GOOD FOR HIM !!

Radford business owner declines request from Joe Biden's entourage to stop in store

The owner of Crumb and Get It says he doesn't agree with the Obama administration's polici

WDBJ7 New River Valley ReporterWDBJ7

5:59 p.m. EDT, August 15, 20Would you say no to the Vice President?One New River Valley business owner turned Vice PresidentJoe Biden down.

This might happen more than youthink from both political parties, most businesses just don't talk about it. The owner of "Crumb and Get It" - did.

Chris McMurray's bakery has been open only since May, barely three months.

Wednesday morning, advance teams for Vice President Joe Biden walked in.

"I approached her she said Joe Biden is coming to town today," McMurray said.

"Crumb and Get It" is a mom and pop store. Literally. Chris and his wife Kelly run the place and need all the business they can get.

McMurray said the Vice President's entourage got to the point and made its pitch."She said they have selected 'Crumb and Get It" to be his stop on his way to Blacksburg and was wondering if that was ok."

Here's the part that might make other business owners crazy.

"This is an opportunity of a lifetime but essentially I said 'No offense to you or the campaign but I just decline you guys coming in here. At that time she said 'Are you sure? There's going to be a lot of press, a lot of activity,’" McMurray said.

Why in the world would a new business owner say "no" to a photo op with the Vice President of the United States?

McMurray said it was President Obama's recent remarks about small business and who built what.

"Very simply, ‘you didn't build that’†McMurray said. “Speaking of small businesses and entrepreneurs all across this country and actually last night my wife was up all night. No sleep, she's worked a full 24 hours."

When "Crumb and Get It" said 'no', “River City Grill,†just around the corner, said 'yes' and has the pictures to prove it, and didn't care about the politics.

"If you want to throw in some libertarians as well that's fine too. Stop in as well,†Chris Bell said. “Just bring your money. Sure, right!

Back at the bakery, a couple of guys said they'd hoped to see Biden and didn't care that the VP had been turned away.

"I mean it really doesn't matter to me. Everyone has their own views so I love the food here anyway. I agree. Everybody's different so I could care less," said Spenser Critterton of Radford.

Here's the back story, we’re told that shortly after Crumb and Get It told Biden’s advance people 'no' -- the secret service walked in and told Chris McMurray ''Thanks for standing up and saying 'no' -- then they bought a whole bunch of cookies and cupcakes.

McMurray said he's hoping folks will understand he just didn't want to be part of a photo op for an administration whose policies he doesn’t agree with.[/color]

Edited by JG55
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One might argue that they chickened out. The owner doesn't like the administrations policies. What better way to discuss and present your opinions than face-to-face? Make your argument, be very straightforward, present data to support your position, and otherwise drill the mindless goob into the ground. All while the press is recording the whole thing.

However, if there wouldn't be the opportunity to have such a discussion.... I'd have told them to hit the bricks as well.

One might argue that they chickened out.

One might argue that they're too busy building their business to waste time talking to a clueless putz with the sense of a rutabaga.

3 cheers for the baker..