Tackle box

Caster

If you were limited to a tackle box no bigger than say a cigar box and you fishing to EAT not for fun....whatcha got in there?

Obviously hooks and sinkers in various sizes for live bait, I'm thinking more of artificial bait. I'm also thinking of my particular area which will be creeks, ponds, small lakes and rivers like the Harpeth. THink small. I have found that the humble Rooster Tail in all it's sizes and colors to be God's gift to the inept fisherman. You can almost ALWAYS catch fish on a roster tail and finesse isn't so critical as say a jig.

Thoughts?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh... you need a top floating wiggly something. You need a smallish, fly type to get tiny fish if you are in survival mode (you can always net brim etc with some bug looking stuff). You want a diver (faster you pull, deeper it goes) and more than one since they tend to snag after your luck runs dry. Then one that just sinks and shines, your rooster tail is perfect, or maybe the old feather jig type.

Add to that a few things to handle meaty bait (hook, sinker, float setups) should you have something to use, even catching bugs/worms works here.

the rest starts to look like duplication / replacement / repair stuff ... pliers, extra line, so on.

An assortment of dry/wet flies, poppers/ants/spiders, streamers will feed you 8 months out of the year on 'bout any body of water in the state. And you still have 7/8 of your cigar box free. You can use 'em with clear bubble on spinning rod if you don't fish a fly rod.

Fill up another third of it will various plastic worms/tubes.

Another third with all the terminal tackle, bait hooks, sinkers, small bobbers, jig/tube lead heads, weedless hook rigs, etc.

Fill up the mostly remaining third with fav "hard" lures, jigs, spinners, spoons, plugs.

Don't forget yer fillet knife, carried separately. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

This may sound odd, but I always keep a pair of pantyhose in my tacklebox. Cut a small square out of it, wrap it around a chicken liver or small pile of bluegill or other fish guts, put a hook through it and you have a great catfish bait. The material prevents minnows and other small fish from stealing the innards before the cat comes along.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

This may sound odd, but I always keep a pair of pantyhose in my tacklebox. Cut a small square out of it, wrap it around a chicken liver or small pile of bluegill or other fish guts, put a hook through it and you have a great catfish bait. The material prevents minnows and other small fish from stealing the innards before the cat comes along.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

I use cheese cloth &/or old gauze for the same thing, especially on yo-yo's.

I have gotten into stream fishing where I wade and walk the bank so I don't like to carry a lot of stuff. I have a small tackle box, maybe 4"x8" that has six compartments. I carry a Rebel crawfish which is always my go to lure. A small Rapala, a Hoola Popper, chartreuse jigs, a couple or rooster tails and chatter bait. This combo has served me well over the years and has rarely left me wanting for something else.