1911 VS well...anything else?

Guest HillyKarma

They are carry guns so I don’t want to mess with it, I’ll just get it next time I cycle through them. But I thought I read you can’t add it?

Smith and Wesson won't do it because the serial number is in their database as one without. The short answer is replace the sear block, but I'm still guessing you can just add the parts to the block. It would take a little digging.

Apples, Oranges an Applications. 1911’s don’t have competition except from other 1911’s.

Don’t buy one without shooting one and spending some time handling it to see if that’s what you want.

Why would you want something with “Loose†tolerances or fit? That equates to inaccuracies in any semi-auto handgun. 1911’s can’t be thrown down in the mud or frozen in a bucket of water and still function properly. If you drag your gun around on a rope or store it in a bucket of water or sand; buy a Tupperware gun. biggrin.gif

As all of us have found it’s not a choice between 1911’s and Tupperware guns; you have to have both. If your budget right now will only allow for one and you need a carry gun; go with the Tupperware.

For Tupperware check out the Smith & Wesson M&P line. They have any size and caliber you want.

ummmmmm...what if you pee on it to dethaw it first... i think it would do just fine...there are plenty of soldiers carrying 1911's in the sand box right now... and all the PSD guys carry glocks ( well i should say most ) and some of the other NATO forces carry glocks... i personally own both... i carry a glock 27... but still love the 1911...

Guest BungieCord

1) Most Glocks run as well out of the box as the best tuned 1911s.

2) All Glocks work exactly the same. If you're been read on to the G17 and you ever have occasion to pickup a G19, G20, G21, G22, G23, G24, G26, G27, G29, G30, G31, G32, G33, G34, G35, G36, G37, G38 or G39, you'll find all the controls to be right where you expected them to be.

Speaking to the Tactical Tupperware issue, S&W tried themselves to build Glocks but Glock sued and put a stop to that silliness. So before you buy the S&W, consider that that design was their second choice.

Speaking to the Tactical Tupperware issue, S&W tried themselves to build Glocks but Glock sued and put a stop to that silliness. So before you buy the S&W, consider that that design was their second choice.

The Sigma was the gun Glock sued them over and that was 18 years ago. It was a nuisance case by Glock and was settled out of court.

As anyone that has shot an M&P can tell you; it’s no Sigma or Glock. As a matter of fact I’m guessing that right now Glock is wishing they had left S&W alone about the Sigma. biggrin.gif

• Like 1

S&W should have a big share of the LE market. They practically owned it for decades. No doubt that the M&P line fits that application real well. I think they were way too slow coming to the table.

I've been a S&W guy for over 30 years. Right now, my preference between the two plastic offerings is Glock. Wasn't a scientific choice. Just wound up with 3 Glocks, and the M&P is gone. I would be happy with either one.

• Moderators
They are carry guns so I don’t want to mess with it, I’ll just get it next time I cycle through them. But I thought I read you can’t add it?

The mag disconnect can be added to the sear block. It would take a couple dollars in parts and about 15 minutes, maybe a few more depending on how fat your fingers are.

I've shared this story before but perhaps it's worth sharing again.

I've owned many 1911s and still do...I love them...I used to carry one, however...

in the Spring of 2011 I took the two day "Fighting Pistol" course from Tactical Response...by lunch time the first day my very pretty very expensive 1911 that I carried almost exclusively was choking VERY badly...it was having a malfunction with about every other shot. I shifted to a much more expensive 1911 and finished the rest of the first day and all of the second day with no problems. However, shortly after that I started carrying a G31 (or sometimes a G20 or G21).

Given that, per FBI stats, most civilian defensive gun fights last three shots and three seconds and 3 yards; most any decent, functioning 1911 including the one that failed me would probably get the job done. After all, my original gun for the course didn't start to fail until after about two solid hours of many, many rounds. But, I decided I could not longer, in good conscious, trust my life to one and shortly after that class, started carrying a Glock (I'm not saying that a Glock is the only alternative but it's the brand I've settled on).

I've had a occasional (very occasional) malfunction with a Glock but none of the Glocks I own or have owned have ever given me any qualms about taking them into even a protracted gun battle should I ever unfortunate to have to be in one. Taking that into consideration along with the extract capacity and I doubt I'll ever go back to carrying a 1911 again; at least not very often...I still love my 1911s though! :)

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Robert, I concur completely. I honestly can't tell you what draws me to the 1911 other than nostalgia and just the feel of one in my hand. My brain tells me there are far better choices for a defensive handgun, and therefore every day I carry one of those far better choices instead of a 1911. However my heart tells me that the 1911 has history... a pedigree... and is as American as baseball and apple pie, so I constantly lust for others to add to my collection. It's not like I'd carry another even if I buy it, but something draws me back to them time and time again.

Heavy, short on capacity, and not necessarily the most tolerant of neglect. A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age, perhaps. Love me some 1911's.

• Like 3
Guest HillyKarma

Robert, I concur completely. I honestly can't tell you what draws me to the 1911 other than nostalgia and just the feel of one in my hand. My brain tells me there are far better choices for a defensive handgun, and therefore every day I carry one of those far better choices instead of a 1911. However my heart tells me that the 1911 has history... a pedigree... and is as American as baseball and apple pie, so I constantly lust for others to add to my collection. It's not like I'd carry another even if I buy it, but something draws me back to them time and time again.

Heavy, short on capacity, and not necessarily the most tolerant of neglect. A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age, perhaps. Love me some 1911's.

Dang it...I admit defeat...looks like I'm in the market for a new range pistol :)

Academy Sports is opening soon, and I'm sure their ammo is gonna be super cheap for a while.