Cold weather time is just around the corner. JHP vs FMJ?

What do you guys carry during the cold time with the added layers of clothing? I remember reading an article on here about JHP in .45 either not expanding or expanding on impact with the coat and not penetrating the body? I think I remember reading something about FMJ's were the best bet. Just seeing what you guys carry in the cold weather.

Well if a HP doesn't expand will it leave a smaller hole than a FMJ? Probably not, probably just as deep as well. I think HP are worth the gamble. I've seen some documents on HP 230 gr .45 acp from some manufacturers not having enough velocity to expand anyway so make sure yours will.

Guest BungieCord

The current FBI ballistic test protocol incorporates eight different gel tests, including a "heavy clothing" test that simulates shooting someone wearing a T-shirt, a flannel shirt, a down vest and a denim jacket. Select a round based on a bullet that has received FBI approval and you're good all year round.

I don't change a thing, 9mm Federal HST 124 gr. +P year round. If it doesn't expand, it'll act like a FMJ, penetration wise. From the different ballistic tests I've seen with the HST, I don't feel winter clothing will cause much of a problelm with expansion and penetration.

That's a good combo. Like those GS.

I do, too. I've thought about substituting the G30 with a G19 with the same bullet. The guns are so similar

that it wouldn't be much to get all familiar with. Mostly, I'm just lazy, though and that's why I stuck with the 30.

To the point of stopping power being the determining factor, they will both do what I think I would need so the

caliber wars arguments don't get much attention from me. That pistol's only purpose is to get you to your rifle,

anyway. Besides, I'm too old to be getting to close to a fight. I'll let all you young 'ens do that. :D

I would not try to fix my ammo to the weather in this state. A cold day here is still warm enough that a thin jacket is sufficient more often than not. A big heavy coat is excessive on all but the worst days here.

As I understand it, any cloth can get inside a JHP and cause it to fail to expand. Thick or thin.

You might look into some of the ammo brands that have the hollow point filled with plastic tips or plugs. Those work about the same no matter what they hit.

You could also alternate. That was my choice, year round, to alternate a FMJ and JHP in the mags.

Dunnno what is sold in 45 but a soft lead flat nosed round can be brutal as well.

Edited by Jonnin

Kind of on the same track as Jonnin said, we are in Tennessee, not Montana. Sure, we have some cold days in this state (and maybe more so in some areas than others) but Arctic parkas aren't exactly standard issue in the Southeast U.S.

That said, I do carry my Ruger P95 more often in the winter while my 642 or, sometimes, KT P3AT gets more carry in the summer (with the CZ 82 working in here and there in all times of year.) That has more to do with my clothing, however, than a potential assailant's. I am very warm natured and often can't even stand wearing an unbuttoned shirt over a t-shirt in the warmest part of the year and I don't carry IWB so that means carrying guns that will easily fit in a pocket or hide well OWB under just a single layer of clothing (t-shirt or etc.) In the cooler parts of the year, however, I can generally stand at least an unbuttoned shirt over a tucked in t-shirt which makes at least casual concealment of an OWB Ruger P95 possible.

Carry Hornady Critical Duty and don't worry about it. Meets FBI standards so it's good stuff. A friend of mine gel tested it, first alone, then through 4 layer of clothing, then 4 layer of clothing and a 1/2" thick piece of plywood. Expansion was perfect in every scenario.

• 4 weeks later...

<resurrecting>

Started carrying my G32; picked up some double tap 125 gr. The cavity would be pretty much impossible to clog from the shape of the round, so summer or winter, bathing suit or carhartt coveralls I think they'll do the job.

Edited by Sam1

If one is worried about heavy clothing stopping a round, which is simply silly, a 9mm is a better round to carry than a .45 ACP. A small fast bullet is harder to stop than a large slow bullet. In fact, the .45 ACP is one of the easiest handgun rounds to stop with body armor. And on that note, consider how much technology goes into body armor so it will catch a handgun round. Do you really think some guy's puffy jacket and sweatshirt will stop a bullet? With all due respect to my fellow firearms enthusiasts, there's nothing magical about a .45 ACP nor is there anything magical about your winter coat to make it capable of stopping a 9mm a round (or any handgun round for that matter).

The issue with JHP rounds is that they can clog and not expand as much. I've personally attended test shoots where rounds are fired through various materials, including heavy clothing. I never saw a round clog so much on heavy clothing that it didn't expand a significant amount. The worst for clogging a hollowpoint bullet is drywall or plywood. In those cases, you just end up with the equivalent of a FMJ bullet.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Carry at a minimum of .454 Cassull and you wont have a "under" penitration problem. Kidding aside i'm either carrying a .357 mag 140gr. or .45 Hornaday 230gr.+P's, i chose the +p's wanting that extra 100+fps than a standard 230gr. Maybe it's over penitration but I have it if needed. I seriously doubt that a thick jacket could have a very dramatic affect on the rounds you usually carry, it's not body armor.
[quote name='K191145' timestamp='1353540245' post='849262']
Carry at a minimum of .454 Cassull and you wont have a "under" penitration problem. Kidding aside i'm either carrying a .357 mag 140gr. or .45 Hornaday 230gr.+P's, i chose the +p's wanting that extra 100+fps than a standard 230gr. Maybe it's over penitration but I have it if needed. I seriously doubt that a thick jacket could have a very dramatic affect on the rounds you usually carry, it's not body armor.
[/quote]

Don't think those +p's over-penetrate, a lot fo the ballistics gel tests show they have near identical penetration. The only uneducated guess I could make is that the extra speed cause them to open faster.