Old Shotgun Question

I have a really old Savage Arms 20 ga shotgun that belong to my dad. He gave it to me about a year or so before he died, which was around 2003. He told me that the last time he shot it sometime in the mid 1990s that it would break down after the shot. I took it to the range on Thursday and sure enough 3 out of 4 times I shot it the barrel would unlock and partially kick the shell out.

Any idea what would cause this? Weak or bad locking mechanism?

Any idea how much it would cost to fix? I don't plan on shooting it alot since it was my dad's gun, but I would like to take it out on occasion to the range since my 6 year old son has expressed interest in shooting it when he gets bigger.

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you mean pump action and not break action!

Anyway, it's pretty common for some pump shotties to kick partially open after a shot, especially with heavy loads. Especially if you are holding back on the stock, which is of course natural and proper way to do it to get it firmly against shoulder.

As long as you can't open breech while pulling back before you pull the trigger, it's safe enough AFAIK. Don't know the cure, unless it would be replacing worn slide bars (or whatever you call them) on the forestock or something, though.

But some folks report their brand new Mossberg pumps doing this, so it may not be worn parts at all, but just inherent nature for that gun.

Better than some of the current runs of 870's, where you can't hardly get the damn hull out at all after firing some rounds. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

OS, thanks for the reply.

It is not a pump action. It has a lever on the right side just below the hammer that you push down and it clicks and the barrel will drop forward allowing the shell to eject out toward you. When you pull the trigger the barrel drops (breaks down) forward just a little and then when you pull it down further the shell will eject.

I'll try to get a picture of it on here when I get back home..I'm on the road currently.

Thanks again!

OS, thanks for the reply.

It is not a pump action. It has a lever on the right side just below the hammer that you push down and it clicks and the barrel will drop forward allowing the shell to eject out toward you. When you pull the trigger the barrel drops (breaks down) forward just a little and then when you pull it down further the shell will eject.

I'll try to get a picture of it on here when I get back home..I'm on the road currently.

Thanks again!

Oh, break action -- listen, forget everything I said about the pump. Not sure that baby is safe to shoot. Breech should stay locked, period, until you release it manually.

- OS

Oh, break action -- listen, forget everything I said about the pump. Not sure that baby is safe to shoot. Breech should stay locked, period, until you release it manually.

- OS

It is not safe to shoot, get it to a Gun Smith if you cant fix it.

That thing opens in your face, well I dont want to think about it.

The locking mechanism is worn out. It can be repaired but that would require the hand fitting of a new part. It could get expensive.

Be sure that whoever you take it to fix has experience when I was gunsmithing I saw a lot of these old single shots that people did really dumb things to repair problems like you have

Guest Papabear

I would take it to a gunsmith it may be a simple fix. The locking mechanism uses a spring to keep the locking bar engaged could be that the spring is weak or broken. I have seen this is CAS shotguns where people try to lighten the spring to much to speed up reloads and go to far.

I've shot quite a bit of clays. Have worn out a couple of locking bolts in Brownings, seen several others occur. Not that uncommon in O/U shotguns that are used extensively. Last one I had done was several hundred dollars at Walker Arms Co. Don't know what it would be for your situation.