Places To Shoot Around The Tri-Cities

In another topic there has been some discussion of various places in the Tri-Cities area to shoot.

I though it would be a good idea to start an ongoing topic for the discussion. Maybe we can add additional places, geographic coordinates, good driving directions, costs, etc.

Gun Clubs:

Kettlefoot: Near Bristol, Take Virginia exit 1 on I-81 toward Webber City. I was a member there 15 years ago. A bit out of the way, waiting lists to get in - unless you know someone. Most political of the local gun clubs, IMHO. Access requires getting out of your car and unlocking a chain. One lane road off of the highway. Hope you don't meet someone coming the other way.

Cherokee Rod & Gun: Bays Mountain area near Kingsport. Nice club, with a few problems, like the clubhouse is downrange. Good women's programs. Open pretty much when you want it to be. Access by key-card. My choice of the local clubs.

Unaka: Near the Johnson City landfill. Formerly a great club when it was open about all hours. These days the shooting schedule is so limited that I can't recommend it. It's fixable, but they won't fix it. Rifles to 200 yards only.

Wildlife Management Areas:

North Cherokee WMA - Fee required, daylight hours only. $2 daily fee

Jacobs Creek - Denton Valley Road, Sullivan Co: Half way up Holston Mountain off of US-421 out of Bristol. Almost always muddy but I like it anyway. Wear your galoshes.

Scioto - Scioto Road, Unicoi Co.: Take the Unicoi Exit on I-26 (don't know what the new exit number is) then go up the mountain. Nicely graveled and laid out range. I like it too.

I know there are some places around Greeneville, but I've never shot there.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are all in or near Greeneville.

TAC2:

Take I-81 to Exit 36 (Highway 172) toward Greeneville. Head in to town, 9.6 miles, turn right on Robert Harmon Rd, go 1.6 miles, turn right at TAC2 sign. TAC2 is a private club/training school for firearms. It's run by a chiropractor named Bryant who has a list of certifications a couple pages long viewable on their website. Membership is $25 application fee, plus $100 per year for a family membership that includes children living at home under 21. http://www.tac2.net

White Sands:

I wouldn't dream of trying to give directions to White Sands... mostly because I have trouble finding it and I grew up on that side of town. 1280 Piney Grove Rd if you want to Google some directions. White Sands is out in the middle of nowhere, and is basically set up in a guy's back yard. He has a barn style building set up as a gun store with a small selection of weapons, and a bunch of ammo. The valley behind it is the range. You can shoot anything you want, sunrise to sunset, except on Sundays, when it's open 1pm-5pm. He has a few metal targets set up out there for IDPA style matches if you're interested in shooting something besides paper. Family membership is about $75 or $100 per year.

Greene County Fishing & Hunting Club:

This is a private range that I don't have a whole lot of information on. I've honestly never met anyone who belongs to it. It's listed on a few websites online, but only with a PO Box address and a phone number. It says it offers outdoor rifle, muzzleloader, skeet, and airgun facilities.

ETSU Rifle Range:

This option isn't exactly available to everyone, but ETSU students and faculty can join the school marksmanship club and use the range in the basement of the Memorial Center (Mini-Dome). It's mostly .22LR only, using the school's handguns and rifles, but it's indoor, and cheap, which goes well with being a poor college student. I have been told you can shoot up to .45ACP on the range, but getting the weapon and ammo to the range is somewhat difficult. Might look into that though.

I thought of ETSU but didn't list it because of the restrictions. Guess it should be mentioned for those students who can use it.

Seems like if something is built with taxpayer dollars then taxpayers should be allowed to use it.

Same can be said for the LE ranges. There was a proposal to open those ranges to the public a couple of years ago, but LE lobbied against it. Basically it came down to it being too much trouble to them to actually provide the service for the public. The whining was enormous. :up:

• 3 years later...
Guest SpcWashington

The range at gray kennels is open to the public. Its still under construction but I think that the 3 lanes are open now. I would call for pricing and availability.

Guest Ae-35

Thanks for the info , I went to Scioto last year or maybe 2 yrs. ago. Crowded, on even a Wednesday morning, 7am, Place was pretty shot up. Worst of all, many very un-safe shooters!!!!People walking to score targets and others just start blazing away !!!! NO THANKS !!! Besides my 2 target stands for up to 25 yards., I just put up a Plate at 100yds, on the hill. So I'm good.:D

Guest friesepferd

i know this place was already mentioned, but i give two thumbs up to TAC2 in greeneville. wonderful range with lots of shooting bays and long rifle range as well. Doc (the guy that runs it) does lots of comps (IDPA,etc) and classes. Great christian guy as well. I highly recommend.

Guest SUNTZU
WOW, major blast from the past.

Miss you Shannon.

( I almost with someone could lock down his threads)

Threw me for a loop as well.