Purchased my first Glock....Malfunctions

mcordell

Hey guys purchased my first glock this week. Went to the range and had a few malfunctions. Pistol is a used glock 19 Gen 2 with a stormlake ported barrel. Ammo used was monarch and hornady brand FMJ

First issue appears to be a light primer strike pics below of one of the rounds that failed and one of the spent cases....obvious difference between the indentations. 5 out of 100rds had this result.

Secondly the slide lock engaged 2 or 3 times while there were still a few rounds in the magazine. Now possibly i flipped the lever up? Not sure....

When i got home and field stripped it the slide lock seems to be "loose" flipping it up requires hardly any force....maybe a new spring is needed? Also i inspected the firing pin and channel there was a little grease or residue on the pin and in the channel which i cleaned.....I havent fired it again yet.

Any help or thoughts on anything else i should inspect or replace? Thanks people

5efgom.jpg

20pf2mp.jpg

azgk28.jpg

My Gen 3 G34 has had the slide lock back here and there randomly (very very few times) while shooting. It has an extended slide release/lock, and I am 99% sure that my grip is just pushing the slide release up just enough to catch. I don't have this problem on my G26, or G21, and both of those have the standard slide release.

If I was going to consider the G34 as more than a range toy, I would personally install a regular slide release just because I seem to hit it every once in a while. I wouldn't want that happening in a Self Defense situation. Since I keep the 26 / 21 around as defense weapons I haven't really worried about it much.

As for the weak strikes, I will leave that to someone else's expertise. +1 on cleaning out the firing pin channel though.

Guest twpayne75

The firing pin channel should be clean and no lube. That could very well be your problem with light strikes. If it's a Gen 2 I would recommend a rebuild kit with all new springs. They cost next to nothing and take all of 5 minutes to put everything in.

The slide release should hold itself firmly to the frame. Shouldn't be hard to push up, but not just dangling either. I would pick up another one. Should be about $10. I recommend the extended slide lock. They cost about the same, but are so much nicer.

Edited by twpayne75
Guest twpayne75

If someone can verify the compatibility between Gen 2 and Gen 3 (other than the grip difference thank you). I have a new slide release, extended mag release, recoil spring assembly, and even 2 new magazine springs I will send you. I bought this kit awhile back when someone was running a special. The kit had a 3.5# connector and extended slide release also. I bought the whole kit because it was cheaper than just the connector and the ext. release, which was what I was after.

If these will work you are welcome to it. I can't remember the 1 pin 2 pin thing with Glocks then. If you could post a side picture of your gun I could tell by it.

If someone can verify the compatibility between Gen 2 and Gen 3 (other than the grip difference thank you). I have a new slide release, extended mag release, recoil spring assembly, and even 2 new magazine springs I will send you. I bought this kit awhile back when someone was running a special. The kit had a 3.5# connector and extended slide release also. I bought the whole kit because it was cheaper than just the connector and the ext. release, which was what I was after.

If these will work you are welcome to it. I can't remember the 1 pin 2 pin thing with Glocks then. If you could post a side picture of your gun I could tell by it.

Very nice that would be very generous of you... I certainly could use them... Let me get a picture real quick of the slide....I know its a gen 2 (2pin).

1. Ported barrel should need 124 grain ammo

2. Make sure the slide lock spring spring is underneath the top pin if a 3 pin gun or that the slide lock spring is underneath that locking block like it is supposed to be.

3. Clean out the firing pin channel and maybe replace the channel liner. If you don't have the appropriate tool just dig it out with a dental pick and replace.

4. Put in a new striker spring. Whoever put that barrel in may have put in a reduced power striker spring, something I never recommend.

5. Make an uncaptured guide rod or a get a guide rod that is capable of spring changes and buy several weights of springs to find the best spring for the ammo you like to shoot. That ported barrel needs to be tuned to both ammo and springs.

6. Trade me that "no good" Glock 19 for my fine functioning stainless steel .357 S&W 640.

Craig in Clarksville

Guest twpayne75

Anybody know the difference in the 2 and 3 pin as far as slide lock is concerned? In Gen 3 and 4 the slide lock is held by the trigger pin and the spring is tucked under the locking block pin. I don't know how it works on a Gen 2. Never saw the inside of one.

Guest twpayne75

It will fit as verified as verified at Lone Wolf, The Glock Store, and Cheaper than Dirt.

All their descriptions and part numbers are the same for Gen 2, 3, and 4 Glock 19s.

Send me your address and I will get this stuff in the mail to you.

It will fit as verified as verified at Lone Wolf, The Glock Store, and Cheaper than Dirt.

All their descriptions and part numbers are the same for Gen 2, 3, and 4 Glock 19s.

Send me your address and I will get this stuff in the mail to you.

You are the best... pm sent! :up:

Take that extended slide release out! First it won't help you and will only hinder you with early slide lock on any Glock if you have a "thumbs up" grip" with any Generation of Glock. I know.... Secondly it isn't the proper slide lock lever for a 2 pin Glock. I'll bet if you get a two pin slide lock your problems will be solved. But then that ported barrel still may require a bit more "oomph" than provided by Winchester White Box 115 or similar ammo.

• Like 2
Guest twpayne75

You are the best... pm sent! :up:

Will get this in the mail tomorrow. All places I checked said the factory slide release (the one I am sending you) is the same for the Gen 2 G19 and Gen 3. It says it different for the Gen 2 G17 for some reason, but who cares. Hopefully it will help and like Graycrait said, it may keep your thumb off it. Best I can tell the extended mag release I am sending you should work in your Gen 2 also, the kit was for a Gen 3. I only have Gen 4 Glocks, which is why I never used this stuff. And if they haven't been changed, I'm sure you are due for some new mag springs.

Will get this in the mail tomorrow. All places I checked said the factory slide release (the one I am sending you) is the same for the Gen 2 G19 and Gen 3. It says it different for the Gen 2 G17 for some reason, but who cares. Hopefully it will help and like Graycrait said, it may keep your thumb off it. Best I can tell the extended mag release I am sending you should work in your Gen 2 also, the kit was for a Gen 3. I only have Gen 4 Glocks, which is why I never used this stuff. And if they haven't been changed, I'm sure you are due for some new mag springs.

Fantastic thats good to hear and i completely agree im sure they need attention. Thanks again!

Guest twpayne75

oops! Take the slide stop lever out and replace it with one for a two-pin gun.

http://www.topgunsup...de-stop-levers/

The one I am sending him has it listed for all G19 models. Even Top Gun doesn't have a different one listed for the two pin G19. Only the two pin G17 and G34 are shown as being different. I checked several places and they are all listed the same. :shrug:

I will have to look again but I know that my Gen 1 2-pin has a different slide stop lever shape.

However, I'll bet in your case of light strikes involves some or a combo of:

1. Striker damage or wear

2. Weak striker spring

3. Dirty striker channel which could also include damaged channel liner and even damaged spring cups (although I haven't seen spring cups damaged)

4. A bur inside or outside of where the striker pokes out of the breech face.

Bottom line is have someone who knows the Glock well completely disassemble and reassemble the gun. Barring a broken locking block here is the things I have found wrong when folks fool around with the guts of their Glocks.

1. Extractor depressor plunger installed backwards

2. Slide lock installed backwards

3. On 3-pin Glocks slide lock lever spring "over" the upper (locking block pin)

4. Damaged or gunked up channel liner (don't put oil in the striker channel)

I mentioned the locking block not because I have ever seen it but a military gunsmith for a Ft Campbell unit who shoot their training Glocks to death told me that he sees broken locking blocks occasionally.

I harp on recoil springs, especially when using aftermarket barrels. I have an extra long barrel in one of my 17Ls. I have to use a lighter spring if I am shooting anemic ammo. I have had a ported 34 barrel that was notorious for poor ejection. Two things fixed that different recoil springs and heavier weight ammo.