bond or handgun carry liability insurance?

Guest shellbell

Guest shellbell

I was wondering what the opinion was on HCP holders having a bond or handgun carry liability insurance?

at class we were told since after 1996 we weren't required to have it but the instructor did mention it. ... or encouraged it?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umbrellas usually start at 1 million and go up from there. Agreed about watching the language on the policy. They're often just add ins to your homeowners or renters policy so the restrictions may be listed in that policy. They kick in after the homeowner policy limits are reached.

Umbrellas usually start at 1 million and go up from there. Agreed about watching the language on the policy. They're often just add ins to your homeowners or renters policy so the restrictions may be listed in that policy. They kick in after the homeowner policy limits are reached.

Yeah, there will be stuff like you are not covered if you are off your property and stuff like that. The good thing is that you can not be sued if you shoot in self defense. Now, I don't believe that applies if you miss your target and hit someone/something else.

There may be stuff about that. Some homeowners policies have a general liability clause that applies to all of your personal activities (but not if you're running a business) regardless of location. You have to read the policy well to know for sure. If you have questions, talk to your agent and let them know why you want the coverage. They can best advise on what to get.

It's highly likely that you're NOT covered under either an umbrella (if you have one) or your home owners policy. Defending yourself by shooting someone is considered an intentional act and excluded from normal liability coverage. The NRA offers handgun liability coverage but I understand that it's high and there are a lot of exceptions (one being that it must be a "good shoot"; i.e. you're not criminally convicted).

I also recommend that you talk with your insurance agent.

Edited by mcrichar
  • 3 weeks later...

I carry Defense Shield provided through the USCCA; I'm happy that I do and would recommend it or a similar product to everyone who carries.

We do have some pretty good laws in TN to protect a shooter when the shooting is justified and as I was just reminded a couple of days ago, a new law just recently went into effect in TN that even makes things better (in a nutshell, if you face charges/are sued and found innocent/not liable the loser pays your attorney fees - someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

That said, should you ever be involved in a SD shooting you had better be prepared to shell out some up-front money (and likely some substantial up-front money) for legal fees, etc.

Now, your homeowners umbrella policy may or may not fill that gap but even if it does it may only do so after the fact...at the very least, be sure you KNOW before you need it and find out the hard way.

I am not a salespeson for USCCA but I think it's a good product...it's not the only product out there so check around. Bottom line is, I think this kind of coverage is a VERY good thing to have.

Just ask your agent about an umbrella policy and see what their policy states. And then never tell anyone that you have the policy... :cool:

This, but be very, very specific. If you ask, "Does this policy cover me if I shoot someone" is not specific enough. As someone else already stated, many policies cover negligence and accidents, but not intentional acts.

... The good thing is that you can not be sued if you shoot in self defense....

.....We do have some pretty good laws in TN to protect a shooter when the shooting is justified and as I was just reminded a couple of days ago, a new law just recently went into effect in TN that even makes things better (in a nutshell, if you face charges/are sued and found innocent/not liable the loser pays your attorney fees - someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Just rehashed in last few days, attorneys input therein also:

http://www.tngunowne...fense-shooting/

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
...The good thing is that you can not be sued if you shoot in self defense...

You absolutely can be sued; depending on 10,000 factors such a suit may or may not get very far and if the shooting was justified the SD shooter should eventually prevail but don't kid yourself that you may not go through hell in the meantime and put out some considerable $$$ in the process.

I am not a salesperson for USCCA but I think it's a good product...it's not the only product out there so check around. Bottom line is, I think this kind of coverage is a VERY good thing to have.

This ^^^

Umbrella coverage is vague & has a lot of fine print.

Sent from iPad in the woods.