DIY Portable target stand

When you have more time than sense. I saw something similar on the internet.

Cost: <$10.00; $5.00 flea market folding chair; $3.00 worth of PVC pipe; $2.00 PVC joints; stakes lying around, hammer ?

Time: < 30 minutes if you have the parts

Weight: 10lbs

Why?: Because I needed it and wanted something I could adjust height to so that I can shoot at various heights depending on backstop, distance and postion..

If necessary the stakes are driven through two of the feet which already have holes drilled through the plastic bases. I kept the hammer small due to weight.

Portabletarget1a.jpg

Portabletargetreadyforbag.jpg

Portabletargetcasedat10lbs1a.jpg

• 4 years later...

I’m bumping this back up instead of starting a new thread, shame the pics are gone; thanks Photobucket. :wall:

I’m going to make a target stand out of PVC pipe. It will be a PVC base with upright tubes to hold 1x2’s.

Besides pistol shooting it will be used for long range high power rifle with folks of varying degrees of experience, so the chance of hitting an upright tube is good.

I figure that if I use PVC cement there is no taking it apart to replace the tubes. So I’m thinking if I use something like Elmer’s glue it would hold it together, but I should be able to twist the tube to break the bond and replace it. What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I’m bumping this back up instead of starting a new thread, shame the pics are gone; thanks Photobucket. :wall:

I’m going to make a target stand out of PVC pipe. It will be a PVC base with upright tubes to hold 1x2’s.

Besides pistol shooting it will be used for long range high power rifle with folks of varying degrees of experience, so the chance of hitting an upright tube is good.

I figure that if I use PVC cement there is no taking it apart to replace the tubes. So I’m thinking if I use something like Elmer’s glue it would hold it together, but I should be able to twist the tube to break the bond and replace it. What do you guys think?

Just stick them together with no glue, it'll hold fine if you're thoughtful with where you put the joints. A layer of masking tape can help tighten up loose joints.  

It'll also be a lot easier to disassemble for easy transport. 

• Like 1

I slapped this one together with stuff laying around. I didn't glue it and so far it's been pretty sturdy. 

The wood can take more hits than pvc. It's small enough to throw in a trunk or back of the Polaris easily

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Moderators
8 hours ago, peejman said:

Just stick them together with no glue, it'll hold fine if you're thoughtful with where you put the joints. A layer of masking tape can help tighten up loose joints.  

It'll also be a lot easier to disassemble for easy transport. 

And some duct tape to perform repairs in the field in case someone does hit the uprights. 

• Like 2

I made one for ARA practice similar to Ugly's, but I used PVC pipe for the uprights, and some wood 1x3 or 4's for crossties (bolted on) to hold the target/backer board.  I glued the legs (bases) together but the uprights come apart from the bases with a twist.  All of it fits in my Sport Trac bed with all the other "stuff" I feel I need for this past time.  Chances of hitting the legs is slim in this style of shooting, but I've seen it happen when someone was trying to zero a scope.

• Like 1