Help which VEPR to get lol

DannyP

Hey guys, i'm going to purchase one of these VEPRs in 308 this weekend. They have a bunch of different options and just wanted to hear everyones opinions on which configuration to get. First they have the Verson 1 and Version 2. Each come in either 16.5" barrel or 20".

The version one is setup like a saiga, version 2 differs with an integrated gasblock and front sight post and 100-300 meter flip rear sight and accepts high capacity magazines outta the box. (i'm pretty much set on the version 2)

My question is the barrel length, since its going to be a 308 i've heard mixed reviews on performance. Guys have told me to get nothing shorter than a 18" barrel, if so it will affect the performance of the rifle. I'm not an expert so wanted some knowledgable input. On the flip side of that, their are many combat rifle in 308 with 16" and shorter barrels. I will be using it as a range gun/hunting rifle.

Thanks in advance for the input.

I have a SCAR 17S with the 16 inch barrel. Shooting 175SMK's over 45.5 grains of 846, I am getting 2600FPS. I have gotten around 2650 with 168gr loads over 46 varget. I don't know how much more you would get with a 20" barrel, maybe 150-200fps? The scar has a chromed lined barrel and 4R rifling, so I don't know if that helps get more velocity or not, but a 16 inch barrel gives respectable performance. I think an 18" could be a sweet spot for handiness and velocity, however.

Guest The Dude

I dont think you'll have a noticable gain. Id go with the 16" anyday. These rifles are already on the heavy side, and should do just fine the way they are. Wise choice on the Vepr.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was working at TGI when we were importing the VEPRs hot and heavy. I bought a 16" v2. I put US made AK buttstock and pistol grip and fore end on it. I love it.
Call SGM Tactical in Maryville, Tn and see if they have anymore. They can probably put you on the right track for one.

I like the 20" barreled version. Just prefer the 16" more.

18-20" is generally thought of as the optimum barrel length for the .308 which is probably why you are hearing what you are.

i would say either will be fine for a hunting rifle if distance is kept reasonable. beyond that, mission dictates equipment. if you want something to be slightly easier to shoot accurately, get the longer heavier one, if you want short and handy, then get the short one.

a 16" with a folding stock would be a nice handy rifle...

viscera, that's a cool setup that you drew up.   I could see one of those in my herd... maybe two!

Not just to be different but I feel there is a huge difference in barrel length.  Like said earlier, it all boils down to your intended setup and desired range.  By all means, the red dot above is well suited for 100-150 yards and you are spot on with quick aim.  One of my favorite targets is dancing 2 liter bottles at a hundred with a red dotted 16 inch SOCOM.  However, a 308 short barrel's muzzle blast is sometimes pretty intense if you get next to a tree or something.  Your buds don't care for that when next to you either.  Russian ammo has faster powder that seems to help that somewhat, in my opinion.

For hunting with a 308 out to 300 yards, I am a firm believer in 20 inch or longer because the extra velocity makes a much flatter trajectory.   The 150 grainers average around 2800-2850 in a 20-22 inch.  That's 200 fps more than a 16 inch which is a lot when considering ethical hold over and terminal velocity on your whitetail.  In my book, pipeline and cutover hunting needs the longer barrel.  That said, my Scout's 18 inch barrel is very accurate and does not trade off a lot of velocity so it is the best compromise in handiness and getting the most out of the 308. 

Most of the velocity is lost is between 16 and 18 and that's why I tend to hunt with longer tubes, 'cept for dang coyotes.  Have to be quick on those.  Anyways, that's my two cents to stir things up.  Just wanted to share.

viscera, that's a cool setup that you drew up.   I could see one of those in my herd... maybe two!

Not just to be different but I feel there is a huge difference in barrel length.  Like said earlier, it all boils down to your intended setup and desired range.  By all means, the red dot above is well suited for 100-150 yards and you are spot on with quick aim.  One of my favorite targets is dancing 2 liter bottles at a hundred with a red dotted 16 inch SOCOM.  However, a 308 short barrel's muzzle blast is sometimes pretty intense if you get next to a tree or something.  Your buds don't care for that when next to you either.  Russian ammo has faster powder that seems to help that somewhat, in my opinion.

For hunting with a 308 out to 300 yards, I am a firm believer in 20 inch or longer because the extra velocity makes a much flatter trajectory.   The 150 grainers average around 2800-2850 in a 20-22 inch.  That's 200 fps more than a 16 inch which is a lot when considering ethical hold over and terminal velocity on your whitetail.  In my book, pipeline and cutover hunting needs the longer barrel.  That said, my Scout's 18 inch barrel is very accurate and does not trade off a lot of velocity so it is the best compromise in handiness and getting the most out of the 308. 

Most of the velocity is lost is between 16 and 18 and that's why I tend to hunt with longer tubes, 'cept for dang coyotes.  Have to be quick on those.  Anyways, that's my two cents to stir things up.  Just wanted to share.

Yeah, if you were going after a DRM type setup then yeah 20 inch barrel, PRS stock, longer handguard with better bipod mounting options, and the scope of your choice instead of the red dot.  Would still do the integrated sights setup though.  Most of the items that would turn it from a DRM to battle rifle are all modular and easy to change out as your heart desires.

Do they sell an 18 inch or would you have to get 20 and get it cut and recrowned?

Edited by viscero
Got the 7.62x54r with 20" integrated sights and barrel from Center Fire Systems. Changed out the very ugly wood, put on an AK ATI 6 position stock with recoil pad, new aluminum forearm, and nice UTG side mount with Nikon scope. Oh do I absolutely like this weapon! $0.22 per round averaged between some surplus 147g FMJ and 203g SP bullets for hunting! I had fun building / upgrading it, and all my friends want to shoot it. Just saying...
  • Like 2

Got the 7.62x54r with 20" integrated sights and barrel from Center Fire Systems. Changed out the very ugly wood, put on an AK ATI 6 position stock with recoil pad, new aluminum forearm, and nice UTG side mount with Nikon scope. Oh do I absolutely like this weapon! $0.22 per round averaged between some surplus 147g FMJ and 203g SP bullets for hunting! I had fun building / upgrading it, and all my friends want to shoot it. Just saying...

Sounds good, I'm going for the 16" version myself. Just wondering if you've had any feeding issues with the rimmed cartridges? I know some folks have had issues with the standard box magazine on the Mosin-- I've never had issues personally, but then again I use stripper clips to load my mosin and I load the strippers with the rims alternating.

......Do they sell an 18 inch or would you have to get 20 and get it cut and recrowned?

I knew there was more than the 16.5 and 20 but there's no 18, you'd have to cut and recrown.  The other lengths are longer, a 23 and 27.5 to really get the best burn out of the 308.  My 26 inch SSG has a totally different report than my 16 inch SOCOM.  No comparison.  Here's a write-up from back in January of this year but it's about the longer barreled VEPR.  That short VEPR looks wicked too.

Wow at the long one and a Bullpup!!   That platform could get as deep as my M1A/M14s, easily.

Edited by SmokyBaer

Here's an actual conversion that probably better convey's what I had in my head for a battle rifle version:

20jn9z.jpg

Yeah, for sure.  I already own the 23" 7.62x54r and will ultimately end up a draganov look-alike.  I do like what the owner of RS Regulate did with his x54r for a DMR build:

529842_511239738913082_226969907_n.jpg

I knew there was more than the 16.5 and 20 but there's no 18, you'd have to cut and recrown.  The other lengths are longer, a 23 and 27.5 to really get the best burn out of the 308.  My 26 inch SSG has a totally different report than my 16 inch SOCOM.  No comparison.  Here's a write-up from back in January of this year but it's about the longer barreled VEPR.  That short VEPR looks wicked too.

Wow at the long one and a Bullpup!!   That platform could get as deep as my M1A/M14s, easily.

NO WAY, I'm laying my head on the top cover to shoot but that bullpup is SWEET!

Yeah, for sure.  I already own the 23" 7.62x54r and will ultimately end up a draganov look-alike.  I do like what the owner of RS Regulate did with his x54r for a DMR build:

529842_511239738913082_226969907_n.jpg

That is sweet. I'm really toying with the idea of a x54r with an Iron Woods Design Draganov setup.

shapeimage_23.png