Polymer AR lowers.

TrickyNicky

Anyone tried one, or better yet own one? I'm thinking these could be a good way to get starte in the AR platform without breaking the bank but just curious if I'm better off getting all metal parts.

I'm thinking of doing something similar to one of Dolamites projects, a basic no frills light weight tack driver. Maybe installing some kind of optic, maybe just sticking with open sights. No frills just an accurate simple rifle. Maybe an adjustable gas block and threading for a can but that would be it.

The second ones a bit different. This one would be a tacticool liberal pansy's worst nightmare.

I want to start off as pistol and eventually get my stamp to build an SBR out of it along with a stamp to get a FA rated can. Then put a slide fire stock on it.

No practical reason, I'm not a mall ninja of anything but I've spent most of my life in Ca where you can't do anything like that so I'm kind of just wanting to do it to do it. Plus all my Ca shooting buddies will be jealous as hell.

So with those two projects in mind what do you all think about polymer lowers? A good choice to save some money, or just doing things cheaper than they need to be done?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just buy a forged lower and don't worry about the polymer. They will last longer than you ever will...

That was what I was planning before I saw the polymer, but I can get a complet pistol and a complete rifle for the same price as one complete forged one.

I don't need them to last longer than I do, in fact as long as they last just as long as I do I'd be happy. I'm not planning on kids so they'd just end up with my brother Steve, and we got a saying back in Ca, "fu#$ Steve."

If its all about the $$$ you CAN'T GO WRONG with the New Frontier Armory polymer complete lowers. They can be had for around $110 and are ready for an upper. I have a guy who only owns Noveske, Daniel Defense, etc. but wanted to build his son an economy rifle. He decided to try the New Frontier for this build. About two weeks later he calls me about transferring two more he's just ordered from Joe Bob's!

I've got a New Frontier on order for my 1st full auto build as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Edited by adamween

years ago i picked up a cav arms lower. i got it cheap and it had the trigger group and all other parts. i fit it to a bushmaster upper and it is a tack driver. no problems and it is tight. if you can find one i would get it. i know cav arms is not in business now, but their lowers were made well. the one i got was.

Just buy a forged lower and don't worry about the polymer. They will last longer than you ever will...

The polymers being used for guns these days will last longer than you ever will too. I know it's a pistol, not an AR lower, but go read about the end of this endurance test for a Gen4 Glock 17:

http://pistol-training.com/archives/6885

Here's your money quote: It is also notable that the steel slide wore out before the polymer frame, which were once thought to be too fragile.

I have one of thePlum Crazy lowers it works good.

Replaced the oringinal trigger and hammer with a New Frontier set.

From what I have read and found online they are made in the same molds so the New Frontier lowers should be good as well

• Admin Team

If I were going to spend $200 on a tax stamp, I'd go ahead and spend the extra $20 on a forged lower.

There's nothing wrong with polymer, but it's kind of like your grandfather used to tell you - "if you're going to use it more than twice, then save your money and get the best you can buy." Once you go the SBR route, that rifle is probably with you for the rest of your life. Go ahead and make it a good one.

Otherwise, I think the polymer lowers work great.

I have a Frontier lower and I am really impressed by it. Although the trigger isn't light it is very, very crisp. I used mine for my lightweight AR build and it works great in that role. I have a few hundred rounds through it now and it is great.

I have zero concerns over the polymer lower, especially the Frontier. The hammer and trigger pins are held in place by friction and it takes A LOT to remove them. So I have zero concerns over them becoming egg shaped or loosining over time. The mags drop free and the bolt hold open works as it should.

Dolomite

Guest Aces&8s

Have had zero issues out of my Plum Crazy lower... I would have no problems buying another poly lower, especially if I do another pistol build.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

If I were going to spend $200 on a tax stamp, I'd go ahead and spend the extra $20 on a forged lower.

There's nothing wrong with polymer, but it's kind of like your grandfather used to tell you - "if you're going to use it more than twice, then save your money and get the best you can buy." Once you go the SBR route, that rifle is probably with you for the rest of your life. Go ahead and make it a good one.

Otherwise, I think the polymer lowers work great.

I was thinking along those lines only opposite. Due to the hassle of transferring ownership it's pretty unlikely I'd ever sell a SBR, so it's essentially going to be with me forever right? On those terms the thought of any perceived monetary value are moot.

My personal prederence in the whole metal vs plastic debate is function, does it work? Does it work well? Will it last?

The answer to all those questions is yes in regards to both plastic and metal.

In that light I think the polymer is the way to go for me, and since that will be a keeper that's all that ultimately matters.

I've just got to convince myself I'm not cheaping out, just being economical. Lol.

Anyway, the deed is done. Just placed my order for two rifle and one pistol receivers. Was originally going to get just one of each but figured since they are having a sale and with the possibility of a price increase as we get closer to this election it would be smart to stock up.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll be joining the AR club soon.

I've had 2 of the Frontier poly lowers and one PlumCrazy. All 3 function as they should. The only drawback I can see on a poly lower is the inability to add an enlarged trigger guard. That can still be done by using a heat gun or other heat source and slowly, slowly heating up the trigger guard and stretching it out a bit. I've done that to one of my poly lowers and it worked out great. The guy I sold the lower to actually bought a second Frontier lower and asked me to do the same to it. Other than that, they rock!!

A thought just occurred with the mention of trigger guards, can I replace the grips, stock et all to fit the slide fire on one of these?

Not really a deal breaker either way as I doubt I'd use it very often but it would be a nice finishing touch for my Non Ca compliant masterpiece lol.

Lightweight – weighs in at 1.6 lbs – That’s 7.2oz lighter than a standard lower

What are you really accomplishing buy using a polymer lower? Does losing 7.2oz in the center of the weapon really going to make a difference in how it feels? Granted, I don't have any experience with polymer AR lowers, but it seems to me weight shaving be better appreciated towards the muzzle end. Wouldn't a lighter rear end make an AR even more unbalanced?

An example I bought my son a RRA SS midlength upper. The 16" HBAR barrel made it almost impossible for him (11 years old) to shoot offhand because it was so front heavy. I sent it to ADCO to have the barrel under the handguards reprofiled to a gov't profile. 11oz off the barrel end made a huge difference.

Been looking at these for a pistol build myself.

Someone answer a couple of questions for this non-smith. :)

Wopuld engraving one affect strength any ("pistol" engraving)? Odd question maybe, but just something about carving plastic makes it seem weird. Certainly wouldn't want it to crack if dropped or something.

Is the pistol grip assembly the same as with metal lowers? Specifically would the old set/grip screw trick work?

The grip screw holes are NOT drilled all the way through. With that being said the triggers are the best feeling I have ever shot other than ring heavy. They have ZERO take up.

Not sure why you need to mark the lower as a pistol. As long as you buy a lower without the stock attached from the dealer it can be used for a rifle or a pistol. But I would not see how it would affect the strength as long as you were reasonable about the material removed.

Dolomite

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shootandrelease

these New Frontier polymer lowers are great, just built a full ar build starting with one. Have seen many others work as well as mine. As soon as I got I put on an upper I already owned and ran 10 mags as quick as I could fire drop mag and chamber next, never one hiccup. They are just new to the ar market but soon enough people will realize pistols have been made of polymer for years and it will become as common place in this market just as they are the norm in the semi auto pistol world.

I'm happy with mine, haven't gotten any uppers as of yet but I feel I made good choice. Two rifles and one pistol for just slightly higher than the cost of one good forged one, hard to beat that. Like Dolomite says, these triggers a pretty nice. They could be lighter but there is NO play, very crisp.

Frontier Armory put out a pretty convincing video on YouTube where they collapsed an aluminum mag well to the point where a msg could be inserted but not released. They subjected their polymer to the same treatment and while there was some minor cracking, it was still able to accept and drop mags easily. The cracking wasn't bad either, it didn't so much split as just just weaken.