1x42" belt sander/grinder

I pulled the trigger and ordered a Viel S-5-M

http://www.vieltools.com/detail.php?p=NTQy&l=ZW4= to replace my homemade 1x42 belt sander that doesn't track accurately and takes too long to change belts. The 4th link below shows a fella using a 1x42 to sharpen a knife. His machine is a Baldor but the Viel changes belts the same way. I've used quite a few systems including paper wheels on bench grinders and the 1x42 belt grinder. I have a number of other sharpening systems. The belt sander is fast and safe. Paper wheels are fast and sometimes not so safe. I have an Edgepro Apex I have had for years with a wide variety of stones, tapes and diamond blocks. I've had Lansky and Gatcos and have just about every brand of stone and handheld gadget there is. I've even had a couple of those electric gadgets like the Chef's Choice. So far nothing beats the 1x42 IMHO.

http://www.vieltools.com/detail.php?p=NTQy&l=ZW4=

http://www.mwells.org/woodworking/sharpening/review---viel-tools-s5-belt-grinder

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/belt.htm

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive never used a sander to sharpen a knife. I guess the closest thing Ive done is putting the first edge on a newly forged blade. Id worry about thinning the blade with a sander. Do you use the belt sanders to do any stock removal knife making?

Guest Broomhead

Ive never used a sander to sharpen a knife. I guess the closest thing Ive done is putting the first edge on a newly forged blade. Id worry about thinning the blade with a sander. Do you use the belt sanders to do any stock removal knife making?

I have a Harbor Frieght 1x30 belt grinder (it's called a sander when using it with wood and a grinder with metal, semantics I know) that I use for making stock removal knives (so far I've only finished one, but have three more in the works). I haven't yet, but I will also be using it to set the edge on the blade for the initial sharpening. My next grinder will be a Craftsman 2x42.

Graycrait, what belt grits do you use for sharpening?

I've never made a knife of any kind, but used to have every book written on the subject. I used to make leather knife sheaths for a fella who made knives. I designed a small fixed blade knife and then had a friend in Scotland do up some CAD renditions in both fixed and folder. Then I commissioned a fella in Georgia, USA to make one example of the knife.

I've paper wheel sharpening up to a couple of months ago when I inherited this jury rigged homemade 1x42. I must have 40 belts including a couple of leather ones. Right now I have a Zirconian 120 belt on it and it brings up a wire edge which I take off on the paper buffing wheel. Works for me know. I will wait until I get the Viel S-5-M before I start using a leather belt to finish the edge.

I have a Harbor Frieght 1x30 belt grinder (it's called a sander when using it with wood and a grinder with metal, semantics I know) that I use for making stock removal knives (so far I've only finished one, but have three more in the works). I haven't yet, but I will also be using it to set the edge on the blade for the initial sharpening. My next grinder will be a Craftsman 2x42.

Graycrait, what belt grits do you use for sharpening?

I've got the same sander. I use Klingspor paper-backed belts and a surgi-sharp leather belt for final honing.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. Some of the other "gadgets" cost near as much or more. Such as the Wicked Edge and Edge Pro I've been considering. especially if you count extra stones etc. I've been looking at sharperner systems for awhile having a burning need to improve sharpening skills after free handing for years. Curious with the "gadgets" which one you like the best? The viel looks nice and I assume the angle table would be used to set the correct angle on the edge.