1911 VS well...anything else?

Guest HillyKarma

Guest HillyKarma

I'm a big fan of the 1911 design, and I've been raised on the.45, but I wanted to get the community's input on what would be an acceptable substitute for CC (when I get my liscense). Also, is you're aware of any 1911s with internal tolerences that aren't so tight, like most 1911s, I'd really like to know!

I love 1911's, and own a couple. One is an A1 government, and the other is an officer size, which is good for carry. I also love .45 ACP, and reload for it. With all that said, I usually carry a Glock 36.

Lots of good 1911 brands in all price ranges. I may carry one of mine if I'm in the mood, but always find myself grabbing the Glock because of reduced weight and complexity. I have no evidence that my Glock is more reliable since I got my 1911 tuned, but there is an additional feeling of confidence with the Glock.

1911 vs well.....anything else?...................Didn't know there was anything else. As with trucks, boats, women ect. Everyone has their own preference. I fell the .45 is tops in the carry pistol category. I'm sure some people concur and some will not. A lot of people would not own anything Glock. If you feel comfortable with the 1911 platform then thats the one you should go with.

• Like 1

There are lots a great pistols out there that could be just as good or even better. I happen to love the 1911, but I don't consider it to be the be all, end all. I also own a Glock that I love. I had a Browning Hi-Power that was a fantastic pistol until it was stolen in a break-in. I'd love to have another!!! I also love Colt revolvers and would not in the least feel undergunned with one. Matter of fact, the pistol I carry the most is a Second Generation Colt Agent .38spl.

Apples, Oranges an Applications. 1911’s don’t have competition except from other 1911’s.

Don’t buy one without shooting one and spending some time handling it to see if that’s what you want.

Why would you want something with “Loose†tolerances or fit? That equates to inaccuracies in any semi-auto handgun. 1911’s can’t be thrown down in the mud or frozen in a bucket of water and still function properly. If you drag your gun around on a rope or store it in a bucket of water or sand; buy a Tupperware gun. biggrin.gif

As all of us have found it’s not a choice between 1911’s and Tupperware guns; you have to have both. If your budget right now will only allow for one and you need a carry gun; go with the Tupperware.

For Tupperware check out the Smith & Wesson M&P line. They have any size and caliber you want.

• Like 1
Why would you want something with “Loose†tolerances or fit? That equates to inaccuracies in any semi-auto handgun. 1911’s can’t be thrown down in the mud or frozen in a bucket of water and still function properly. If you drag your gun around on a rope or store it in a bucket of water or sand;

They can, if kept to the "Loose" tolerances of JMB's original design. If you start tightening them up to shoot bullseyes at 100 yards, they won't. If you want it for defense, you WANT loose. Defense or target is the real question.

They can, if kept to the "Loose" tolerances of JMB's original design. If you start tightening them up to shoot bullseyes at 100 yards, they won't. If you want it for defense, you WANT loose. Defense or target is the real question.

I don’t want a POS for a self-defense gun or a target gun. I might want a POS for a cheap plinker.

(I wouldn’t because I’m a gun snob, but I can see where some might. biggrin.gif)

I don’t want a POS for a self-defense gun or a target gun. I might want a POS for a cheap plinker.

(I wouldn’t because I’m a gun snob, but I can see where some might. biggrin.gif)

So, you believe JMB designed a POS that has lasted 100 years, that more companies manufacture than ever.

Wow.

How's cousin Kwik? ;)

• Like 1

So, you believe JMB designed a POS that has lasted 100 years, that more companies manufacture than ever.

Wow.

How's cousin Kwik? ;)

How did we get to personal insults from what I said?

I’m sorry if you were in some way insulted or thought I was calling all 1911’s POS. I’m a 1911 fan and that was not my intention.

Guest HillyKarma

1911 vs well.....anything else?...................Didn't know there was anything else. As with trucks, boats, women ect. Everyone has their own preference. I fell the .45 is tops in the carry pistol category. I'm sure some people concur and some will not. A lot of people would not own anything Glock. If you feel comfortable with the 1911 platform then thats the one you should go with.

Yeah, I actually don't mind Glocks in the least! I know there seems to be a divide of some sort, but hey, the Austrians can make a damned good firearm IMO.

Guest HillyKarma

I think this video needs to reappear in this thread. :):

- OS

I love james Yeager, but I know what I like. Yes, he is an amazing source of information and offers a great point of view, but again, I know what I like. A Glock 30 sounds pretty nice though. I'll look into seeing if I can demo one.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually agree writhe James Yeager! well except for the Glock bit.

I well now go take a very long shower.

Btw - the M&P.45 is an awesome alternative.

He said Glocks always work. Lots of truth there. The M&P45 is great. I haven't shot one of the compacts, but the full size is a real nice shooter.