Purify With Bleach

Guest brentt

Alot of you know you can purify water with Bleach . I was getting various info from different sites to compile a sheet I could print and have some interesting tips/facts along with the formulas so I could be sure to have the proper doses. I thought I would share it with you guys. Please feel free to copy and paste it to word and print a copy to put with your emergency goods or just tape it inside a cabinet.

WATER PURIFICATION

You must be 21 to drink.

How simple is that? It is a simple reminder that you need 2 drops of bleach per 1 liter or quart of water – hence 21.

Household bleach is relatively harmless. The smell of chlorine is not bad: it indicates that water is treated and germ free. Once treated and disinfected, the chlorine smell will go away in a few days.

Bleach effectively kills bacteria and viruses, stops smells and then breaks down. It's effective germ killing alkaline property is completely neutralized very quickly. It does not stay chemically active in tanks for more than a few days. Most germs require sunlight to grow. Store water in the dark.

If water is relatively clear: but has a noticeable smell of chlorine: it is drinkable, disinfected, and harmless. Humans need 2 quarts per day.

COMMENTS: It should be noted that fish, mosquitoes, algae, etc. can not - and do not live - in poisonous water. Given the choice between two still ponds in the wild: one with mosquitos, or algae growing in it -- and another near-by it, which may be seemingly clear - I would prefer to drink the water that has the organic life growing in it. The other standing water, even though it appears clear - is obviously unusable or undesirable to other living organisms and therefore it may be poisonous.

First let water stand until particles settle. Filter the particles if necessary with layers of cloth, coffee filters, or fine paper towels. Pour the clear water into an uncontaminated container and add Regular Clorox Bleach per the below indicated ratio. Mix well. Wait 30 min. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat dose. Wait 15 min. Sniff again. Keep an eyedropper taped to your emergency bottle of Clorox Bleach, since purifying small amounts of water requires only a few drops. Bleach must be fresh for best use and results.

Don't pour purified water into contaminated containers. Sanitize water jugs first.

Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification

2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water

8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water

1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water

If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.

Only use Regular Clorox Bleach (not Fresh Scent or Lemon Fresh). To insure that Clorox Bleach is at its full strength, rotate or replace your storage bottle minimally every three months. To sanitize containers and utensils, mix 1 tablespoon Regular Clorox Bleach with one gallon of water. Always wash and rinse items first, then let each item soak in Clorox Bleach Sanitizing Solution for 2 minutes. Drain and air dry.

Don’t Forget the Threads If you are using a bottle with a threaded/screw-on cap, don’t forget to unscrew the cap a bit and slosh some of the chlorine treated water into the threads. Otherwise, the water trapped in these threads could contaminate your water all over again.

Take care when consuming. Once the water in a container has been purified, open and close the container carefully. Don't touch the inside or the rim with your fingers, or else the water could become contaminated. If you're going to drink some, but not all of the water, don't drink directly from the container. Pour it into another container and drink from that. Contact with your lips and mouth can contaminate water that's going to be stored. If you don't drink the water immediately, write the date on the bottle. Store it in a cool, dark place for up to six months.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another way to remove harmful parasites and bacteria is through the use of UV. The sun produces UV and it can be used to sanitize drinking water. First filter to remove turbidity then place the water into a clear bottle, plastic or glass, and place in the sun for a day. It will remove all harmful organisms.

It may not be as quick but it is just as effective.

Dolomite

Bleach is just liquid chlorine. Talk to anyone that owns a chlorine pool and you know you have to keep adding chlorine tabs in it otherwise algae will crop up in a matter of a few days. This is because as mentioned in the article, chlorine breaks down quickly - it is a fairly unstable compound when in water (as the stabilizer is separated from it). The sun also increases the rate in which is degraded.

I would have a hard time drinking the water 15 minutes after adding it as wel, but I wouldn't have much of a problem letting it sit in the sun an afternoon with the cap off the bottle/jug of water to let it vent. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone, the sun heats it and the chlorine helps as well. Given the choice between doing this and drinking iodine purified water, I would probably take this. I hate the taste of iodine.

Our well at out campground is chlorinated with bleach. There is a 450 gallon water tank and next to it is a ten gallon tank of bleach with a small pump. It's dosed into the water tank at 3 ppm. Everyone's campers are fed from the well. Probably about 25 or so. It is used mostly for showers but is is drinkable and I have done so. My father is head of a local water plant so he was voted by the campground to maintain the well. Once a month he has to send in samples to the state. Although Dolomite's way is more favorable by most, I wouldn't have a problem at all doing either. Honestly, if you were to see everything that water goes through at the plant, you might not wanna drink tap either lol but it's perfectly safe. At least in one town I know of......

I know this is supposed to be safe, but I would have a hard time drinking even a drop of bleach.

It's harmless in such small doses. My parent's house had a well when I was growing up and they had (still do as a backup) and automated system that automatically added bleach to all the water coming into the house. Never noticed the smell until I moved away and came back for visits.

• 3 months later...
Guest polishprepper
Has anyone thought of an ozone generator for purifying water? Its very caustic kills everything it touches and almost immediately dissipates.....the only reason I brought this up is I've used it on a large scale almost a 500 gallon tank.....works great just need Teflon tubing to withstand the ozone....the water tank doesn't seem to be bothered by it though.....also helps if the tank is black or not transparent
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Springfield1911guy

All of these gadgets are great but, what about good old boiling? The US Army manual on survival says, anything boiled for at least one minute (full boil) will kill ANYTHING.

You might want to filter out any particles with cloth or coffee filters first ,but, that's all it takes.

As a good long term storage possibility, I'll throw out another option.  We build these water filters in Haiti for a couple different orphanages.  It filters down to like .5 microns, I believe.  I have one stored away, just in case, easy to build, lasts for about six months and costs about 30 bucks from cheaper than dirt.(And I like this guy in the video!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efO2X17M1Bk

Edited by Fire/hunting guy
Store bought bleach has a shelf life. Buy hth pool shock in 5 pounds bags, use the pool shock to make bleach. Then use that bleach to purify your water. One 5 pound bag of pool shock will make enough bleach to purify 128,000 gallons of water. Easier to store and you can barter with the pool shock while in powder form. Edited by 101

Store bought bleach has a shelf life. Buy hth pool shock in 5 pounds bags, use the pool shock to make bleach. Then use that bleach to purify your water. One 5 pound bag of pool shock will make enough bleach to purify 128,000 gallons of water. Easier to store and you can barter with the pool shock while in powder form.

How do you make bleach out of HTH? Thats probably a great idea, btw.

Good idea. I have a pool so stocking up on a lil extra shock wont hurt. How long does it last in powder form? What would the water/powder ratio be in order to be consistant with bleach? because all my formulas and gear is set up for bleach treatments. 

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals/Pool-Shock-and-Super-Chlorinating-Chemicals/HTH-Super-Shock-N-Swim/

Pool shock in powder form does not have a shelf life.  It will last forever or until it is added to water then becomes bleach.

BUT:  Make sure the active ingredient is Calcium Hypochlorite.  The HTH Super shock 'n swim listed in the link above is good shock for making bleach.  52% Calcium Hypochlorite, 48% Inert ingredients. 

Some pool shock products do not have Calcium Hypochlorite, beware.

To make bleach from pool shock:

Add 1 heaping teaspoon of pool shock to 2 gallons of water (strained for large debris and dirt).  This will make 2 gallons of bleach.

To use bleach to purify water:

Strain for particulates first.

Add 1 part bleach to 100 parts water (intended to drink).  16 oz. of bleach to 12 1/2 gallons (1600 oz) of water.  This part is really up to you, you can purify water in whatever amount of water you want after you have already made bleach.

Let the drinking water sit after adding bleach for 4-5 hours uncovered and most of the bleach will evaporate out of the water.  To finish getting rid of the bleach smell when ready to drink simply transfer the water back and forth between two different containers to speed up bleach evaporation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals/Pool-Shock-and-Super-Chlorinating-Chemicals/HTH-Super-Shock-N-Swim/

Pool shock in powder form does not have a shelf life.  It will last forever or until it is added to water then becomes bleach.

BUT:  Make sure the active ingredient is Calcium Hypochlorite.  The HTH Super shock 'n swim listed in the link above is good shock for making bleach.  52% Calcium Hypochlorite, 48% Inert ingredients. 

Some pool shock products do not have Calcium Hypochlorite, beware.

To make bleach from pool shock:

Add 1 heaping teaspoon of pool shock to 2 gallons of water (strained for large debris and dirt).  This will make 2 gallons of bleach.

To use bleach to purify water:

Strain for particulates first.

Add 1 part bleach to 100 parts water (intended to drink).  16 oz. of bleach to 12 1/2 gallons (1600 oz) of water.  This part is really up to you, you can purify water in whatever amount of water you want after you have already made bleach.

Let the drinking water sit after adding bleach for 4-5 hours uncovered and most of the bleach will evaporate out of the water.  To finish getting rid of the bleach smell when ready to drink simply transfer the water back and forth between two different containers to speed up bleach evaporation.

Hey 101, I went to wally world today to buy some of this, they don't carry HTH brand, and the brand they did carry wasn't calcium hypochlorite, it was Ditriethyl something other.  Is there any stores that may carry this brand?

Not sure where to buy HTH brand locally. I ordered mine and had it delivered. The ingredients is the important part.

Might be found at a dedicated pool store.

I ordered two boxes of the 5-1lbs. bags and it cost like 55 bucks with shipping if I remember right.
  • 4 weeks later...

it was Ditriethyl something other. 

It was more than likely sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione (sodium dichoroisocyanurate).  I believe some people have used this for water purification, but don't quote me on it.

In regards to powder bleach, HTH brand is not important at all. As long as it is calcium hypochlorite, you should be fine. You can buy it all over the place online. If you do that I would recommend you buy it from a reputable source, not necessarily the cheapest. Unless you are titrating the material to test the strength, you don't really know what you are getting.

As far as sodium hypochlorite's shelf life, yes, it is around 5-6 months from the manufacturing date for maintaining 6% strength (what you would buy in the grocery store). However, that doesn't mean that it is useless. It can still be used to purify water; it may just take a little more. I would also add that you want to keep you bleach free from contaminants as they will only degrade the bleach quicker.

If in doubt, you can also titrate the strength of your bleach using potassium iodide, acetic acid (vinegar), and some standardized sodium thiosulfate (preferably 0.1N).