M&P 15-22?

Guest ASmartOne

Guest ASmartOne

My last thread was such a smashing success that I decided it was time for a new thread!

Any opinions on the S&W M&P 15-22? Is it a good gun that runs well and doesn't jam?

The reason I ask is, one of my brother's coworker is selling one. Price is less than 350. I do not know what year it was produced. I will get more info tomorrow.

I do seem to remember that the 15-22 lower is slightly smaller than a real AR lower. Also, S&W seems to be adding flash hiders now. Is there a difference between flash hider and non flash hider models?

Thanks in advance,

ASmartOne

I have one of the Talo Pink ones. Yeah yeah yeah. (I picked it up for $475 w/ 5 25 rnd & 2 10 rnd mags)

Anyways.

It has never let me down. About 4000 rounds through it not a problem.Mostly Federal and some CCI Blazer is what I've used. I have 5 25 round mags that I load and burn thru, then repeat. Just as on target with first shoot as with 125th shot. In a short range trip I can run 500 under 30 minutes and still go strong. So for the price I would jump on it. But I prefer the flash hider that I have compared to the non-flash model. A friend has the straight barrel (non-flash) and over 15,000 with only a few ammo related issues, not rifle related.

Edited by williamsburg10

I have one and really enjoy burning up the cheap 22 rimfire. I have shot the federal bulk packs and the target rounds. I have had a couple of jams but nothing major with 1000 rounds through it. I would have liked to have found one for that price. I gave $425.00 plus tax for mine a month or so ago.

• Like 1

It's a piece of crap, don't buy it. Just give me the guy's name/number.

Just kidding of course. At that price it's a freaking steal!! Great guns, you're gonna LOVE it. If you change your mind, I'd buy myself a 2nd one off him for that price.

Mine doesn't like copper jacketed ammo (especially Winchester and Remington Golden Bullets), but that's fine with me. Federal bulk ammo is the cheapest anyway and I've never had an issue with it. Mine also has problems with subsonic rounds too. This is no big secret, it's right in the owners manual.

Edited by BigK
Guest ASmartOne

It's a piece of crap, don't buy it. Just give me the guy's name/number.

You really had me going there for a second! I still need to find out how many round he has put through it, and if it has been giving him trouble.

I don't plan on suppressing it, but that doesn't mean much. If I wanted to I could have the barrel threaded right?

Guest ASmartOne

Spoke to the owner of the gun tonight. He has had the gun for about a year and a half. I has 800 to 900 rounds through it. I consider that almost nothing as far as round counts go. He also said the gun has given him no problems. It does have the flash hider but the owner said it wasn't threaded. I was thinking that the barrel on the new model was threaded but it wouldn't be a problem to have it threaded. Now if I could just get some time off...

Spoke to the owner of the gun tonight. He has had the gun for about a year and a half. I has 800 to 900 rounds through it. I consider that almost nothing as far as round counts go. He also said the gun has given him no problems. It does have the flash hider but the owner said it wasn't threaded. I was thinking that the barrel on the new model was threaded but it wouldn't be a problem to have it threaded. Now if I could just get some time off...

I would research online to see if they made a flash hider that was not threaded. I thinking the hider would have to be threaded.

Guest ASmartOne

Some of the models have threads and some don't. After a lot of Googling this link is about the only mention of a factory threaded barrel I can find. http://www.weaponevo...5-22-(pic-heavy)-Serious-Practice-Tool-%96-or-just-a-fun-plinker

I wonder if he has tried to remove the flash hider or barrel. I hope not cause I have seen the threads on the S&W forum about the destroyed uppers. I ought to ask him next time I talk to him.

Edit:Hthunder, you are right in that I don't see any non-threaded factory barrel with flash hiders.

Edited by ASmartOne

I wouldn't let the absence of a flash hider bother me one bit. A friend of mine has one without the flash hider and it shoots just as good as mine.

If you have your heart set on a suppressor, you'll likely be glad it doesn't have one.

I bought mine a while back and it came with the flash hider. I had some help removing the flash hider when I got it. We wrapped the barrel in leather and put it in a vise. Applied heat to the flash hider with a propane torch and removed it. This rifle is loads of fun with a suppressor.

Guest ASmartOne

Great gun!!!

I took mine and put a Slidefire Stock on it.

The factory trigger was to heavy so swapped it out for a Timney 3lb.

Unfortunately, firing rounds as fast as it was it rattled out the trigger pins. Now adding KNS pins to fix that issue.

Overall a fun gun to shoot.

Besides the trigger and pins, did you have to do any other modifications?

Also when I go to look at the gun, what should I look at to make sure it is in good condition?

I bought one a few years ago when they came out so I guess I had a "1st Gen". That is one gun that I wish I hasn't sold to this day. I literally put thousands of the cheap 550 pack federals through it with less than 10 hickups I'd say. I put a cheap Tasco 3-9x40 scope on it and it was a real tack driver at 25-50 yards. I shot if further but never had the need to. I would love to own another one day. I would definitely put the 15-22 on my SHTF list as far as a rimfire.

Great gun!!!

I took mine and put a Slidefire Stock on it.

The factory trigger was to heavy so swapped it out for a Timney 3lb.

Unfortunately, firing rounds as fast as it was it rattled out the trigger pins. Now adding KNS pins to fix that issue.

Overall a fun gun to shoot.

Is that Timney trigger a drop in part or was major modifactions necessary? Enquiring minds would like to know. :)

I have the S&W 15-22 MOE model and can't say enough good thing's about it because it's such a good rifle that only happened to be inexpensive. Clean and lubricate it before shooting it and break the magazine's in and you'll be very pleased with having one yourself.

Is that Timney trigger a drop in part or was major modifactions necessary? Enquiring minds would like to know. :)

I used a Timney drop in trigger group. Very simple to put in.

If using the SlideFire Stock on the 15-22 sometimes the trigger mod isn't necessary. I have seen posts on other forums that said they had no problem with the stock trigger, but others have said that it wouldn't work without a lighter trigger.

Mine didn't work stock.... so the Timney was needed.

Nothing like unloading a 25 round magazine in less than 3 seconds. :rock: