Give me just 3 examples

Guest rebeldrummer

But don't forget that the Luger is where it all came from.

The Luger was probably chambered in 9x19 before anything produced in any amount but the Luger was made for a round called 30 Luger/ 7.65x something. That is the only reason I don't rank the Luger P08 in the top 3.

The Luger was probably chambered in 9x19 before anything produced in any amount but the Luger was made for a round called 30 Luger/ 7.65x something. That is the only reason I don't rank the Luger P08 in the top 3.

The Luger was made in many models and variations, just like most other pistols. The 'P08' is the German military contract model and was made only in 9x19mm. That cartridge was designed specifically for the Luger at the wishes of the German Army who adopted it and the pistol in 1908.

The round is referred to as the "9MM Luger" for a reason.

Well I believe Georg Luger invented the Luger handgun and then chambered them for a 9mm Parabellum that we sometimes call a 9mm Luger.

The 9×19mm Parabellum (abbreviated 9mm, 9×19mm or 9×19) cartridge was designed by Georg Luger and introduced in 1902 by the German weapons manufacturer Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken (DWM) for their Luger semi-automatic pistol.[6] For this reason, it is designated as the 9mm Luger / 9mm Luger +P by the SAAMI [7] and the 9 mm Luger by the C.I.P.),

The Beretta locking block is taken directly from the P-38. The double-action trigger and safety are also based on the P-38. In fact, if you change the P-38 recoil spring from a dual spring to single larger one under the barrel, and extend the slide to accommodate it, you only have to add a double-column magazine to have the early Beretta 92 model.

Guest rebeldrummer

i have always liked the p08....even since I was younger (and before I had a big interest in firearms)

i think the first time I saw it (to be honest and don't laugh) was in the movie Indiana Jones! ha ha ha..

Now I may have "seen" it before, but i guess that is just when I first "realized" the pistol.....

Having said that, I will say that it will be one of, if not, the last pistols I acquire in my "quest" to collect some iconic 9mm's....

the search continues....currently I am on the trail of a CZ75 or a Beretta 92/M9

1) Browning Hi Power - Legendary 9mm semi auto, one of the first specifically designed for the 9mm

2) CZ-75 - One of the first widely distributed "Wonder 9s" that first gave police and military the idea to replace wheel guns with a high capacity semi auto.

3) Glock 17 - Introduced the world to the polymer frame pistol

Since the question was "iconic" and not trend-setting or historical in the development of handguns sense, then my list, as has been pointed out before:

Luger

P-38

Glock

My 72 year old mother who knows nothing about guns other that her beloved Chief's Special and Ruger Bearcat could pick these all out of a lineup and my father never owned any one of the three even though he went through a lot of guns.

The Hi Power and CZ-75 are absolutey magnificent pistols and in the grand scheme of things are two of the best 9's ever made that actually also did set some historical precedent.

Edited by Garufa

Since ive already said my 3 and there seems to be a pattern in what everyone else thinks, its basically

Luger P08

Walther P38

Browning Hi Power

CZ75

Beretta 92

Sig P226

Glock 17

A combination of three any of those seems to be 90-95% of the answers here

Also while not really pistols but iconic 9mms nonetheless are the previously mentioned Uzi and Glock 18.

Edited by nightrunner