V.E.P.R. AK Rifles

MiddTennTaco

I've been looking around online and I've been seeing these AK style "V.E.P.R." rifles floating around. What is the deal with these? Does anyone have any experience with them? There's not very much info or reviews online about them. I found a generic video that JG Sales that has the most info about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG1g7DVOx40&feature=player_embedded

To me, it looks like a Cadillac AK. I've seen their prices drop from $900 down now to $589. I'm not really interested in buying one anytime soon, but I'd imagine when I'm ready this would be the AK I'd get.52443-vepr545x39russiansemiautoakstyleriflewithwalnutstock165barreladjsighttgiimportnew-s1.JPG

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Dude

their made in the molot factory that maks the RPK"s. they share the same reciever and barrels as them, but they have the slant cut recievers. i dont care for that myself. they are nice guns though. great shooters. and i believe you can modify the magwell for standard hicap mags.

and sgm tactical is working on getting some 10 round mags made for the x54r.

They are about the best AK you can get. As has been said they are made by the Molot factory which is who makes the Russian militaries RPK's and better quality military weapons.The VEPR is considered the highest quality and most accurate of the AK family. Slant cut recievers are no big deal as there and plenty of folks who make adapters and stocks that fit them.

BTW- the 5.56 and 7.62x39 work with standard AK mags if you add a $2 bullet guide. Just like the Saiga's. The x54's can be modified to take SVD/PSL mags in a similar fashion.

Keep in mind there are 3 varieties. The VEPR has standard AK front and rear sights. The one pictured above has "fixed/integrated" sights and is not military issue. The Super Vepr is is designed as a hunting rifle and has the integrated sights and a completley different barrel and stock.

The only problem I see with the 7.62x54r is that I would shoot corrosive surplus through it which would suck being as expensive as the rifle is. It would be a different story if the gun were used/old/surplus.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk 2

It would be an incovenience, but hardly a show stopper.

Guest The Dude

BTW- the 5.56 and 7.62x39 work with standard AK mags if you add a $2 bullet guide. Just like the Saiga's. The x54's can be modified to take SVD/PSL mags in a similar fashion.

this is correct.

and i wouldnt worry about corrosive ammo. id love a super Vepr in x54!

Veprs are fine rifles. I have an original Robinson Arms carbine in .223 These rifles are made from RPK light machinegun reciever and a heavier barrel. My carbine is just over 8 pounds. It is the most accurate AK I have ever shot. Saigas are nice AKs but the Veprs are just at another level. Veprs were also the base weapon for some Mark Krebs best Custom AKs.

• 2 weeks later...

No experience, but excessive reading and drooling. In fact I've never met a single owner. Hmmm. How will we ever know if they live up to the hype. My rathole is sitting pretty with a few 20's in it, thankfully these seem to be very neutered AK style rifles and will still be importable when I can afford one. At least I have awhile to decide on caliber:)

I personally prefer Polytech Legend's on the high-end AK sliding scale, but VEPR's are very nice, no doubt about it.

Are they worth the extra coin over say a mid-tier AK? To some folks they are, but we are talking AK's in the Colt 6920 price range, and 922R neutered for import besides that!

Guest The Dude

It looks threaded in person. Thats one of the small things that made me want it, and why I took a pic of it.

Im still in the process of trying to figure out the best way to get that pin out. I was thinking maybe drill it with a small bit and that a small screw and thread it down to bite into it, and pull it out.

Edited by The Dude

I believe there is a 10 round for the 54r now but it is single stack so it is a huge mag compared to the SVD style. Also there is a company making a replacement FSB w/ SVD style flash hider. Ironwood designs is also working up a replacement stock/grip and handguards that are repro SVD style made to fit on a Vepr if you are wanting a replica look.

Guest The Dude

No welds man. Just a pin that was a pain. I took a small round file to the nut just below the pin until I could see the form of the pin. Then just worked it back and forth. Filed some more, eventually it pushed the pin out on its own. Took about 30 minutes tops. I chose a file so I had less chance to mess up the threads underneath.

Im going to leave this one as is for now. I just ordered my bullet guide and will be shopping for a muzzle device tonight after I get the mag catch filed down.

And to the OP, sorry if I jacked the thread.