Russian sub in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

This is disturbing news...

"A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine armed with long-range cruise missiles operated undetected in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks and its travel in strategic U.S. waters was only confirmed after it left the region, the Washington Free Beacon has learned." August 14, 2012

http://freebeacon.com/silent-running/

"In June, Russian strategic nuclear bombers and support aircraft conducted a large-scale nuclear bomber exercise in the arctic. The exercise included simulated strikes on “enemy†strategic sites that defense officials say likely included notional attacks on U.S. missile defenses in Alaska. Under the terms of the 2010 New START arms accord, such exercises require 14-day advanced notice of strategic bomber drills, and notification after the drills end. No such notification was given. A second, alarming air incursion took place July 4 on the West Coast when a Bear H strategic bomber flew into U.S. airspace near California and was met by U.S. interceptor jets. That incursion was said to have been a bomber incursion that has not been seen since before the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991."

http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2012/08/red-october-redux-john-cornyn-demands-answers-from-pentagon-on-russian-sub-in-gulf/

no longer will we be able to rely upon mutually assured destruction to continue to dissuade Russia or China from pursuing attack, war or invasion. Obama has requested the Pentagon review options for reducing the number of US nuclear warheads by 80%. The goal? 300. Requirement of START 2 treaty, 1550. Russia would then have 5 times the number of nuclear weapons we do.

Guest bkelm18

You are worried about not being able to sustain a mutually assured destruction when we only have 300 nukes? :lol: This place is turning into a tin foil hat factory.

Edited by bkelm18

The "nothing to worry about" crowd is going to jump on you.

Glenn

We have more than enough nukes to ruin their day. God forbid the "nothing to worry about" crowd brings any facts to the discussion. Obama couldn't significantly reduce our nuclear arsenal if he were in office for the next decade.

Russians are always going to play their drills to let us know that they're still capable of being a threat. That is the game they play. We play the same game with the Russians, Chinese, Iran and Pakistan on a regular basis. Pretty soon the Chinese will be joining the Russians in the club of global projection.

http://www.fas.org/programs/ssp/nukes/nuclearweapons/nukestatus.html

pretty scary that they can get that close while undetected

Yeah, but it isn't the first time and won't be the last. Think about how many nuke subs we have in Russia and China's AO. It's a game that we all play like peacocks in the yard.

• Like 1

The "nothing to worry about" crowd is going to jump on you.

Glenn

I'm one of those crowd members and find this pretty disturbing. We need to be raising the defense budget by 500 billion dollars, not reducing it because of stuff like this.

Guest 6.8 AR

Awesome! My mail order bride has arrived! :woohoo:

Though, I would have much preferred airfreight delivery

If it was some kind of russian airfreight, she might have come in pieces.

We think OMG! like it doesn't happen. I wonder just how many US subs have slipped around waters they don't have a right to be in? Probably more US subs in No-No territory than foreign ones in ours.

My biggest concern is with the spineless cowards we have running the country now. First thing they'll say is "Let's all calm down, I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why a fourth of our country is now a blanket of ash." They'll wanna talk about it like the touchy feely hippies they are.

This has been going on forever. My dad was on an aircraft carrier in the early 60s and they would crank everything on the boat and run balls to the wall toward the Russian coast. A hundred miles out, they would go lights out and watch the Russians freak. Keep in mind, this was before satellite GPS and radar systems like we have now, but it is silly to think the Russians don't/can't snoop around out coasts. They can tell us to F off if they are more than 12 miles from our coast; we can do the same.

This has been going on forever. My dad was on an aircraft carrier in the early 60s and they would crank everything on the boat and run balls to the wall toward the Russian coast. A hundred miles out, they would go lights out and watch the Russians freak. Keep in mind, this was before satellite GPS and radar systems like we have now, but it is silly to think the Russians don't/can't snoop around out coasts. They can tell us to F off if they are more than 12 miles from our coast; we can do the same.

I agree. That's what strong navies do, but it wouldn't be a normal Sunday afternoon around here if someone wasn't freaking out about something.

• Like 2
Guest Springfield1911guy

Considering that just one Trident "boomer" can take

out half of the European Continent, and, we have I think 13 of them....there's not too much to worry about.

Guest motonut

A few questions...

And who's word are you taking that this sub went undetected? More than likely we were tracking it to get it's accoustic profile.

You do realize the G of M is International waters? By International Maritime Law 12 NM is the limit of Territorial Waters.

We do it to them (big time) and they do it to us (although I don't think they have near the capability we do).

My ship was about to pull into Hong Kong when the Russians shot down KAL007 and we were tasked to go to the Sea of Japan to look for survivors (we knew there wouldn't be any, water too cold). We spent 7 - 10 days playing chicken with the Russian Navy right up to that 12NM limit.

Even if this were 100% true it's a complete non-event.

Edited by motonut

A few questions...

And who's word are you taking that this sub went undetected? More than likely we were tracking it to get it's accoustic profile.

You do realize the G of M is International waters? By International Maritime Law 12 NM is the limit of Territorial Waters.

We do it to them (big time) and they do it to us (although I don't think they have near the capability we do).

My ship was about to pull into Hong Kong when the Russians shot down KAL007 and we were tasked to go to the Sea of Japan to look for survivors (we knew there wouldn't be any, water too cold). We spent 7 - 10 days playing chicken with the Russian Navy right up to that 12NM limit.

Even if this were 100% true it's a complete non-event.

Refreshing to see some of these post. Its like there is a competition going on to see who can come up with the best boogeyman story.