Baton training in Nashville, any recommendations?

...I do wish there was a way to legally carry a sap, not necessarily a blackjack, but a flat sap.

Why wouldn't impact certification cover that?

It's defined as a "club". Statute says certification "By any person possessing a club/baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club/baton..."

- OS

Patton, if it's not too personal, what's your blood type. I have always thought reaction or sensitivity to peppers had something to do with that. Mine is O+ and reaction to anything peppers is pretty strong. The thought came from some eat right for your blood type diet book, but could be extended to this as well.

I am O positive as well. I have a friend that is "ginger" for lack of better terms and he has as bad or worse reaction than I do. He swears his light skin has everything to do with it.

At least he was allowed to close his eyes. Anyway, a lot of people are hardly even affected by OC spray. Its really not bad. It just sucked, thats all. I functioned just fine, it was just difficult to see.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk 2

We had a guy crying before he even got sprayed. This guy was scared sh*tless. We held him down to spray him because he was going nuts. He gets a shot to the forehead and looks around, stops crying and starts laughing. He runs the course kicking the piss out of all of us and leaves without even washing it off. He was completely unaffected. One lucky guy to be that 1 in 100 to have no reaction.

My old chief tells a story of using a baton on a guy for about 5 minutes with little to no effect. The guy even refused to go to the hospital afterwards.

Edited by Patton
  • Like 1

Why wouldn't impact certification cover that?

It's defined as a "club". Statute says certification "By any person possessing a club/baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club/baton..."

- OS

I hope it does my Friend, because I've operated off of that assumption for several years now. I carry a Boston Leather 4 ply junior...But it hasn't been challenged.

I keep a copy of the statute in my wallet, Just In Case. And I adhere to the "Stupid Rule"...I don't go to stupid places, with stupid people, or do stupid things...

I just wish we had better wording...much as to the effect that Mykltn sited for KY, or Florida's "Weapons" permit which I carried for about 10 years prior to my TN permit.

I adhere to the "Stupid Rule"...I don't go to stupid places, with stupid people, or do stupid things...

I adhere to the same rule. Unfortunatly the Bad Guys don't and thats why the only place I've ener been mugged and had a gun pointed at me was in Dragon park one block from Vanderbuilt University. As the cop who took my report said "criminals tend to rob people who have money and folks around Vandy tend to have money".

It was for this very reason that 6 friends and I contact a gentleman that does Monadnock certification for a local Security company and contracted him to host a class for us. The cost was about $75.00 each in 2006.

I like having the legal option. I agree carrying even a quality collapsible baton can be a bit of PIA at first, but, of course, you get used to it.

I also have OC certs and have "ridden" the taser.

It's all about options along the use of force continuum.

I do wish there was a way to legally carry a sap, not necessarily a blackjack, but a flat sap. I believe Georgia and Florida allow them. In an FUT (Messed Up Tangle) they are an excellent choice.

Just my unsolicited and ever devaluing $.02 worth.

Prag, if that class was in March of 2006 at a Judo dojo off of Alcoa Hwy then I was there.

Unfortunately since my arm is still injured, I cannot take the baton class at Joelton. Unless I can find a private instructor I'm SOL. Its funny, the reason I wish to carry a baton is I am not able to use both arms to defend myself and it is that inability to use both arms that prevents my from getting baton certified. Lol

Unfortunately since my arm is still injured, I cannot take the baton class at Joelton. Unless I can find a private instructor I'm SOL. Its funny, the reason I wish to carry a baton is I am not able to use both arms to defend myself and it is that inability to use both arms that prevents my from getting baton certified. Lol

That is a Catch 22 Mykltn.

I realize that I'm over in Knoxville and so is the guy that taught our class... so it's a bit of a drive, but If you want his contact info just PM me.

I don't know if that'll work for you or not.

Good Luck Sir.

• 1 month later...
Guest hifiguy
Check with eastnashvillemartialarts.com for baton training. My understanding is that he is a certified baton trainer and has experience with philipino stick fighting as well.
  • 4 weeks later...