Enter At Your Own Risk: Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For Visitors

Guest Smitty

This is just the beginning and it’s going to happen in many places. Detroit is just one of the first because its economy was based on the auto industry more so than many other cities.

The worse the economy gets; the more Police Officers we will need. The money for that can only come from raising taxes.

I’ve seen the quality of Police Officers drop substantially in the last 30 years and I believe it will now drop like a rock. But it’s not just cops; it’s all jobs.

In the 80’s I had a guy that owned a security firm tell me “If I hire security guards and let them wear a uniform, I could hire them for minimum wage. If I Let them carry a gun I could get them to work for free.†That just may be what we end up with for cops.

Edited by DaveTN

This is just the beginning and it’s going to happen in many places. Detroit is just one of the first because its economy was based on the auto industry more so than many other cities...

Home office for the trucking company I contracted to in the 70's was on Woodward Ave -- Detroit was Very Rough And Dangerous then, and GM was booming. It must be really quite the jungle now -- sounds like a cheap safari trip for the more adventurous among us. ;)

- OS

• Like 2

Just a few months ago, a spokesman for the city of Chicago was warning tourists to vacation somewhere other than the Windy City because of roving bands of thugs who were seen on The Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier and other popular tourist spots. They were robbing and beating people up at random. He said because of budget cutbacks there weren't as many police officers so the criminal element was taking advantage of the situation. We were thinking of going there for a week but after I read the article we made other plans and went to New England instead.

Edited by DaddyO

It should be obvious what's going to happen when things get really bad and the free food / free rent comes to a halt.

As stated above, a decaying city has to raise taxes on the remaining citizens to provide services to the point the remaining citizens can't afford to support themselves anymore and if they have the means, they move. It's an almost unstoppable cycle that can only be temporally delayed by an influx of federal tax payer money.

The low life element doesn't need much of an excuse to justify their criminal behavior if not pacified.

After intently studying my crystal ball, Tara cards and my collection of chicken bones... They all concur we will have a marshmallow and hot dog roast in a number of major cities when President O concedes the election to Romney next month.

• Like 1

Last time I was in Detroit was before the recession. It looked like a post-apocalyptic movie set back then. I can't imagine what it looks like now.... Don't really care. They deserve everything they have coming to them. They continue to elect criminals and allow gangs and unions to strong arm them around. Detroit is a hole because the citizens there have allowed it to happen. Eff 'em.

• Like 1

That's a load of union crap. Detroit hasn't been a safe place to visit in 50 years. The decline of Detroit had absolutely nothing to do with the auto industry and everything to do with racial politics and government corruption. The place is a cesspool.

Edited by enfield
Guest HillyKarma

That's a load of union crap. Detroit hasn't been a safe place to visit in 50 years. The decline of Detroit had absolutely nothing to do with the auto industry and everything to do with racial politics and government corruption. The place is a cesspool.

Yeah, I agree 100 percent. It's even worse than Memphis.

It's turned into a crappy city because of lower-classed individuals (who usually happen to be black or hispanic of some sort) coming in and completely overrunning the area.

Natrually, what comes with many lower-classed people is crime, crime breeds more crime, and boom, you have Detroit, TN building up.

Sad to say, but also in LaVergne, the same thing is happening.

Yeah, I agree 100 percent. It's even worse than Memphis.

It's turned into a crappy city because of lower-classed individuals (who usually happen to be black or hispanic of some sort) coming in and completely overrunning the area.

Natrually, what comes with many lower-classed people is crime, crime breeds more crime, and boom, you have Detroit, TN building up.

Sad to say, but also in LaVergne, the same thing is happening.

haha just noticed your from smyrna. and I agree I work in LaVergne and any time a town has junkies walking the streets all the time it's headed down hill. If you stop at a gas station for 10 minutes it's a good chance someone will ask you for gas money or something.

It's all coming from Antioch. Bad news is Rutherford County was just ranked #3 in the nation in Job Growth. Everyone is gonna flock here looking for jobs making things worse.

Im trying to talk my wife into moving out toward woodbury.

I can see our country fracturing into a number of nation states, tightly aligned but having separate governments...many cities end up like Detroit, DC, Chicago, LA, etc and shunned by the rest of the nation.

Once we fracture we are done. I don’t see Americans turning their backs on other Americans; that’s TV non-sense.

EDIT:

Okay… I should probably restate that… I can see that happening, but if it does we are toast. Not something I would take part in.

Edited by DaveTN

Detroit is just one of the first because its economy was based on the auto industry more so than many other cities.

This is impossible because POTUS single handedly saved the auto industry while juggling chainsaws and helping old women across the street with their groceries.

• Like 1

Here is a comparison to consider, is there a difference between Detroit and Mogadishu other than latitude and longitude?

Detroit is surrounded by other Americans that won’t turn their back on them.

We did this… we can’t just walk away and let them fin for themselves. Well…. Some can.

• Moderators

Detroit is surrounded by other Americans that won’t turn their back on them.

We did this… we can’t just walk away and let them fin for themselves. Well…. Some can.

I can. F 'em, they did it to themselves.