Zimmerman's attorneys not using "Stand your ground" defense

Guest HvyMtl

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57492488/george-zimmermans-attorneys-wont-use-stand-your-ground-defense/

At least, that is what they are claiming, as of now, they are not using the "stand your ground" defense. Just "self defense."

Thoughts as to why?

Probably because that's the legal concept that applies.

I never thought this was a "stand your ground" incident; it was the press, trying to score points for their prejudices, who keep trying to make it into a stand your ground issue.

Guest 6.8 AR

Makes sense to me. If the article is accurate, what does SYG have to do with it?

After all the political/racist crap is aside, this case will vanish.

His first lawyer said they weren't using SYG as a defense early on. That's why I never understood all the SYG hype.

It makes sense they aren't using it. His story is that he was attacked and pinned by Martin. SYG wouldn't make sense because that would imply he could have run away or escaped, but instead "stood his ground" and defended himself.

I've never understood how SYG kept coming up in this case. The defense is obviously going to have to stick to the story as told by Zimmerman, right? The story he told about what happened (unless I'm badly mistaken) was that he was on his back getting beaten when he deployed his weapon. Whatever decision comes out in court about that claim there's no "ground being stood" when you're claiming to be on your back getting throttled.

This is going to be decided as a straight-up SD case, one way or the other.

I've never understood how SYG kept coming up in this case. The defense is obviously going to have to stick to the story as told by Zimmerman, right? The story he told about what happened (unless I'm badly mistaken) was that he was on his back getting beaten when he deployed his weapon. Whatever decision comes out in court about that claim there's no "ground being stood" when you're claiming to be on your back getting throttled.

This is going to be decided as a straight-up SD case, one way or the other.

My guess is that an early statement from the PD said they had to release him IAW the SYG law. I don't know all the ins and outs of the law there, but I recall the talking heads making reference to it in the beginning and explained that I was the reason police couldn't take him into custody the night of the incident.

My guess is that an early statement from the PD said they had to release him IAW the SYG law. I don't know all the ins and outs of the law there, but I recall the talking heads making reference to it in the beginning and explained that I was the reason police couldn't take him into custody the night of the incident.

While it's quite possible that was stated somewhere by someone (God knows the media wouldn't know any better or even, as Robert suggests above, were complicit in pushing a SYG angle) I believe it's FL law, nonwithstanding SYG, that if someone claims SD and there's no probable cause for an arrest the person has to be released. In truth I don't know if it's all that different in other states. I know a person can't simply be held indefinitely without being charged.

His first lawyer said they weren't using SYG as a defense early on. That's why I never understood all the SYG hype.

It makes sense they aren't using it. His story is that he was attacked and pinned by Martin. SYG wouldn't make sense because that would imply he could have run away or escaped, but instead "stood his ground" and defended himself.

His current lawyer was going to use it because it eliminates the jury. Guess he changed his mind. I get notifications from those guys via Facebook when they release any information. The strategy WAS to go through the stand your ground process first.

Guest 6.8 AR

They didn't keep him in custody that night because the first DA disagreed with the detectives and said

there was no case. It looked like self defense to him.

Of course, that was before Corey and the racists caught wind, not necessarily in that order.

Guest 6.8 AR

The only fair trial that will happen is when the state's attorney(Corey) drops all charges and she has boxed herself in

too much of a corner to do that. The judge needs to recuse himself for his remarks. The people of Sanford ought to

threaten a damned lynch mob back at the New Pink Panther Party, if they don't get their asses out of town.

If any of that happens, there will be pigs flying.