Baton training in Nashville, any recommendations?

I am considering carrying a collapsible baton for self defense for those places I cannot carry a firearm legally. TN law states carrying a club\baton for the purpose of going armed is illegal unless the person is trained and certified in the use of said baton by a certified instructor. Has anyone got any recommendations on places to go in Nashville to recieve training and certification?

Edited by Mykltn

The wife and I took our baton training at the Academy of Self Protection, aka Joelton Gun shop.

The look she had on her face as she was flat wailing on the training pad I was holding was a bit scary

Do you remember the cost? Was it a one day class?

Have you considered getting some OC spray and watch some videos online and read up on it yourself. You can carry OC spray just about everywhere but on a airplane and there is a whole lot less liability with it. Even as a police officer I went extended periods of time without carrying a baton. There is so much liability when you use a baton and they are a hassle to carry, and yes, even the collapsable ones.

Have you considered getting some OC spray and watch some videos online and read up on it yourself. You can carry OC spray just about everywhere but on a airplane and there is a whole lot less liability with it. Even as a police officer I went extended periods of time without carrying a baton. There is so much liability when you use a baton and they are a hassle to carry, and yes, even the collapsable ones.

+1 on the OC spray. Having seen batons deployed in real life situations, I'm not a big fan. If you strike in the approved areas, i.e. arms and legs, it tends to piss people off. The effective strikes are to the head area, but you open yourself up to lawsuits, and maybe serious criminal charges depending on how much damage you do.

I find OC spray near idiot-proof (don't point it in your face, or walk thru the cloud you sprayed) and highly effective. And if you make a mistake, its highly unlikely to inflict serious damage.

With all due respect to those who have suggested alternate forms of protection (oc spray), I really wasn't soliciting that type of information. OC spray, for the most part, is really only effective if you know before hand that you are about to be attacked. Where as a baton can be deployed effectively at any point during a confrontation as long as you can reach it. I already have baton training but cannot carry one in TN unless i take a training class to recieve certification per TN law.

As to the issue of legal action that may be taken against me for the use of a baton in self defense, lets be serious there. Most of us carry a gun right? So we all are, or should, be conscious of the legal ramifications we all may face in deploying any type of force in protecting ourselves.

Edited by Mykltn
  • Like 1

Does it have to be a baton specific class? We had a lot of baton stuff in the MCMAP program in the USMC and I have my certificates thats why i ask.

Based on this I'm going to say yes unless your certificate specifically states baton training.

39-17-1308. Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon.

(9) By any person possessing a club/baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club/baton for self-defense which is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs/batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws;

Edited by Mykltn

+1 on the OC spray. Having seen batons deployed in real life situations, I'm not a big fan. If you strike in the approved areas, i.e. arms and legs, it tends to piss people off. The effective strikes are to the head area, but you open yourself up to lawsuits, and maybe serious criminal charges depending on how much damage you do.

I find OC spray near idiot-proof (don't point it in your face, or walk thru the cloud you sprayed) and highly effective. And if you make a mistake, its highly unlikely to inflict serious damage.

The baton class I took also had pepper spray. It is highly effective, as exposure was part of the class. I came in first in the snotzilla competition. Clearest my sinuses had been in years.

Patton, if it's not too personal, what's your blood type. I have always thought reaction or sensitivity to peppers had something to do with that. Mine is O+ and reaction to anything peppers is pretty strong. The thought came from some eat right for your blood type diet book, but could be extended to this as well.

In my Naval training to become a Damage Controlman, we were exposed to various types of chemical spray and required to do essential Damage Control tasks to determine our ability to maintain shipboard stability during emergancies such as fires, enemy engagements and chemical, biological and radiological attacks. Yes, chemical sprays in the face suck but I know first hand that you can still maintain 60 to 80% of you fighting ability and at 6'1" and 235lbs, 80% is a lot to contend with. Now being the big man that I am I loved to take defensive martial arts. I was a big fan of boxing given my size. I also took other training offered on the ship while as sea. Being able to defend yourself comes in handy when you're drunk in a bar in Puerto Rico. So when my 5'1", 130lbs Filipino Kyushu instructor gave two rapid strikes to my femoral nerve (outside of leg just above the knee) with a bamboo baton after I already had him in a choke hold. I dropped instantly to the ground and was unable to recover or sustain any further attack. This taught me two valuable lesson. 1. Stay away from mean Filipinos with sticks. 2. The best defense is one you can deploy even after the fight has begun.

Edited by Mykltn

39-17-1308. Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon.

(9) By any person possessing a club/baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club/baton for self-defense which is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs/batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws;

It was for this very reason that 6 friends and I contact a gentleman that does Monadnock certification for a local Security company and contracted him to host a class for us. The cost was about $75.00 each in 2006.

I like having the legal option. I agree carrying even a quality collapsible baton can be a bit of PIA at first, but, of course, you get used to it.

I also have OC certs and have "ridden" the taser.

It's all about options along the use of force continuum.

I do wish there was a way to legally carry a sap, not necessarily a blackjack, but a flat sap. I believe Georgia and Florida allow them. In an FUT (Messed Up Tangle) they are an excellent choice.

Just my unsolicited and ever devaluing $.02 worth.

• Like 1

Prag, KY is the same. They issue a Concealed Deadly Weapons permit which allows the following.

Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing

death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.

Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting

knife.

Billy, nightstick, or club.

Blackjack or slapjack.

Nunchaku karate sticks.

Shiriken or death star.

Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard

material.

• Like 1