Should worshipers be allowed to arm themselves?

Guest BungieCord

Stupid question. They're asking if 1st and 2nd Amendment rights are mutually exclusive. Or to look at it back to front, do the armed forfeit the right to worship?

So I am confused, is it illegal to carry in a church?

It is against the law in Georgia to carry in any "place of worship" I know other states have similar laws. you know its more of the 'if its illegal, we wont have any more mass shootings, cause you know, its illegal'

I carry at church every time I'm there. Trouble and disparity have now time clock, and certainly no boundaries. I trust the Lord protects, but sometimes I believe its as much through God giving us the ability to protect ourselves as it is divine intervention.

What about a Catholic church that has a school attached? Just a question of legality. I am thinking of St. Mary's in Jackson. I don't go there but my wife was raised Catholic and considering starting to go there some. I guess the real question is do private schools fall under the no guns at schools. I apologize if has already been discussed.

JTM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by jtmaze

This seems a no brainer to me. When I leave the house I put it on and when I change into my night clothes I take it off. If you are carrying concealed no one should be the wiser in Church or elsewhere. I probably wouldnt carry OWB in Church but thats just me.

Well there's a simple solution to the whole thing but it'll set faithful church goers pants on fire when I say it.

Stop going. I can feel the presence of the Lord flow strongly, alone out in the woods, maybe out by the lake/river. Anywhere where the filth of man has not saturated everything as far as the eye can see. I know it's a kick in the teeth to the pew warmers but a righteous man can use a stump for an alter and get better results than the vast majority of collective prayers from an establishment built by man.

Hate me for saying it, that's okay, but I'm not sorry; It's just the truth.

• Like 2

Well there's a simple solution to the whole thing but it'll set faithful church goers pants on fire when I say it.

Stop going. I can feel the presence of the Lord flow strongly, alone out in the woods, maybe out by the lake/river. Anywhere where the filth of man has not saturated everything as far as the eye can see. I know it's a kick in the teeth to the pew warmers but a righteous man can use a stump for an alter and get better results than the vast majority of collective prayers from an establishment built by man.

Hate me for saying it, that's okay, but I'm not sorry; It's just the truth.

I don't hate you for saying it, but "Forsake not the assembling of yourselves" is pretty clear. Also, man has polluted darn near everything IMHO.

Private schools are the same as public schools. The hard part is where does the school start and the church end. If the school is in a separate building (I'm thinking of Nashville Christian vs. the Church of Christ next door) then you would be good to go. If the classrooms double as sunday school rooms and the sanctuary is also the gymnasium (sanctinasium), I'd be cautious about not calling that a school.

I wonder if it depends on the ownership. I'm thinking of how public parks when schools are using them become de facto school property during the event. Does the church become a school M-F from 8-3, if the church owns the property/buildings? If so, you're good on Sunday mornings and at evening church events, provided no school event is occurring at the same time.

I don't hate you for saying it, but "Forsake not the assembling of yourselves" is pretty clear. Also, man has polluted darn near everything IMHO.

Yeah where two or three are gathered, there will I be also. I don't recall mention of multi million dollar synagogues full of hypocrites. WHo are people fooling anyway? Do people really think God gives two wags of a rats butt how pretty your church is? NO. It's all a vanity act. A broken commandment for that matter. Taking the Lord's name in vain, that is, which has little to nothing to do with saying the profanity "G__d_mn" Hmmm, I wonder how many empty bellies could be filled, how many homeless people could be clothed and given a place to stay, how many crack whores could be cleaned up, ect. ect. with the amount of money churches pay for stained glass and ridiculous architecture. A true temple of Christ could easily be a tent from Friedman's Army Navy Surplus.

THere is one name by which we may be saved. He is real and I get the sinking feeling he's getting pissed by what he sees. It's going to be entertaining to me to see what he does when he gets back.

Organized religion is a sham. It's one step from a hippy psychiatrist couch. It's a place to make people feel good about the miserable lives they live. Hypocrites. Not all, certainly not all of them. BUt the vast majority. Get wasted Saturday night and hook up with some gutter slut only to sing and clap from the pew the next morning.

I hear it everyday, OHHH he's a good man, he's a deacon or a pastor.....YEah, so was John David Terry.

Private schools are the same as public schools. The hard part is where does the school start and the church end. If the school is in a separate building (I'm thinking of Nashville Christian vs. the Church of Christ next door) then you would be good to go. If the classrooms double as sunday school rooms and the sanctuary is also the gymnasium (sanctinasium), I'd be cautious about not calling that a school.

I wonder if it depends on the ownership. I'm thinking of how public parks when schools are using them become de facto school property during the event. Does the church become a school M-F from 8-3, if the church owns the property/buildings? If so, you're good on Sunday mornings and at evening church events, provided no school event is occurring at the same time.

Good questions for the AG.

Yeah where two or three are gathered, there will I be also. I don't recall mention of multi million dollar synagogues full of hypocrites. WHo are people fooling anyway? Do people really think God gives two wags of a rats butt how pretty your church is? NO. It's all a vanity act. A broken commandment for that matter. Taking the Lord's name in vain, that is, which has little to nothing to do with saying the profanity "G__d_mn" Hmmm, I wonder how many empty bellies could be filled, how many homeless people could be clothed and given a place to stay, how many crack whores could be cleaned up, ect. ect. with the amount of money churches pay for stained glass and ridiculous architecture. A true temple of Christ could easily be a tent from Friedman's Army Navy Surplus.

THere is one name by which we may be saved. He is real and I get the sinking feeling he's getting pissed by what he sees. It's going to be entertaining to me to see what he does when he gets back.

Organized religion is a sham. It's one step from a hippy psychiatrist couch. It's a place to make people feel good about the miserable lives they live. Hypocrites. Not all, certainly not all of them. BUt the vast majority. Get wasted Saturday night and hook up with some gutter slut only to sing and clap from the pew the next morning.

I hear it everyday, OHHH he's a good man, he's a deacon or a pastor.....YEah, so was John David Terry.

You didn't say two or three; you said a righteous man - which there are none. A building isn't a church; it's the people. Although I agree that many organized religions are a shame I would disagree that all of them are. To much is given; much is required, so there are a LOT of people that have some explaining to do.

You would have to have attended every single one of them to know this.

Hypocrites are everywhere - where you work, where you shop, in the clubs that you hold membership in. You better just stay home and lock the doors if you don't want to associate with any of them.

Edited by DaddyO
I carry all the time in church, and at all church activities. But nobody ever sees the gun. Many know I carry, it's just not an issue. The pastor has a HCP. In a 350-400 person group on any given Sunday, aside from a Hamilton Co Deputy, A Chattanooga LEO and a DUSM, I can count about 20 guns, carried by men and women alike.

Cherokee Slim

Hehe do you happen to go to Abbas house ?

I don't know of anywhere in the Bible where it says not to be armed. I can think of several places where the Bible advises one to have a weapon. Famously, Jesus advises to sell your cloak and buy a sword. Also, several of the disciples had swords at the Garden of Gethsemane after the Last Supper. Since there is no mention that they armed themselves, it is safe to presume that they usually carried swords.

I'm not sure where the Christian tradition of leaving weapons outside church came from. Probably from medieval ages when the church was considered a sanctuary against temporal authority. Still, it's a tradition, not a law.

I do not advertise the fact that I carry. WalMart, church, wherever. I'm not rich enough to hire bodyguards, and would probably still carry even if I was!

My pastor was in the same hcp class as me(we both shot perfect scores) as well as two other friends of mine who are also church members. I haven't had the discussion with him yet because I'm waiting on an appropriate holster for concealed carry. But I don't think he will care and will possibly even prefer it.

My guess is that he already believes that you carry in church.

Edited by R_Bert

Hmmm, I wonder how many empty bellies could be filled, how many homeless people could be clothed and given a place to stay, how many crack whores could be cleaned up, ect. ect. with the amount of money churches pay for stained glass and ridiculous architecture. A true temple of Christ could easily be a tent from Friedman's Army Navy Surplus.

Matthew 26 (bunch of verses) ... woman pours expensive perfume onto Jesus, and he defends her waste of money saying you willl always have the poor and that this was a wonderful gesture on her part.

You can sell all the churches and tear it all down, take all that money ... and feed the hungry for a few weeks, save a few addicts, but after a time the money will be gone and they go hungry again, it has no lasting effect to throw money at the poor except to run out of money and put everyone in the poorhouse (sounds like a political stance..).

Also, apart from a certain ancient and established church, most of the churches I have been in were rather sparse. No stain glass, no display of wealth, and many were just a concrete block building with an alter and pews. Its not a tent, but its not a billion dollar cathedral either. One small church I visited just used a meeting room at a business that was willing to allow them use of the facility.

• Like 1

My church has a lot of huggers. I like to see the expression on people's faces when their hand/arm comes down on my Kobra Carry in the Crossbreed for the first time. It's funny to watch it dawn on them what they just felt, but they NEVER say anything against it. They never notice when I carry the Slim 9 in the posket holster.