Handgun to use during HCP class

Guest shellbell

Guest shellbell

I'm comfortable using a 1911 45 ACP but for HCP class I wanted to use a friend's 1911 that has the Advantage Arms 22LR Conversion Kit installed. Since we're just putting holes in paper for a test, I wanted to save money and not worry about recoil too.

Do any of you all see a problem with using this? Would the instructor have a problem with it not being a "name brand" handgun or something odd?

Thanks

Edited by shellbell

I'm comfortable using a 1911 45 ACP but for HCP class I wanted to use a friend's 1911 that has the Advantage Arms 22LR Conversion Kit installed. Since we're just putting holes in paper for a test, I wanted to save money and not worry about recoil too.

Do any of you all see a problem with using this? Would the instructor have a problem with it not being a "name brand" handgun or something odd?

Thanks

You supply your own gun and ammo so it's whatever you want. I did mine with my Sig P226 and a 22LR Conversion Kit. It's just cheaper to shoot 48 rounds of 22 vs 48 rounds of .40.

Too many is more than one. They take the lightest recoiling pistol they can so they can make the qualification standards. They don't qualify with their carry weapon/caliber. Too many, again, don't practice enough to become proficient....they get their HCP and shoot maybe once or twice a year - if ever. My FIL is one. He thinks he will magically rise to the occasion and he will be safe just because he's carrying. You revert to your lowest level of training.

.22 absolutely, 100% has it's place in training. But I don't think it should become the default replacement, especially with pistols.

For those that take .22's to this class to save money, what does that save you? $20? A WalMart value pack? I would argue that you're losing out on practice time, especially since this is a class. On the flip side, if you already do a lot of shooting, then rock on with that .22....but not in a qualification class.

• Like 1

If you have it already, think about using the gun you will carry to get in a good practice session.

A .22 saves money and recoil and many, many shooters qualify with a .22. The instructor will not look at your gun unless it is very cool or you have a problem and need his help.

Edit: well, the question mentioned .45, and that is $20 a box, and you shoot 2 boxes so its $40 bucks on top of the cost of the class and permit and gas and everything. Some folks, that a lot of money to spend in one week and reducing it from $40 to $5 by going to .22 may matter to some. Also, if shooting something awful like a 44 mag snubbie for your carry gun, a 50 or 75 or whatever it is round session might be a bit much for even the toughest of us.

Edited by Jonnin

I had always heard/thought that you should qualify with the caliber you will carry or larger. Because if you qualify with a .22 revolver and go out and have to shoot someone with a .45 ACP then that could be used against you in court. The prosecutor could try to argue that you may not be "proficient" with that caliber because they have found that you used a little ol' .22 plinkster to test with. No matter how many guns you own or if you shoot every week. It would be how the jury saw it. I am not saying that could happen and I don't even know if it has ever happened. Just something I had always heard and it does make sense.

GDGlock, I'm sorry but that's one of the more ridiculous theories I've heard regarding qualification. Do you qualify for every caliber you might or might not own in the future? The same qualifying for a revolver or semiauto?

If you carry a .44 snubbie for an EDC, practice carrying that caliber might do someone good.....not financially of course. That's far too much gun for this guy.

My reply isn't specifically to the OP, it's more to the qual process in general. I get why people use .22's......I just don't agree with a majority of the reasons. A .22 does save money. A .22 does save recoil.....and I think that's why most use it. They're worried they won't qual with a full size caliber even though they're willing to carry that full size caliber. I think saving $20-40 bucks is a poor choice in the long run compared to the benefits of using it for qualification.

Shooting any gun of any caliber one session means nothing, especially in a HCP class. This is not the place to 'test' what gun you are going to carry. The whole process is mostly a joke........the class no more makes one an able, responsible gun-toting citizen anymore than it makes one an attorney practicing gun law.

Look. That class is basically to remove liability from the state if you do something stupid. It is so when the lawyers say he had a permit issued in TN, the state can say he took our class and we told him he couldn't do that. I can't think of but one person from my class 2 years ago that I would want to back me up by watching their qualifications. And they all hit the target. It was just their comfort level of handling firearms and lack of respect for firearms that bothered me about some of them.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

I had always heard/thought that you should qualify with the caliber you will carry or larger. Because if you qualify with a .22 revolver and go out and have to shoot someone with a .45 ACP then that could be used against you in court. The prosecutor could try to argue that you may not be "proficient" with that caliber because they have found that you used a little ol' .22 plinkster to test with. No matter how many guns you own or if you shoot every week. It would be how the jury saw it. I am not saying that could happen and I don't even know if it has ever happened. Just something I had always heard and it does make sense.

Well I'd be screwed 'cause I never had to go through a class or qualify at all. Guess that means I got a right to carry but shouldn't defend myself lest I be convicted for not qualifying on some silly test I could pass whilst drunk and blindfolded.

Ok, back to topic. I recommend you do it with the firearm you want to carry. Why? Hopefully, this will be the only time you have any stress on you while shooting. If you do not pass the shooting test, you do not get your permit, right? So, this added stress will give a glimpse on how well you will perform in a stressful situation. Besides, you can buy 50 rounds of .45 for under $20, from Academy, or Walmart, or most Mom and Pop shops. So really, you are not saving much $ by using the .22lr.

I used my .45 I carry. It was fun. The shooting test is easy (you should get 100%.) And it showed me some things I needed to work on (my hold and trigger pull had me shooting low and to the left, something I have fixed mostly.)

Besides, the reaction when I fired my first shot, was well worth it. (The pew pew pew, of 22lr, followed by a loud BLAT of my .45.)

Edited by HvyMtl