Self Defense against Un-Armed Perps (Pepper Spray Carry with Handgun)

I'm fairly large guy and likely in better shape than average for my age, but nonetheless now geezer enough to assume that anyone willing to go fisticuffs with me is likely to cause serious bodily injury at the least. I ain't risking a beat down, and having an HCP means I don't have to take one.

"God made us, Sam Colt made us all equal".

- OS

^ This. Except substitute very large for fairly large. If someone wants to fight me I will assume they are crazy. You don't want to fight crazy people.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what is a monkey fist?

A ball bearing within a knot called a monkey's fist. Google it. Originally they were used on ships I think to toss line, and some now have wooden balls in them so they can float. Then there are others that have ball bearings or similar in them. Edited by gjohnsoniv

^ This. Except substitute very large for fairly large. If someone wants to fight me I will assume they are crazy. You don't want to fight crazy people.

You're one of the few folks I absolutely have to look waaayyy up at :)

If your experience was anything like mine through the years, I found it true that a big guy has to fend off fights from smaller guys more than the average. Something about small squirts having to tilt at windmills, psychologically.

I know it was true in elhi. But later on, maybe it was more due to the kind of places I used to hang out. :)

- OS

I've thought about pepper spray. I'm a runner and carrying while soaked with sweat isn't practical. Guns aren't allowed in some of the places I go. In the former case, spray would be better than nothing. In the latter, I'd like to have something while walking to and from the gun-banned facility. At age 65 and 132 pounds, any thug would just laugh if I brandished a monkey's fist.

I'd think twice about carrying spray that looked like a gun, though. You might unintentionally escalate the situation or some other armed citizen or security guard might shoot you. My thinking is that if I draw something that looks like a gun, it had darn well better function like a gun!

Twice I've had to place my right hand on my right hip out of sight of a perp to signal to stay away from me. Both times it worked without having to draw the gun. In one case I had to shout, "Stay away from me!" but in the other case, he immediately changed direction to walk away from me without a word being said. Pepper spray would not have worked in either of these situations.

Edited by jgradyc

I've thought about pepper spray. I'm a runner and carrying while soaked with sweat isn't practical. Guns aren't allowed in some of the places I go. In the former case, spray would be better than nothing. In the latter, I'd like to have something while walking to and from the gun-banned facility. At age 65 and 132 pounds, any thug would just laugh if I brandished a monkey's fist.

Good sharp pointy 4" knife, like Spyderco Military. Weighs 4 oz.

C36GCMO_L.jpg

I have a Kimber pepper blaster that I carry when I pick my son up from preschool. Bums hang out near there and I've been hassled at my truck a few times. I wouldn't classify the situation as one where I would fear for my life, but I'm not going to blows with a bum and risk picking up hepatitis, nor am i going hand to hand with my child there. One shot to the face would end the encounter and prevent anything physical, plus would be much less of a hassle than shooting and killing someone. That pepper blaster stuff has pretty good range and is a gel, so there isn't much blowback like with spray.

That's funny stuff, but I think Boy'o with the pepper spray should be charged.

Just my :2cents: !

Dave S

Well it's a good thing you're in no position to make those decisions. I'm pretty comfortable spraying anyone that aggressively crowds my space.

You guys have hit it. I got my HCP for a reason. If I'm out and someone comes at me unprovoked, and is looking like he is set on doing harm, I'm way more than likely going to unholster and keep at a low ready then try to tango and possibly get knocked out and then really get roughed up while I'm out. If they keep coming after seeing the handgun, they will then be staring down the barrel of a .45.

Can someone recommend a good brand of pepper spray and a good way to carry it? I'm thinking that some sort of innocuous belt clip holster that looks more like a phone case than a canister holder would work. Maybe I should go by Greene Military in Nashville and ask what they recommend? There are times when drawing a firearm might unnecessarily escalate a situation or firearms might be banned. I'm not so much concerned about being in these facilities as I am walking back to my car. We had a case a while back here in Nashville where a man was assaulted in the afternoon just walking back to his car after going to a restaurant.

Edited by jgradyc

I tend to recommend the gel over just stright up aerosol. If you happen to be in a confined area such as a car or room you might get a dose of your own medicine with an aerosol. With a gel, the first reaction when being sprayed in the face is to reach up and rub. The bad guy will just rub it in even more.

Can someone recommend a good brand of pepper spray and a good way to carry it? I'm thinking that some sort of innocuous belt clip holster that looks more like a phone case than a canister holder would work. Maybe I should go by Greene Military in Nashville and ask what they recommend? There are times when drawing a firearm might unnecessarily escalate a situation or firearms might be banned. I'm not so much concerned about being in these facilities as I am walking back to my car. We had a case a while back here in Nashville where a man was assaulted in the afternoon just walking back to his car after going to a restaurant.

I have the Kimber pepper blaster. It comes out in gel form and has some good range on it. There are vids on YouTube which demo the range. I read a review on Amazon where a guy had a ND with one in the house and had to clear out for a few hours after being incapacitated from the residual. I'm sure even a center mass hit on a person would be enough to make them look elsewhere for trouble.

I don't equate self defense pepper spraying to scenarios where officers use it. The reason a perp is going to fight through the spray is because he wants to fight the cops. Someone who is trying to assault you for whatever reason will probably not want to play anymore after getting hit. If not he still won't be able to pursue you very well. Cops have to worry about subduing and arresting folks; you don't.