Signed up for another class

Guest Shane

Guest Shane

Three of us from Murfreesboro just signed up for the Wilderness Survival class that Tactical Response is putting on in Camden, TN. If I got stranded in the wilderness I would not know where to begin in-order to get food, water, shelter or how to navigate properly. This course teaches all of that and much more. I was planning on attending Boulder Outdoor Survival School but then Tactical Response added this to their schedule and I thought it would be much more convenient and a great start. I have always had bad dreams about being alone in the woods, so I figured this would help me get over that too. :up:

Here is more information if anyone is interested:

Wilderness Survival

Whether you are out for a day hike or driving through the mountains with your family, vacationing in the tropics or hunting in deep woods things can go wrong quickly and throw you into a life or death survival situation. Do you know what to do to make it out alive? Do you know what NOT to do?

From the Donner Party to hurricane Katrina people have made many mistakes dealing with their survival. Would you like to know what to do if things went bad for you., your family, or society in general? Are you just interested in what you might do if placed in a tough situation? Would you just like a challenge?

This two day survival course will show you how survival situations unfold, often going from bad to worse and teach you what deadly mistakes to avoid. While this is a two day course, it is a full 30 hours, day and night, on the ground learning, living and putting into practice the skills you need to survive a 72 hour situation. It will be a survival situation from start to finish.

This class is also suitable for spouses and children to attend. It could also be viewed as a "roughing it" camping weekend with a personal guide! This is a low stress class and anyone healthy enough to go shopping is fit enough for this course. Completion of this course will provide the student with the mindset, confidence, tools and techniques to help ensure his survival in a 72 hour wilderness survival situation. This course is taught by survival and outdoors expert Russ Kolkman. He can be reached directly at rkolkman1@verizon.net if you have any questions about the course.

Some of the Things You Will Learn Include:

- Proper Mindset for Survival

- Prioritizing Your Survival Needs

- Making Your Survival Plan

- Building a Shelter

- Making a Fire

- Finding and Treating Water

- Signaling for Help

- Basic Land Navigation

- Foraging for Food

- Basic First Aid

- Effects of Weather, Dehydration and Altitude

- How to Get Found and Rescued

- How to Build and Pack a Good Survival Kit

- Improvising With the Tools You Have

- Survival Tricks, Tips, Myths and Basic Bush craft

2 Days (32 hours)/$400

Course Equipment List:

- One (1) open mind

Students can bring what they normally carry in their pockets daily. Items like keys, wallet, holstered handgun and spare mag, pocket knife or multi-tool, cell phone, spare change, cigarettes and lighter/matches (Only if you smoke), flashlight. Be honest with yourself and only bring the things you really carry on your person every day. We strongly recommend sturdy, broken in boots and well designed socks for hiking or camping. Also bring outdoor clothing that can be added or taken off in layers, a hat, sunglasses, watch, belt, raingear is fine and weather appropriate gloves are fine.

Students are asked not to bring space blankets, parachute cord, food, compasses, backpacks, waist packs or any other non-typical items that will not be found in anyone’s pocket on an ordinary day.

Tactical Response will provide all survival gear and medical supplies (bring your own prescription medications).

Email: Info@TacticalResponse.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just registered.

I hope nothing eats US!

I like this part:

"Students are asked not to bring space blankets, parachute cord, food, compasses, backpacks, waist packs or any other non-typical items that will not be found in anyone’s pocket on an ordinary day."

People envision themselves as having all this neet equipment if something bad happens. What if you don't?

Guest macho999

I spent a couple of days in the woods a few summers ago. All you need is a skillet, fishing pole, hooks, line, tequila, and fillet knife. A tent helps too but with the tequila the ground is pretty comfortable.

Also bring outdoor clothing that can be added or taken off in layers, a hat, sunglasses, watch, belt, raingear is fine and weather appropriate gloves are fine.

Students are asked not to bring space blankets, parachute cord, food, compasses, backpacks, waist packs or any other non-typical items that will not be found in anyone’s pocket on an ordinary day.

The problem is, first they tell you to bring rain gear, layer able clothing, rain gear and gloves, and then they tell you not to bring space blankets etc.

My point is, are you going for survival where your car has run off the road or where you are out camping or what? It makes a difference. Granted the basic rules will be the same, but one thing that makes sense to have on hand (believe it or not) would be a boy scout manual. There is a TON of useful information in there. Many of the "skills" that you would need to survive in the wilderness are taught there.

Now, I would be interested in learning what all needs to be in a GOOD survival pack. I keep adding things to my jeep that I think I might need should I break down somewhere and have to trek out etc.

Thoughts?

• Administrator
[/i]The problem is, first they tell you to bring rain gear, layer able clothing, rain gear and gloves, and then they tell you not to bring space blankets etc.

My point is, are you going for survival where your car has run off the road or where you are out camping or what? It makes a difference. Granted the basic rules will be the same, but one thing that makes sense to have on hand (believe it or not) would be a boy scout manual. There is a TON of useful information in there. Many of the "skills" that you would need to survive in the wilderness are taught there.

Now, I would be interested in learning what all needs to be in a GOOD survival pack. I keep adding things to my jeep that I think I might need should I break down somewhere and have to trek out etc.

Thoughts?

I was an Eagle Scout and we did this sort of wilderness survival thing several times. I carry enough stuff in my truck to get me by were I to break down somewhere also. What's in my kit depends on the season. I don't carry winter clothes in the summer, etc. "Be prepared".

Guest Phantom6

I keep a small bag in each one of my vehicles just for emergency purposes that contains all of the following:

(1) Small first aid kit

(1) Mirror

(1) Whistle

(1)Compass

(1) Poncho

(1) Pack of 2 fish hooks and 10 ft. of line

(1) Disposable butane lighter

(5) Emergency Candles

(1) can of Sterno

(1) Small zip-lock bag of excelsior (dry tender for fire starting)

(1) Complete change of clothes

(4) Food Bars

(1) Qt. Bottled water

(1) Metal camp cup

(1) Small roll toilet paper (some things just shouldn't be left to chance):)

(1) Pair Work Gloves

(1) Bottle of Water Purification Tablets

(4) 12 Hour Green Lightsticks

(1) P-38 Can Opener

(1) 6x6 Poly tarp

(1) 50 ft. Nylon Cord

(1) Swiss Army Knife

(1) Roll of Duct Tape

(1) LED Flashlight

(1) Pkg. extra batteries

(1) Pencil

(1) pocket notebook

It all fits nicely in a small gym bag which sits innocuously in the trunk of my car or behind the seats of my trucks.

My previous wife thought I was nuts but then again, she would get into the car and head off to Lexington, Kentucky in the middle of winter wearing a light jacket and flip-flops.

It has saved me from at least severe discomfort on two different occasions. It's the Eagle Scout in me.

This sounds like it might be a useful class for those people who need a primer on survival. As I mentioned in another thread, survival doesn't require a lot of equipment. Glad to see that approach here.

Apart from getting shot at (and shot) the only time I've really used my survival skills in an unplanned situation was on a day hike along the Blue Ridge. I won't bore you with details, but survival situations generally happen because of something simple that goes wrong. Knowing what to do will save your life.

Guest jackdog

Sounds like it would be a worthwhile class. as far as carrying a survival bag in your vehicle, thats a great idea, think I'll put one together for all the vehicles.

Back in my younger days, I used to have a kit with everything from survival gear to stay-over clothes (in case I got lucky) and a Speedo swimsuit in case I got to the beach on one of my drunken excursions. No Speedos these days. I'm in far better shape than most guys my age, but my chest has still receded to my stomach area. :)

Back in my younger days, I used to have a kit with everything from survival gear to stay-over clothes (in case I got lucky) and a Speedo swimsuit in case I got to the beach on one of my drunken excursions. No Speedos these days. I'm in far better shape than most guys my age, but my chest has still receded to my stomach area. :)

None of that was Need to Know Mr. Wolf!!