Do you carry your firearm with one in the chamber?

Do you carry your firearm with one in the chamber?  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you carry with one in the chamber?

• Yes, all the time.
    • No, never.
    • Sometimes, depends on my mood and weapon.
    • What's a gun?!

If one's not chambered the gun's not loaded IMO. I don't train like the Israelis so it's not natural to me to rack the slide in a panic situation. If my pistol is unloaded [empty chamber] it's not in my holster 'cause I ain't carrying it. If a person is so paranoid OR [more to the point] so unsure of his/her ability to maintain control over the weapon then perhaps that person needs to reevaluate their decision to carry in the first place.

Edited by Caster
  • Like 3

If you can't either pull the trigger, or flip off safety & then pull trigger and get a bang - it is just a large expensive paperweight. If my guns are loaded and ready to roll, they are in a holster. Even if they are just sitting on a nightstand, if it is loaded I make sure to have it even in a cheap nylon holster to make sure the trigger is covered.

Whilst travelling to Springfield TN, I had an interesting talk with a county LEO. He politely asked me "Do you have a round chambered?" I said "yes sir, I do. And also have my carry permit." Then the LEO told me something a little disturbing... Now, whether he was BSing me, I've no clue.... He told me that he could arrest me for having one in the chamber and asked me to return to my vehicle and unload my firearm... Yeah, I did as he asked since he was so nice about it but felt a little angry at this. I did not want to cause a scene, nor did I want confrontation privately between the officer and myself.

Whilst travelling to Springfield TN, I had an interesting talk with a county LEO. He politely asked me "Do you have a round chambered?" I said "yes sir, I do. And also have my carry permit." Then the LEO told me something a little disturbing... Now, whether he was BSing me, I've no clue.... He told me that he could arrest me for having one in the chamber and asked me to return to my vehicle and unload my firearm... Yeah, I did as he asked since he was so nice about it but felt a little angry at this. I did not want to cause a scene, nor did I want confrontation privately between the officer and myself.

He can't arrest you for that, but I imagine he would dream up something if he had to dream that up.

If he could have arrested you for it, he would have. He was LYING.

There is no law in Tennessee that prohibits condition 1 carry. I'm sorry, but I would have challenged him on that, and if need be, I would have asked for his supervisor to make an appearance.

A cop has NO RIGHT to lie in an attempt to intimidate me, particularly when it comes to exercising my constitutional rights. :rant:

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 4

If he could have arrested you for it, he would have. He was LYING.

There is no law in Tennessee that prohibits condition 1 carry. I'm sorry, but I would have challenged him on that, and if need be, I would have asked for his supervisor to make an appearance.

Sorry, but a cop has NO RIGHT to lie to me, particularly when it comes to exercising my constitutional rights. :rant:

Dude, why do you want to cause problems? He could have just been making small talk...

Edited by sigmtnman
  • Like 2

Pretty sure that "round in the chamber" thing applies to rifles in your car, with a permit. Don't think the rule applies to your HCP authorized pistol. That would mean the LEO was wrong, and ought to be corrected, but you were smart to not correct him at the side of the road.

Edited by QuietDan

And that's exactly how they get away with it.

I agree 99%

I will say, I would have complied too. BECAUSE, there's no threat and it's the fastest way to get away from the guy. During the process I would have noted the name tag and car number then immediately made a complaint to his department. Confrontation on the spot is never advantageous so why do it? I would certainly like to but WON'T. I'd bottle it up and ream his supervisor in a setting where there's no possible way I could see the back seat of a car.

• Like 4

And that's exactly how they get away with it.

It all ties back in to the ak pistol thread.

If a LEO does not know the law and makes it up on the fly .... there are serious problems with the system, whatever else is going on.

Comply now, get the police report tomorrow, get your law and facts straight, and take it to a lawyer or write an editorial on it. Getting into it on the side of the road is a losing strategy every time.

As to the topic, I carry deep concealed and ready to go.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Confrontation on the spot is never advantageous so why do it?

What confrontation? I don't have the right to question law enforcement if they are misquoting the law and if I do it in a respectful manner?

You can let them intimidate you if you like. Not me.

• Like 2

What confrontation? I don't have the right to question law enforcement if they are misquoting the law and if I do it in a respectful manner?

You can let them intimidate you if you like. Not me.

Of course you do. He also has the ABILITY [not right] to abuse his authority and make your life hell. No, I'm not one to take a lie down and take it attitude, BUT there's a difference in retreating and a tactical withdrawal. It's not cowardice to refuse to fight a battle you know you can't win. Roadside arguments NEVER go well for working men.

Go for it. In a respectful and nonthreatening manner, you let him have it. The way i see it though, I'd rather step back and fire from cover if ya know what I mean.

• Like 1

Of course you do. He also has the ABILITY [not right] to abuse his authority and make your life hell. No, I'm not one to take a lie down and take it attitude, BUT there's a difference in retreating and a tactical withdrawal. It's not cowardice to refuse to fight a battle you know you can't win. Roadside arguments NEVER go well for working men.

Go for it. In a respectful and nonthreatening manner, you let him have it. The way i see it though, I'd rather step back and fire from cover if ya know what I mean.

I'm not talking about arguing OR "letting him have it". I am talking about pointing out that his statement is not factual. If he chooses to maintain otherwise, then the conversation is over and I will be in contact with his superiors.

I agree 99%

I will say, I would have complied too. BECAUSE, there's no threat and it's the fastest way to get away from the guy. During the process I would have noted the name tag and car number then immediately made a complaint to his department. Confrontation on the spot is never advantageous so why do it? I would certainly like to but WON'T. I'd bottle it up and ream his supervisor in a setting where there's no possible way I could see the back seat of a car.

Same here. I also don't like the idea of the officer shooting me and telling everyone that I drew my weapon. Only the survivor gets the chance to tell his story.

Back to the original post.... I always carry chambered, I check the chamber every single morning to make sure that I have a round chambered before I leave the house. I've had people tell me numerous times (100% of which have never carried) that I'm stupid and asking for an accident. They are further annoyed that I usually carry a Glock. I've been carrying Glocks daily for 8 years and have yet to have any sort of negligent incident, knock on wood. Gotta think about what you are doing when you are carrying 100% of the time.

On another important note... In college I knew a guy that carried. One evening he was pointing his weapon (Glock) at people and saying "pow" he wasn't intoxicated or anything, just stupid (he's a doctor now by the way.) I wasn't around or there would have been problems. Anyway he got home that evening and was going to clean the gun, he pulled the trigger to begin the disassembly process and it went off. Classic example of "I didn't think that it was loaded." 1) I assume my guns are always loaded. 2) I thought my carry gun was chambered once and it was not, that could have been a dangerous situation had I needed it. 3) I always visually check that the chamber is empty before I pull the trigger to disassemble a gun whic is pretty much the only time my carry guns are unchambered anyway.