Negative Reputation Points - Disabled. Feel free to discuss here.

Guest bkelm18

Why not just do away with the rep points altogether? There is no possible way in a community this large it will end well. Kinda like the SME, it serves no real purpose. After all this is an internet forum. Not an expert answer question service that needs validity. Maybe we can have Letterman jackets so we can know who the cool kids are instead of rep points? :cool:

I appreciate David's attempt to add new and cool features but it will/has just ended up with more work for him and more ignorant internet drama. :drama:

This.

Personally, I don't recall EVER making any reputation vote let alone negatives. People are entitled to express their opinions, and opinions are like butt-holes: everyone has one and they all stink. I think the only time reputation is important is when performing a property transaction, (sale, gift, etc).

Personally I like to be able agree or disagree with a post with a click of a mouse instead of sucking up bandwidth with post of "+1" or "Me too" or "I think you're full of crap"

Maybe if the positives and negatives didn't accumulate and give a person a defining number that other, less than understanding types, might misinterpret as "this is a bad guy" it would be better????

The fact that I don't care if Gary Johnson is elected supreme chancellor of the united federation of planets doesn't mean squat to ArmyVeterans personal reputation. The guy is cool and done nothing wrong.

• Like 2

Some sites have a "thanks" button, like Survivalist Boards.

I makes a bit more sense in that context, like "interesting", "enjoyable", "helpful", "informative"

- OS

Meh. The value of "thanks" is debased by over usage. Who gives a rats ass what anyone else thinks about a certain post?

I've always viewed forums as discussion boards. Do people sit around during a discussion and say like, thanks or +1? I reckon folks say I agree or disagree, but then usually something of substance is added to go along with it.

• Administrator

OK. Then wouldn't it be better to just deal with the problem people directly and make a general statement clarifying the purpose of the feature instead of a blanket generic chastisement? Just a suggestion.

No.

Sometimes everyone at large needs a reminder that (a.) this place isn't run by popular vote and general ass-clownery will not be tolderated, and (b.) that ass-clownery will be dealt with even if the wheels turn a bit slowly for some folks preference. What you see as being a blanket generic chastisement I see as being the public reminder that some folks need and other folks want to see.

While I don't agree with much of your beliefs, I often try to offset you with a +1 when folks come by and -1 ya. Nearly all of them were just folks that disagreed with you politically, not because of a wrongful action on your part.

What he said^

And that is what brings down a system like this.

Edited by JohnC

While I don't agree with much of your beliefs, I often try to offset you with a +1 when folks come by and -1 ya. Nearly all of them were just folks that disagreed with you politically, not because of a wrongful action on your part.

I know I gave ArmyVeteran quite a few negative 1s so I'm apparently one of the bad apples that precipitated the system change and the dressing down.

For the sake of clarity, however, the negatives given to him had a lot less to do with the political message and a lot more to do with the quality of the sources of the videos (and that there were so many videos; all of which seemed to say the same thing).

That said, I am not sure why these reputation points are such a big deal...as East_TN_Patriot noted, I saw it much like the "like" feature on Facebook and although I did later find an explanation for how reputation points were intended to work, I had to go look for it...something I suspect that few did.

As has been said, this is an internet forum - no matter what opinion someone holds there will always be some who agree and others who disagree...if the forum has negative and positive reputation points then I don't know why those who disagree/agree with what someone has said or has any similar reasons wouldn't be expected to do give negatives and positives. :shrug:

I haven't hit any + or - buttons and honestly didn't even know how to +1 (or -1) someone until reading this thread and noticing the up arrow in the lower, right hand corner. I knew other people were, apparently, engaging in positive or negative rep but really wasn't concerned enough to find out how. I also had no idea how to find out what my 'rep' was on here. I guess I am behind the times - I refuse to join TwitterFace (if I want my friends to know what I am doing then I will call, text or email and tell them - I have no desire for someone with whom I had a class in 1994 to know that I have diarrhea today or whatever) so I am not really familiar with the whole "like" concept, either. Rep points don't mean much, to me. Hell, I'm a smartass who couldn't care less if someone doesn't like me in real life much less on an Internet forum (although I must say I enjoy the discussions on here more often than not.) If something I say helps someone else out, cheers them up or just makes them think then that is good but I don't need/seek approval for the things I say. That need for approval, often from more or less random strangers, seems to be much more prevalent in younger folks (not that I am 'old' - I'm 41.) Also, the need for approval or agreement used to be more prevalent among women but seems to have spread to younger men, as well (not intended as a negative comment or a 'slam', just an observation.) As such, the whole 'like this post' thing I see on other forums as well as 'positive and negative rep' really seems pretty silly, to me.

Edited by JAB
Guest rebeldrummer

TGO David (any anyone else) what about making it so that you have to hit a certain post count before you get the option to like or dislike?

or you have to have a certain number of positive "rep" points?

Just throwing ideas out there...basically thinking of a way to make it a "privilege" to us...gives people a reason to keep things positive and actually contribute good, useful information to the site???

or even a tier'd level for member status? giving new privileges once you reach each new tier? I am a huge gamer and thought about how in gaming, like Call of Duty, you unlock more perks the higher level you get?? I know in that sense, we gamers, strive to do our best to reach those levels...

just a thought? might completely suck?!? I am medicated right now trying to get over the back injury so my thinking might be a little "askew"

THANK GOODNESS THERE IS NO MORE BIG RED ARROWS TO PUSH!!! ha ha ha