Thinking about taking the plunge....

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest rebeldrummer

That's right....im more interested now than ever about getting a .22 can.

Here is my issue, I don't even know where to begin.

My applications will be for my 10/22 and my future purchases (M&P .22 pistol and AR)

Give me some suggestions on cans please....I am sure that in regards to these, you get what you pay for.

I don't have deep pockets. I would like to stay under $350 (if possible?)

Thanks for the help guys

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rebeldrummer

$350 + tax stamp right?

Yes sir...I should have been clearer on mpthat. Sorry

I meant $350 for the can...

I have been looking at the Outback? Any thoughts

Get a 9mm can. It will still be quiet on your 22, and not cost you more than your budget.. If you are going to wait 9 months on the stamp, make it count.

I have a 9mm LRP can that I run on both. It is a K-Baffle design. Very happy with it. He is located in Andersonville.

Edited by atlas3025
Guest colombianito1021

I wouldn't get a 9mm can. It's a) going to be longer, heavier at the end of your hosts B) not going to be as good c) for $350 the quality/performance is going to suffer and MOST importantly you risk having baffle strikes AND .22 shoots really dirty.

I would get a Silencerco Sparrow. The price is just a little above your budget but it blows everything out of the water.

One thing not mention, you could go with a 556 can and shoot 22 out of it, you'll pay more but you'll cover 2 calibers you mentioned, I have a YHM 556 Phantom and have shot both out of it, while the 22 round is very dirty, YHM emailed me stating it was ok to do this and told me to soak the suppressor in mineral spirits over night and blow it out with compressed air after 1500 rounds, I have since sold my 22 stuff and only shoot it on what it was designed for....

One more tip you might what to check one out in action, so your not dissapointed after your approved and you realize it's not that quite...

I have also shot 22 out of my 9MM Bowers fullsize can, I don't think that's a bad idea, to get a baffle strike would require something major to happen (can loose, etc), BTW this set up wasn't quite either...

Guest rebeldrummer

thanks for the tips....maybe Dolomite Superfly will get in here and give his thoughts and opinions. I know he is a SME when it comes to this stuff.....

I wouldn't get a 9mm can. It's a) going to be longer, heavier at the end of your hosts B) not going to be as good c) for $350 the quality/performance is going to suffer and MOST importantly you risk having baffle strikes AND .22 shoots really dirty.

I would get a Silencerco Sparrow. The price is just a little above your budget but it blows everything out of the water.

Baffle strikes? Shooting a 22 out of a 9mm can? Unless the can is made off center, I don't see how that is going to happen. Its a take apart can, just like a 22, so I don't see how the dirty part matters either. On my 22/45 shooting subs, the noise is mainly action working, so I don't think performance suffers that much, the can is maybe 2 inches longer than a dedicated 22 can, plus it works for 300 blackout as well. YMMV, of course.

I would recommend the Sparrow. If you look around and shop smart, you can get them for 350 sometimes. Its top notch in the land of 22 cans.

Another option would be the Huntertown Arms Kestrel. Instead of a monocore, you get K baffles but still a nice easy to take apart and easy to clean design. Its also under your budget.

There are a lot of very good .22 suppressors out there. YHM and GemTech are among the best. I just had my old (bought new in 2000) Outback updated by GemTech. They replaced the entire baffle stack and upgraded it to the latest specs for a very reasonable price.

I would suggest a company that is going to be around for a while as suppressor technology is still moving pretty fast. What is state of the art today will be almost antiquated in another ten years. Upgrading a suppressor is very easy with no paperwork from ATF. Just send it off and they ship it right back to you directly.

First, YHM is NOT among the best in 22 cans.

Second, supressor technology is really at a peak right now. Major manufacturers are within 5 decibels of each other and materials, size and weight are really the only things that are changing. A new generation can will only have size and weight as a selling point over an old one right now.

I like that they are continuing to push the envelope but there just aren't a lot of gains happening. If something happens and we do see a big breakthrough, the next step will be movie quiet.

Guest rebeldrummer

I don't get it, you asked for suggestions on a open forum but only williing to accept a SME, maybe you should have used the PM button.

I am confused to this reply? maybe you did not read my response correctly...

I merely asked for his, or ANY SME's input or advice.

Seeing as how Dolomite is probably one of THE BEST and MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE people when it comes to cans, his advice or input

would be highly regarded.

Not to say that others wouldn't ... but you can ask anyone on this site about his knowledge and skills and they would agree with me.

Your new here with only 88 posts so I would understand that you wouldn't know that yet but still...i think you mis-read what I said

Guest rebeldrummer

I would recommend the Sparrow. If you look around and shop smart, you can get them for 350 sometimes. Its top notch in the land of 22 cans.

Another option would be the Huntertown Arms Kestrel. Instead of a monocore, you get K baffles but still a nice easy to take apart and easy to clean design. Its also under your budget.

I have read A LOT of good about the sparrow so that is on my list for sure....I also plan on looking into the H.A.K you have mentioned.

Thanks for the tip....

Guest rebeldrummer

There are a lot of very good .22 suppressors out there. YHM and GemTech are among the best. I just had my old (bought new in 2000) Outback updated by GemTech. They replaced the entire baffle stack and upgraded it to the latest specs for a very reasonable price.

I would suggest a company that is going to be around for a while as suppressor technology is still moving pretty fast. What is state of the art today will be almost antiquated in another ten years. Upgrading a suppressor is very easy with no paperwork from ATF. Just send it off and they ship it right back to you directly.

i have read a lot about the Outback as well, and the new version they have. Can you tell me what the main differences are?? That is one that is on my list as well....Thanks

I am confused to this reply? maybe you did not read my response correctly...

I merely asked for his, or ANY SME's input or advice.

Seeing as how Dolomite is probably one of THE BEST and MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE people when it comes to cans, his advice or input

would be highly regarded.

Not to say that others wouldn't ... but you can ask anyone on this site about his knowledge and skills and they would agree with me.

Your new here with only 88 posts so I would understand that you wouldn't know that yet but still...i think you mis-read what I said

Sorry reread it, yes I'm a youngen with 88 posts, I'm new, I only found the TGO by accident while searching for local ranges, lets test your skills (Mr.777), tell me what you see?

Edited by Johnny Rotten

i have read a lot about the Outback as well, and the new version they have. Can you tell me what the main differences are?? That is one that is on my list as well....Thanks

The new version is the IID (D stands for disassemble) and I believe the only difference is that it is now user serviceable, but someone correct me if Im wrong. I am currently waiting on my paperwork for a IID so I can give more insight in about 3mo when I get it, haha.

Guest rebeldrummer

Sorry reread it, yes I'm a youngen with 88 posts, I'm new, I only found the TGO by accident while searching for local ranges, lets test your skills (Mr.777), tell me what you see?

Johnny, I did not mean to ruffle your feathers, if thats what I did? I merely brought up that fact that you were new here in regards to not knowing about Dolomite and his status on this forum. I by no means meant for my statement to infer that you yourself were not knowledgeable. I apologize if it came across that way. What I see there is a SWEET collection. Very nice set ups you have!!! I am not looking to get into a "pissing match" here. TGO is not like most sites where EGO's take over and things go to :poop: . You will find that out the longer you stay around. I appreciate your input about everything...and would appreciate any more info that you can share.

Guest colombianito1021

I am an active member in many NFA forums.

I have a YHM SS Mite, SS Sparrow, AAC TiRant 9 and AAC SDN-6.

My favorite by far is the sparrow. You cannot go wrong with that. You can take it apart to clean as well. Silencerco is known for having one of the best customer service.

Go with the Sparrow.

And as far as best 22 cans, I would rank Silencerco and AAC. YHM definitely not on it.

Guest rebeldrummer

I am an active member in many NFA forums.

I have a YHM SS Mite, SS Sparrow, AAC TiRant 9 and AAC SDN-6.

My favorite by far is the sparrow. You cannot go wrong with that. You can take it apart to clean as well. Silencerco is known for having one of the best customer service.

Go with the Sparrow.

And as far as best 22 cans, I would rank Silencerco and AAC. YHM definitely not on it.

might be a NOOB question....but, as long as the threads match, i can throw it on my rifle and a pistol as well? correct?

also, thanks for the info....the Sparrow and the Outback and in my top 3

might be a NOOB question....but, as long as the threads match, i can throw it on my rifle and a pistol as well? correct?

also, thanks for the info....the Sparrow and the Outback and in my top 3

Yes, pistol or rifle shouldn't matter. As long as the caliber is acceptable and threads match. I'm sure you'll be threading that 10/22 barrel in the future

Guest rebeldrummer

Yes, pistol or rifle shouldn't matter. As long as the caliber is acceptable and threads match. I'm sure you'll be threading that 10/22 barrel in the future

it will be .22 on both...and yes, I have already called for some quotes!!! ha ha ha