Walther PPQ 9mm ??? Anyone Have One?

xRUSTYx

Hey Guys ...

I'm an XD guy, but have been looking to make a move to the PPQ. From what I have heard, plus how Larry Vickers himself swears by it & carries it himself now, has me thinking.

I'm mainly after the *amazing* trigger that everyone seems to talk about.

If you have one, can you post up your thoughts on the trigger (vs others perhaps - glock/xd/m&p/etc...) and your experience as far as reliability goes?

Thanks!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Magnum Research makes magazines that fit it I believe. They are <$40 on Midway. You'd have to google to see which mags specifically. I don't recall off the top of my head.

Edited by bkelm18

Magnum Research makes magazines that fit it I believe. They are <$40 on Midway. You'd have to google to see which mags specifically. I don't recall off the top of my head.

That's what I have read as well. If I pick up a PPQ, I'll have to give these mags a run!

He's asking about a PPQ, not a PPS...

Close, but no cigar :) Appreciate the heads up though!

My wife has a PPQ. It is as close to a true single action as you can get. The striker does not move backwards at all as the trigger is pulled. On my XDm you can feel the striker move a little before it goes.

I am more of a muzzle control shooter than a trigger control so the trigger doesn't affect me that much, but it is smooth and breaks cleanly. My M&P is all stock and the trigger is different than the PPQ but I don't think it as being any worseor better. My XDm the take up is long. I shot Lagerhead's XD with a trigger job and it breaks nicely. I shot Hognut's G34 in a run-n-gun match and did fine. I assume it has some kind of trigger work done on it. Finished 8th overall I think.

Anyway.....the PPQ trigger is light and has a very quick reset. You will need good trigger finger discipline.

Also the PPQ has the mag release built into the trigger guard like some HK's. I guess you could get used to it.

I picked up my PPQ 9mm at G&L a couple months ago. Nearing 2k rounds now with no FTE or FTF, with a variety of ammo - so, very reliable. Feels great in hand, and I actually prefer the mag release, which can be actuated without changing grip or canting the weapon. Accuracy is dead on; even for the beginner it is a pleasure to shoot. In my opinion, it does everything well. The PPQ feels like an extension of the hand that shoots it. Surprisingly for its size, it carries well too. The gun is fully cocked when you rack it, so I consider it SAO. Trigger break is crisp, with a very short, tactile reset. A decocker would have been nice, but not at the expense of trigger perfection.

The Magtech Baby Desert Eagle magazine ($30) is a perfect match for the 2nd gen Walther P99 mags that ship with the gun. I have had it in rotation from the beginning and performance is exactly the same as factory for half the price.

Don't have the 9, but do have the 40. Awesome gun & trigger. Bought mine from Speciality Arms, Lavergne. Paid

$539 + tax & BG check. Shop around, $599 is too much. As stated earlier, Magnum Research has 'em for around

$40. I bought 2 from them, no problems. Make "sure" you get the correct part #. It can be confusing.

Also, might want to check out the Walther forum. There is a separate thread for the PPQ. Lots of great info

there for starters. There are "stickys" for most FAQ.

Go ahead & get it, you'll love it. Haven't heard anyone say otherwise.

Edit to add: Part # for 9mm is MAGFA915 15rd.

Part # for 40S&W is MAGFA4010 10rd.

If ordering from Midway, click on Magnum Research, not Walther. Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle Fast Action. About $32 S/H

Go to:

1. Gunsmithing & Gun Parts

2.Magazines by gun make & model

3.Magnum Research

4.Find tour part#

Hope this helps someone

Edited by Grunt67
Guest motonut

I have a PPQ in 9mm, fine gun. And yes the Walther mags are expensive. The Magnum Research mags work just fine and I paid $65 for (2) from CMC Government Supply (I think that price included shipping).

The ProMag P99 mags also work (somewhat) but leave the last round in the mag for some strange reason.

All-in-all I really like the PPQ, it's a nice firearm.

I'm a huge Walther fan, so keep that in mind. As a lefty and long time P99 owner, I prefer the mag release. Love the trigger. It will have more "kick" than most 9's. Mostly muzzle flip, but it will feel like more of a handful than most 9's. Now, it's not terrible by any stretch, my small 13yr old can shoot it off-hand. Biggest problem I have is keeping it away from him when IDPA time rolls around. I'm kicking myself for not buying 2 when jetguns had them for <$500 shipped.

Edit: For me, it is VERY accurate. I shoot it more accurate than my Gen4 G19 that I use for IDPA. Also, if you do shoot IDPA, like the XD the PPQ is considered ESP.

Edited by jlpred

I haven't updated this thread in a while. Picked up a PPQ 9mm, and plan to pick up several more.

BEST FIREARM HANDS DOWN, PERIOD, EXCLAMATION POINT ;)

I'll write a much longer review in the next couple of weeks! Absolutely love it if you couldn't tell :)