Handgun to use during HCP class

Guest shellbell

Use whatever you want to. Just make sure that you are familiar with the gun and how it shoots, feels, and functions (loading, unloading, safety, slide lock, trigger, and even how to clear a jam.) You don't want to shoot the course with a completely unfamiliar gun. ;)

This would be my biggest concern. Before you borrow a friend's gun for the class, make sure it is at least as reliable as your 45. You don't want to be the guy that can't enjoy the shooting because your gun keeps jamming. Personaly, I would take my own 45 and enjoy it, but it's really your choice.

Edited by Batman

OK. Its incorrect then. I plainly said it's just something I have heard. We all know that everything on this forum is fact right? I guess I'll be the one to beat on today because I wasted 12 seconds of everyone's valuable time. From now on I won't share anything I've heard. I will Google and fact check to make sure not to knock anyone off their rocker. It seems to me that many on here just wait and watch for something to pounce on. It's quite rude sometimes honestly. Instead of saying "oh I've never heard that. Don't sound right though", you take it further to say I'm wasting your time. I'm not whining but I guess I haven't learned to just let loose and say whatever. I need to learn to cut my courtesy switch off.

Guest MilitiaMan

Too many is more than one. They take the lightest recoiling pistol they can so they can make the qualification standards. They don't qualify with their carry weapon/caliber. Too many, again, don't practice enough to become proficient....they get their HCP and shoot maybe once or twice a year - if ever. My FIL is one. He thinks he will magically rise to the occasion and he will be safe just because he's carrying. You revert to your lowest level of training.

.22 absolutely, 100% has it's place in training. But I don't think it should become the default replacement, especially with pistols.

For those that take .22's to this class to save money, what does that save you? $20? A WalMart value pack? I would argue that you're losing out on practice time, especially since this is a class. On the flip side, if you already do a lot of shooting, then rock on with that .22....but not in a qualification class.

This sums it up perfectly.

OK. Its incorrect then. I plainly said it's just something I have heard. We all know that everything on this forum is fact right? I guess I'll be the one to beat on today because I wasted 12 seconds of everyone's valuable time. From now on I won't share anything I've heard. I will Google and fact check to make sure not to knock anyone off their rocker. It seems to me that many on here just wait and watch for something to pounce on. It's quite rude sometimes honestly. Instead of saying "oh I've never heard that. Don't sound right though", you take it further to say I'm wasting your time. I'm not whining but I guess I haven't learned to just let loose and say whatever. I need to learn to cut my courtesy switch off.

It has nothing to do with that. It has everything to do with perpetuating unfounded rumors. If repeated enough, they take a life of their own. No one is being rude, no one is pouncing on you. It's about being accountable for your words. Posting incorrect rumor is irresponsible.

There's no reason to get upset.

• Like 1

My wife used a .22 to qualify due to her arthritic hands. She was usually only good for about 25 to 30 rounds at the range with her 9mm without her hands hurting for days. So she used an unfamiliar .22 single action revolver. She didn't shoot as well with the .22 but easily passed (96%). She hurried her shots because it took her longer to reload and she knew she was holding the others in the class up. In my opinion, this is a better test of ability than shooting your own weapon. You're just punching paper to get your permit.

I used my antique H&R .22. Cylinder has to be removed to reload.

Instructor actually asked, "You're not gonna carry that thing are you?"

I said, "Sure, just look how fast I can reload it!"

I didn't figure I needed to add a wink, but guess I did, he seemed to take it seriously.

Plus, it's the tactical high capacity 9 round model and all.

HR.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 2

Well, if you practice a lot before you go to the class, you shouldn't have any problem. I remember a woman who bought

her carry gun minutes before the class, on her husband's/boy friend's recommendations. Good ole gal, I just though

that was dumb. She passed thew requirements, anyway. Tells you how easy it is to pass the requirements.

Fondle, purchase, practice months ahead. Should be okay.

I agree with 6.8AR, practice with and know your firearm. There were a LOT of people buying their firearm, then immediately using it to do the test, even before they wiped the packing grease off.

And yes, I do not know of anyone not passing the test, that day. I will say this, find a good reputable place for the class. I do have a recommendation, if you want, pm me.

Guest robin.kempton

My wife is using her Glock model 19 for her HCp class. I've taken her out several times to get comfortable with shooting out at Montgomery Shooting Complex and she loves that gun (Birthday gift). She is scheduled to take the class the third week of October and has convinced three other women, my rear Detachment NCOIC (non-commisioned officer in charge) and the OIC (officer in charge) of rear Detachment along with my son to take the class as well. Since my wife is the FRG (family readiness group) leader for our company she talks to many women about concealed carry and has several women seriously considering taking the class too. Its catching on fast and from what I hear the classes are filling up fast. If for some reason you don't feel comfortable there are classes specifically for women, where you will be surrounded by women that are in the same status as yourself to guide you and help you become comfortable. I've seen many women at the Montgomery shooting complex and they were all there to learn like everyone else.We are there to help, we want responsible people with weapons out there and will help anyone without making fun of them.....we were there once.

UPDATE: My wife now has 15 people signed up to take the conealed carry class.....seems Ft. Campbell is now going to be heavily armed. Note to the bad guys in the Ft. Campbell area, be careful who you think might be your next victim. It might be you laying on the ground waiting on an ambulance this time.

Edited by robin.kempton
Guest robin.kempton

I think the point thats trying to be made here (just my opinion, not absolute proof) is just become proficient with the weapon that you plan on carrying. You have the option to shoot with any weapon you desire for the class. For what ever reason you choose to shoot the weapon that you brought, thats up to you, not popular opinion. Its whatever you are most comfortable with.