WIW Question?? Colt 1911

Guest Terry J

Hey guys and gals. Got a question. I have a guy wanting to trade me a colt 1911 military issue 1918 year model according to the serial number. It is in alright shape maybe 40-50% and original from what i can tell. Just wondering what the value is of these pistols. All the pricing ive looked at bounces anywhere from 300$ on the low end to 3000$ on the high end. Serial number is in the 560000 range. The trade is for my kimber eclipse 10mm in pristine condition.

Note: I am not trying to sell my kimber by the way in case anyone asks. This is just a deal from a buddy of mine im looking into.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The value depends entirely on the condition and originality. That serial # might put it in the "Black Army" range when Colt changed the finishing process in 1918.

That's all I got. As you already know the values are across the spectrum. Without detailed pics or personal examination it will be hard to put a value on it for someone far more experienced that me.

The value depends entirely on the condition and originality. That serial # might put it in the "Black Army" range when Colt changed the finishing process in 1918.

That's all I got. As you already know the values are across the spectrum. Without detailed pics or personal examination it will be hard to put a value on it for someone far more experienced that me.

I havent placed my hands on it yet but it from the pics i have I dont think its a black army edition. I do believe its all original. mag even has string holder on the bottom of it. Some pics it looks blue/black some look brown depending on the side you look at. I also dont see any stamps from where it might have been redone either. I am only looking for a ball park and I do know its hard to value a gun like this without looking at it. I would post pics but im not sure how the owner would feel about it and I dont want to try to promote it for selling as like i said this is between a friend and me. not a public sale.

Edited by Terry J

It's called a lanyard loop....

I had seen what it was called today in my research and when i was typing this i couldnt remember for the life of me what its correct name was. LOL thanks.

Some of the Colts I've come in contact with, in the condition you drscribed(40-50%)have been in the $1000-$1400 range but like Garufa stated it's hard to give a price without seeing or inspecting,check and make sure the no#'s all match and look for the proof marks.Remember it's worth only what someone is willing to pay,if you like it and feel comfortable about trading even then go for it.

So far I cant find any rebuild marks just original stamping from when it was first built. It does not have the original barrell. The markings on the barrell indicate its from an earlier model as well the mag is from a first gen serial number model so those are not period correct. Both of which could be understandable due to wear and tear. The fact that it dosent have any rebuild stamps Intrigues me.