments about the system being abused pertained to how you used it... chances are they don't.

We've been doing that around here for years. If you have to ask yourself if my comments about the system being abused pertained to how you used it... chances are they don't.

OK. Then wouldn't it be better to just deal with the problem people directly and make a general statement clarifying the purpose of the feature instead of a blanket generic chastisement? Just a suggestion.

OK. Then wouldn't it be better to just deal with the problem people directly and make a general statement clarifying the purpose of the feature instead of a blanket generic chastisement? Just a suggestion.

Yeah because I'm fairly certain all my 1911 bashing deserves a -1 per post. :rofl:

• Like 1
Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Now that TGO David has made it so that neg. rep is not being recorded, maybe a reset of the rep would be in order. Just my 2Cents.gif

Edited by ArmyVeteran37214

Now that TGO David has made it so that neg. rep is not being recorded, maybe a reset of the rep would be in order. Just my 2Cents.gif

While I don't agree with much of your beliefs, I often try to offset you with a +1 when folks come by and -1 ya. Nearly all of them were just folks that disagreed with you politically, not because of a wrongful action on your part.

• Like 1

Why not just do away with the rep points altogether? There is no possible way in a community this large it will end well. Kinda like the SME, it serves no real purpose. After all this is an internet forum. Not an expert answer question service that needs validity. Maybe we can have Letterman jackets so we can know who the cool kids are instead of rep points? :cool:

I appreciate David's attempt to add new and cool features but it will/has just ended up with more work for him and more ignorant internet drama. :drama: