Full auto next door

I came home this afternoon to the sounds of full auto in my neighbor's back yard. Don't know what he's shooting, but it's loud enough that I can't get away from it inside the house.

And I have to admit that it's a little unnerving since I'm not used to it, and especially since he's an asshat.

He's well within his rights to shoot on his property, I just hope I don't have to listen to it all weekend. I'm really tempted to call the sheriff and have his Class III license checked, but I'm going to be a nice guy about it - at least for now.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

That's a tough situation. Is he a neighbor you speak with or one of those that wave as you drive by? If it becomes a problem I would talk to him first and if that doesnt work maybe go the other route. Heck, it may be a good chance to go help him burn up some ammo.

That's a tough situation. Is he a neighbor you speak with or one of those that wave as you drive by? If it becomes a problem I would talk to him first and if that doesnt work maybe go the other route. Heck, it may be a good chance to go help him burn up some ammo.

He's neither. When I say he's an asshat, I mean for real. We are not on speaking terms. Just suffice it to say that I had to endure his two idiot sons in their teenage years when they were having underage drinking parties till 3am with 50-60 kids. Dear ol' Daddy wouldn't do anything about it. He's also tried to cheat me out of some of my property, but he learned he wasn't dealing with a moron.

And besides all that - I simply don't trust them.

Edited by DaddyO

If this is the first day of him doing it you would mind you own business and let it go. We all get new toys and want to play with them. I am sure you are the same way, be it with a new firearm or a new mower. And odds are his firearms are just as illegal as your mower.

Calling LE because he has been shooting a few hours is going to create a lot more animosity between you two. And when that happens don't get upset when he decides to do the same to you.

Realistically there is nothing you can do legally to prevent him from shooting on his property if he is legal and safe. He has the right to shoot from the minute the sun rises until sunset. And if you create more animosity by calling LE he might excercise that right and the only thing you could do is to put ear plugs in.

I have been on the receiving end of LE being called to me shooting. LE came out, we talked and they shot some of my guns. Then they left and told the complainants I was perfectly legal. And I still talk to those who called on me. I had a new set of neighbors decide to try to annoy me by shooting while I was shooting (never understood that). I have had those same neighbors come on my property and start crap when I was shooting. In the end if they show up again they WILL be arrested for trespassing and I will get an order of protection against them. They were trying to start a fight the last time they came on my property and made a bunch of threats against my family and I as they left my property.

Dolomite

That sucks. My first house in Clarksville I had a neighbor, old lady in her 70's or so that was a loon. She made things so difficult we decided to move as soon as our lease was up.

One time our cat was marking in the house and we got fed up and threw him out for a few days. The cat hid in her back yard bushes during thedays. Around 2 or 3 one evening I hear screaming outside and I go to check it out, she was flipping becuase she saw him in her bushes. She tells me "I'm calling the cops your cats in my yard". As she's telling me this the cat walks back into our yard, so I say "How do I know that's not your cat Ms S, and he's in my yard so I'm calling the cops". She wasn't expecting that one. :).

Before anyone says she's old and be nice, this was the type of old lady that would blame her neighbors, any of them for anything that went wrong. She would get mad becuase the leaves from a magnolia tree that was in my yard would be blown into hers by the wind. If I didn't put my grass clippings in a sink hole that split the property line, I get cussed. After all the non sense she threw at us she had the nerve to ask me if she could borrow my truck while I was deployed. Really?

She also was running for mayor of Clarksville and apparently one of the neighbors sent a 100 KKK members to her place to cut down her rose bushes. What a lovely woman.

If this is the first day of him doing it you would mind you own business and let it go. We all get new toys and want to play with them. I am sure you are the same way, be it with a new firearm or a new mower. And odds are his firearms are just as illegal as your mower.

Calling LE because he has been shooting a few hours is going to create a lot more animosity between you two. And when that happens don't get upset when he decides to do the same to you.

Realistically there is nothing you can do legally to prevent him from shooting on his property if he is legal and safe. He has the right to shoot from the minute the sun rises until sunset. And if you create more animosity by calling LE he might excercise that right and the only thing you could do is to put ear plugs in.

I have been on the receiving end of LE being called to me shooting. LE came out, we talked and they shot some of my guns. Then they left and told the complainants I was perfectly legal. And I still talk to those who called on me. I had a new set of neighbors decide to try to annoy me by shooting while I was shooting (never understood that). I have had those same neighbors come on my property and start crap when I was shooting. In the end if they show up again they WILL be arrested for trespassing and I will get an order of protection against them. They were trying to start a fight the last time they came on my property and made a bunch of threats against my family and I as they left my property.

Dolomite

You're right - if he's safe and legal, then there's nothing I can do. It just chaps my ass because ever since they moved in about 12 years ago, they've been good for only one thing - making NOISE. It doesn't sit well with a man when his peace and quiet is taken away from him and there's nothing he can do about it.

I tried being nice about it when all that crap started several years ago, and he just acted like an ass about it, so I was done with him and his whole asshat family.

Edited by DaddyO

They're just exercising their rights, right?

Absolutely. But the difference is that I have always tried to be considerate of my neighbors. I could do the same in my back yard but I don't because I'm respectful of the desire of others to have peace and quiet in their homes. That's why I don't run power equipment or bang on stuff after 7pm and I don't start till 10am. It's just the way I was raised.

Their moron offspring had one of those boom cars when they were in high school and I had to listen to my windows rattle on Saturday afternoons while they detailed their ride or worked out in the yard. It was maddening because they weren't doing anything illegal.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

Absolutely. But the difference is that I have always tried to be considerate of my neighbors. I could do the same in my back yard but I don't because I'm respectful of the desire of others to have peace and quiet in their homes. That's why I don't run power equipment or bang on stuff after 7pm and I don't start till 10am. It's just the way I was raised.

Their moron offspring had one of those boom cars when they were in high school and I had to listen to my windows rattle on Saturday afternoons while they detailed their ride or worked out in the yard. It was maddening because they weren't doing anything illegal.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

I bet "Saturday afternoon" was between 10am and 7pm.

So tell me what is different between your noise in the afternoon and their noise in the afternoon?

Dolomite

I bet "Saturday afternoon" was between 10am and 7pm.

So tell me what is different between your noise in the afternoon and their noise in the afternoon?

Dolomite

What do you consider excessive noise?

Is running your lawnmower considered reasonable?

Is turning up the volume on your car stereo so loud that it vibrates your neighbor's windows reasonable?

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

I would be glad to listen to my son playing his music or whatnot.. least he is at home and not getting into stuff.. Now that he is out of the house.. I miss his noise..lol

I think we forget that we all have been young once and loud music( least for me) was part of it..

To bad the neighbor is an ass.. We have one of those.. he is a super giant jackarse.....makes things not so pleasant.. well not for us.. but for him:) because we shoot.. EVERY DAY.. most supressed... some not so suppressed:)

That sucks. My first house in Clarksville I had a neighbor, old lady in her 70's or so that was a loon. She made things so difficult we decided to move as soon as our lease was up.

One time our cat was marking in the house and we got fed up and threw him out for a few days. The cat hid in her back yard bushes during thedays. Around 2 or 3 one evening I hear screaming outside and I go to check it out, she was flipping becuase she saw him in her bushes. She tells me "I'm calling the cops your cats in my yard". As she's telling me this the cat walks back into our yard, so I say "How do I know that's not your cat Ms S, and he's in my yard so I'm calling the cops". She wasn't expecting that one. :).

Before anyone says she's old and be nice, this was the type of old lady that would blame her neighbors, any of them for anything that went wrong. She would get mad becuase the leaves from a magnolia tree that was in my yard would be blown into hers by the wind. If I didn't put my grass clippings in a sink hole that split the property line, I get cussed. After all the non sense she threw at us she had the nerve to ask me if she could borrow my truck while I was deployed. Really?

She also was running for mayor of Clarksville and apparently one of the neighbors sent a 100 KKK members to her place to cut down her rose bushes. What a lovely woman.

We where stationed at FT.McClellan a few years back.... While we where wating on housing to become available on post we rented an appartment....Next door was an old black lady.. she was half crazy and used to come otuside her door.. sometimes dressed.. sometimes not so dressed and sing the star spangled banner and other songs.. it was so funny. She would stand there and cuss at stuff or just stand there and talk and carry on..Sometimes you would talk to her and she would be normal and most other times she wasnt making much sense.. She was a odd bird for sure but she woke us up pleny of times in teh early mornings but We really never got mad at her since she was old and prolly was rather off her rocker but non violent...

Who knows, your neighbors might be just as annoyed by your mower as you are of their loud music.

I was just pointing out, noise is noise regardless of what it is. Just because something isn't annoying to you, like mowing, doesn't mean it doesn't annoy your neighbors. Or that noise that you find annoying, loud music, may not annoy them at all.

Dolomite

There is a difference between a mower and a stereo running large subs. When someone drives by my house or is parked outside with subs running, it rattles windows. Bass resonates longer and seems to bleed throughout the house. Some of them you hear a block or two away. When it’s impossible to get away from the sound inside your own home it becomes a problem. Mowers may be loud but it’s not the same. Would you compare the sound of a remote controlled car to a guy in his driveway revving a Harley with new pipes?

Edited by FIST

My turn. I had one of those sound systems. 1000 watts of rattle your car apart (which i did). :rock: I blasted that thing alot until I quit listening to rap music and grew up a bit.

BUT

I did have respect for my neighbors. I never used it late at night. I turned it down at red lights cause rattling cars are annoying. I couldn't use it without running the car or I would drain the batteries, so I never just played it in the yard. I had listened to loud bass since i turned 16 and I even don't like it now.

Alot of that respect I have for other people I think is learned. I have a good family. I try to care what people think until they become an ass like you said. I guess just try to be civil and do what you can. :ignore:

My turn. I had one of those sound systems. 1000 watts of rattle your car apart (which i did). :rock: I blasted that thing alot until I quit listening to rap music and grew up a bit.

BUT

I did have respect for my neighbors. I never used it late at night. I turned it down at red lights cause rattling cars are annoying. I couldn't use it without running the car or I would drain the batteries, so I never just played it in the yard. I had listened to loud bass since i turned 16 and I even don't like it now.

Alot of that respect I have for other people I think is learned. I have a good family. I try to care what people think until they become an ass like you said. I guess just try to be civil and do what you can. :ignore:

Same here. I had a pretty killer system and the change in music taste as well as kids pushed me out of it.

I buy some hogs, and see if the smell can quelch the noise. Its hard to detail cars and shoot autos, with a couple of wallering stinking hogs close by.

This actually happened in my family. Have a family member who had a large piece of property in East Tennessee. A subdivison was built next to his property. A well to do New Jersey family moved in ($300K+ type house). Not soon after, they started complaining about everything on his property. Fence row had honey suckels and brush growing up, they wanted it cleared. He only bush hogged once a year, they wanted it kepted like a manicured lawn, I use to ride motorcycle on his property (Yamaha YZ 125), they complained about that, and so on and so on. The complaints were constant and many. Finally, my family member wasn't much of a hog farmer, but was when he was younger, and did acquire some hogs. On this 100 acre property he placed the pen right next to those people's house on his property, the actual pen shared the same fence row that seperated his property from their property. The complainers filed a suit and asked the city to get involved. They actually lived in the city limits, whereas his property was in the county. Nothing could be done, no county ordiance against a 100 acre property for farming purposes, the city had no say so either. No law, no statue, about farming. Eventually the complaints stopped about everything, and eventually (2-3 years) later he removed the hoggs. Thats been some 20+ years ago, I do not believe they have complained about anything since, yes they still live there. The fence row is like it always has been, full of growed up honeysuckels and brush, and the field gets bush hogged 1x a year. What a journey.

Edited by Runco
  • Like 2

I'm sorry that you have bad neighbors. It sucks. BTDT. I had a neighbor who worked at night and drove his Harley with loud pipes to and from work. Of course, he had to let it idle and rev it for five minutes when starting or stopping. Every day at 11pm and 6am. He also drove his ATV across everyone's back yards and tore up the grass. There just isn't much you can do about inconsiderate a$$holes.

As long as your neighbor is shooting safely (away from your property), you're stuck with it. Unless he's got more money than most folks, he'll run out of ammo pretty soon! He doesn't sound like someone who would reload. That's the only way I can afford to shoot my MGs as much as I do.

A motorcycle I can deal with. Human beings are noisy. It becomes a problem when there is no regard for the people around you, and no desire to get along with them. These assclowns never had any intention of getting along with anyone. But they know where the boundaries are in terms of legality, and they know that there's nothing I can do short of suing, which I'm not going to do unless it gets so bad that I am unable to get any enjoyment of my property.

I think I'd rather listen to gunfire instead of a leaf blower.

I too have had loud neighbors, and asshat neighbors. I had one in Florida wo got mad that I put a privacy fence around our backyard and started throwing her used cat litter and trash into my yard. I solved that by gathering it up and throwing it into her driveway after code enforcement wouldn't do anything (I guess throwing an old mattress and an old bicycle into your neighbor's yard while keeping an old refrigerator and water heater in your yard is perfectly legal in Lynn Haven, Florida). I finally sold the house and moved. I would suggest that the gunfire is more annoying because you already dislike the folks.

I would suggest that the gunfire is more annoying because you already dislike the folks.

You're probably right. However, I'm not sure it's so much the noise that bothers me as it is the fact that I simply don't trust them with that kind of weaponry. At any rate, time will probably take care of it. At some point he'll get tired of burning through all that ammo.

Unless they are wealthy, ride it out. Full auto or bump fire or whatever, a few weeks of burning out 1k rounds of ammo at several hundred bucks a day will eventually grow tiresome to all but the most well off folks. I just got a bump-fire stock for an AR, and as soon as I have tested it and figured out how to use it, its going to be put away for special occasions only.... reloading that quantity of 223 or buying it is not for me. I had been on the fence for getting one for a while and found a used one marked "demo" that a store was letting go :)