Do you carry your firearm with one in the chamber?

Do you carry your firearm with one in the chamber?  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you carry with one in the chamber?

• Yes, all the time.
    • No, never.
    • Sometimes, depends on my mood and weapon.
    • What's a gun?!

I only posted here to help answer some legal questions. I don't claim to know every tca or federal court ruling. I am happily watching the lady governors play volleyball right now but if you private message me I will research a topic for you and get back to you within a week or so. However, if you joined in to release your frustrations with cops or tell about that one time... Well I'm sorry and I hope it wasn't me but is this really the place to go cop bashing?

Asking questions is "cop bashing"? Really?

• Like 2

The reason I ask about the legality of it is that I thought it was strange you would run the serial of a gun that wasn't related to a crime. I wondered about how it tied in to search and seizure rules. If you see my laptop in my car, can you run the serial number on it without belief that it is used for some criminal purpose? Also, I fail to see how asking questions is cop bashing. Did I say something rude? If my pistol is locked inside my glove box when I am pulled over, does that change the situation with regard to your ability to seize it?

Can you not see the danger in asking a person seated in a car to unholster his/her weapon and hand it to you? Then you ask them to reload it. To me it just increases the likelihood of an accidental discharge. That's the only point I had.

Of course it's your job and you do it as you see fit, I don't dislike you for your stance on the subject, I just disagree

I think the concern with checking the serial at a traffic stop causes issues with some folks because later down the road that weapon is on record of being in their possession at that date and time. Many people buy, sell, and trade guns regularly. John has an SP101 serial #xxxxx. You stop him and run the serial #. John sells SP101 to Bob the next day. A month later Bob's house get broken into and gun stole then recovered at a crime scene. You start looking for John because a month ago this weapon was in his possession when you pulled him over. The 2A has been upheld to mean that the government cannot keep files on everyone who owns guns just because they own a gun. On another note, I have been pulled over twice while carrying and had the slide locked back and permit in hand when officer approached the vehicle. Neither time did either officer take my weapon just asked me not to touch it. Both times he had a second car come to watch me while he wrote me a ticket. Neither was a bad experience outside of ticket.

I think the concern with checking the serial at a traffic stop causes issues with some folks because later down the road that weapon is on record of being in their possession at that date and time. Many people buy, sell, and trade guns regularly. John has an SP101 serial #xxxxx. You stop him and run the serial #. John sells SP101 to Bob the next day. A month later Bob's house get broken into and gun stole then recovered at a crime scene. You start looking for John because a month ago this weapon was in his possession when you pulled him over. The 2A has been upheld to mean that the government cannot keep files on everyone who owns guns just because they own a gun. On another note, I have been pulled over twice while carrying and had the slide locked back and permit in hand when officer approached the vehicle. Neither time did either officer take my weapon just asked me not to touch it. Both times he had a second car come to watch me while he wrote me a ticket. Neither was a bad experience outside of ticket.

He called in backup? That's ridiculous. The second officer could have been out lowering the ridiculous 911 response times. At least in Knox County, that is.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I carry one in the chamber, safety off, mag topped off. As long as you keep your booger hook off the bang switch until necessary, all is good.

This.^^

After reading the last few pages, I see one issue no one has brought up.......if an officer is asking me to hand over my weapon that is legally holstered and loaded, COULD that not be misconstrued by any officer or backup officer at any time that I am now imploring defense of myself causing the officers to believe that I am now intending harm to the officer? Think about it guys, GUN-COP-ME with a gun in my hand, I sneeze (making a sudden action) the officer misconstrues the action and draws his weapon thinking I'm trying to shoot him and now he's shooting me........Just seems like disaster recipie for both parties. Seemes pretty ignorant for an officer to do such a thing with a legal HCP holder that got pulled over for a "rolling stop" at a stop sign. Accidents happen and every situation is different. I don't want to get shot for sneezing while attempting to hand over my weapon that the officer shouldn't be asking me to see just so he can run the S/N.

I have officers in my family and I understand where an officers mind is during a simple traffic stop. The officers feel uneasy anyways as they all want to go home at the end of the day. This just seems STUPID for an officer to do on a simple traffic stop....it's just upping the tension for both parties. The legal HCP holder should not have to do anything except get his traffic ticket and be on his way. I feel it's just safer for both parties.....your opinions may vary.

BTW......the few times I've been through "road blocks" at night and shown my liscense and HCP, I've never been questioned or hassled. Most officers would perfer NOT to handle or even see a weapon at a traffic stop or road block and I question the motives, judgements and profiling of an officer that does so. Don't care who you are or what department your from, you're putting added danger to a simple traffic stop in asking for the persons firearm loaded or unloaded.........

Edited by kwe45919
  • Like 1

There are statistics that prove those of us with permits to be more law-abiding than the average citizen. Not individually, but as a group. With that in mind, it seems to me that the risk of being shot by a law-abiding permit holder are far lower than being shot or attacked by the average citizen.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the story that disarming someone with an HCP is for the officer's safety. Not at all.

• Like 1
There are statistics that prove those of us with permits to be more law-abiding than the average citizen. Not individually, but as a group. With that in mind, it seems to me that the risk of being shot by a law-abiding permit holder are far lower than being shot or attacked by the average citizen.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the story that disarming someone with an HCP is for the officer's safety. Not at all.

I buy it alright. The exact same way stupid people buy the notion gun-free zones are utopias where nothing bad will ever happen. Just another example of common sense on the run, and now it's long gone. :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

There's another statistic. It only takes one to the chest. I've never been a cop, and haven't experienced the anxiety of traffic stops. I agree with you on permit holders. I know a bunch of them. They're the least likely folks to cause any problems.

I've met my share of the rare cops that like to overstep. Pisses me off as much as the next guy. But, if a cop believes that taking control of all weapons is the best way to stay alive, I just can't fault him.

When it comes to running serial numbers, I probably would too. I have a few guns that didn't pass through an FFL. I don't think any of them were stolen, but don't know that for sure.

The reason I ask about the legality of it is that I thought it was strange you would run the serial of a gun that wasn't related to a crime. I wondered about how it tied in to search and seizure rules. If you see my laptop in my car, can you run the serial number on it without belief that it is used for some criminal purpose? Also, I fail to see how asking questions is cop bashing. Did I say something rude? If my pistol is locked inside my glove box when I am pulled over, does that change the situation with regard to your ability to seize it?

Any law enforcement officers or lawyers wanna answer this one?

Edited by oldmustangjunkie

Whilst travelling to Springfield TN, I had an interesting talk with a county LEO. He politely asked me "Do you have a round chambered?" I said "yes sir, I do. And also have my carry permit." Then the LEO told me something a little disturbing... Now, whether he was BSing me, I've no clue.... He told me that he could arrest me for having one in the chamber and asked me to return to my vehicle and unload my firearm... Yeah, I did as he asked since he was so nice about it but felt a little angry at this. I did not want to cause a scene, nor did I want confrontation privately between the officer and myself.

IMHO, please do report the event, and the officer. If you got his name, and badge number, as he has overstepped. I understand not wanting to make a scene at the time. However, he is not acting in the proper manner of a citizen on patrol, and he needs to be better informed. Talk to someone about it.

That said, I also carry with one in the chamber, and the firearm safety on. I have practiced drawing the firearm, while thumbing off the safety, at the same time. I suggest you practice doing this.

Having to fumble around with the firearm to load a round take precious time. Time you may not have.

Edited by HvyMtl

There's another statistic. It only takes one to the chest. I've never been a cop, and haven't experienced the anxiety of traffic stops. I agree with you on permit holders. I know a bunch of them. They're the least likely folks to cause any problems.

I've met my share of the rare cops that like to overstep. Pisses me off as much as the next guy. But, if a cop believes that taking control of all weapons is the best way to stay alive, I just can't fault him.

When it comes to running serial numbers, I probably would too. I have a few guns that didn't pass through an FFL. I don't think any of them were stolen, but don't know that for sure.

Just because you may not like that statistic doesn't mean that it's not significant and/or relevant.

I don't know where all this hate towards cops come from... I instantly call BS on his story, unless he didn't have a handgun permit or unless he was stopped by Coopertown (who i still don't consider cops). Or, as your story would indicate, you had a loaded gun on your hip while talking to the officer and you FAILED to mention you HAD A GUN and forgot to tell him, which is HCP 101 (Or atleast they made me watch some lame video during my hcp class where I was taught to inform the officer first thing during the traffic stop).

When I do traffic stops I always take the handgun and download it. I run the serial, and if its good to go (HCP is valid/gun is not stolen), I give it back downloaded and ask the driver to load up down the road. All of which, I do for my safety.

Like others have said, if its not loaded then all you have is a throwing tool. I personally don't like safetys at all, but I don't trust my 1911 enough to carry cocked without the safety engaged. My glock is cocked and ready to go though, just because I trust the design a little more.

As a former police officer myself from another state that issues ZERO handgun permits - Personally, I would REALLY think twice about ---ordering--- a citizen to handle a firearm simply because of liability especially with it being a stressful situation for the permit holder. You have to realize if any accident happens, its ALL on you. Could you see the driver accidentally hitting the horn? There are far too many things that could go wrong.

You may want to rethink your routine.

• Like 1

As a former police officer myself from another state that issues ZERO handgun permits - Personally, I would REALLY think twice about ---ordering--- a citizen to handle a firearm simply because of liability especially with it being a stressful situation for the permit holder. You have to realize if any accident happens, its ALL on you. Could you see the driver accidentally hitting the horn? There are far too many things that could go wrong.

You may want to rethink your routine.

That's what I was saying. If it's already known that the person has a gun legally and are carrying it legally with thier permit you have in their hand, at that point, I think it's irresponsible to even ask the person to touch it. I mean all it could take is a sneeze and all of a sudden gun shots are blazin'......

Every officer I know has always said "stay buckled and hands on the steering wheel. Please don't move'em until I hand you your license back." Simple enough to do and understand and comply with.