Question as to how to....???

Guest islander48506

Guest islander48506

Hello fellow TGO's! I really need some help as to how to ship my AR-15 to San Diego? I've been searching the internet and i'm stumpped. do I have to ship it to an FFL dealer or ship it in 2 parts upper and lower, via USPS? any advise or links would be greatly appriciated! Thanks!

Guest islander48506

I see, I thought you were just asking logistically how to ship it there.

Sorry LJ, That too was part of the question. if I made it CA compliant by installing the "BULLET BUTTON"...what are the procedures on shipping the rifle. it's 36in. in length collapsed with a 16in. barrel. just wanted to get some inputs. Thanks...

DEAR LORD!! I read the calguns document and they ban every freaking thing!! I would say screw moving there!!

Its not that bad. I think it boils down to 3 simple rules:

1) gun has to have been purchased or brought into the state on or before june 18th of 1875.

2) you must bolt a boat oar to the pistol grip.

3) the magazine must be replaced with a "bolt action style" that holds 10 rounds or less and loads by shoving the rounds into the chamber one by one.

!!!

• Like 1

Assuming you don't have a bayonet lug you should be good to go with the addition of a bullet button. IIRC, you'll need to double check at the CaDOJ website, you can disassemble your regular magazines and bring them in as parts. You can then ship the rifle to yourself at your new address assuming someone will be there to take delivery of the package.

The laws in Ca ARE stupid, but contrary to popular TGO belief there is a large shooting community with some good people. Take the opportunity to get some great tacos and enjoy the weather.

Assuming you don't have a bayonet lug you should be good to go with the addition of a bullet button. IIRC, you'll need to double check at the CaDOJ website, you can disassemble your regular magazines and bring them in as parts. You can then ship the rifle to yourself at your new address assuming someone will be there to take delivery of the package.

The laws in Ca ARE stupid, but contrary to popular TGO belief there is a large shooting community with some good people. Take the opportunity to get some great tacos and enjoy the weather.

According to the flow chart it can't have a pistol grip, collapsible stock or flash suppressor, is that true?

According to the flow chart it can't have a pistol grip, collapsible stock or flash suppressor, is that true?

I answer my own question...

Adding the bullet button allows the pistol grip, flash hider etc. if you have a readily detachable magazine then you cannot have any if these features.

I answer my own question...

Adding the bullet button allows the pistol grip, flash hider etc. if you have a readily detachable magazine then you cannot have any if these features.

Beat me to it. That's correct, the bullet button trumps all the rest. All said and done if I were still in Ca I'd just bite the bullet and grab a mini 14. It would serve much the same purpose and at least I'd be able to change magazines without a tool.

If you are selling to someone in Ca, you need to find out from the buyer which FFL would accept your AR as it is. The FFL can make the rifle Ca legal once they recieve it before releasing it to the buyer. One thing to remember is there are certain brands that are not allowed to be sold in Ca. Brands like Colt, Armalite, RRA, and a few others - for a full list visit Calguns-. Most off brand newly made ones- Stag, CMMG, ... are not on that list so they can be sold in Ca without any problem. Also once you find out the FFL's name find out from them if they accept shippings from a private seller, or if they want it shipped through a Tn FFL. Another thing to remember is you can not ship any mags to Ca that have a capacity of more than 10 rounds.

Edited by mk19

If you are selling to someone in Ca, you need to find out from the buyer which FFL would accept your AR as it is. The FFL can make the rifle Ca legal once they recieve it before releasing it to the buyer. One thing to remember is there are certain brands that are not allowed to be sold in Ca. Brands like Colt, Armalite, RRA, and a few others - for a full list visit Calguns-. Most off brand newly made ones- Stag, CMMG, ... are not on that list so they can be sold in Ca without any problem. Also once you find out the FFL's name find out from them if they accept shippings from a private seller, or if they want it shipped through a Tn FFL. Another thing to remember is you can not ship any mags to Ca that have a capacity of more than 10 rounds.

I don't think there are any issues with Ca complient Colts being brought into the state. IIRC my LGS had several Colt Ars for sale when I left. There's also a big difference in what an FFL can stock for sale and what a citizen can own. For instance lets say I have a handgun not on the Ca approved roster, not a problem to bring in also not a problem to transfer through an FFL but they themselves cannot stock that handgun.

Confused? Wait it gets worse!

Los Angeles county has its own separate special list of handguns prohibited for sale, common sense would tell you that possession of said handgun would also be verboten, right? Wrong! One can easily (and legally) go into the next shop out side the county limits and pick up that baby scaring, evil undersized pistol no problem. In fact one of the shops I used to frequent was in Culver City, tucked into LA county but not part of it, like an urban island of freedom.

My last bit of advise on the topic is simple. When in doubt, bypass the gun forum roll up your sleeves and get onto the CaDOJ site.

Good luck in Ca.

Unless something changed in the last couple of years since I moved out of Ca, Colt is one of the companies that is on the ban list for Ca civilians. LE can own them for duty purposes, and civilians who had them prior to 2000 and have them registered can own them as well.

here is the list , not the (ALL) next to colt.

Attachment 4.

California Code of Regulations §979.10 / PC 12276 “Roberti-Roos†list.

(a) Rifles

Armalite AR-180

Beretta AR-70

Bushmaster Assault Rifle

Calico M-900

Colt AR-15 (all)

Daewoo AR100, AR110C

Daewoo K-1, K-2

Daewoo Max 1, Max 2

Fabrique Nationale 308 Match, Sporter

Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, FNC

HK 91, 94, PSG-1

HK 93

IMI Galil

IMI Uzi

J&R ENG M-68

MAADI CO AK 47

MAADI CO ARM

Made in China 56

Made in China 56S

Made in China 84S

Made in China 86S

Made in China AK

Made in China AK47

Made in China AKM

Made in China AKS

Made in Spain CETME Sporter

MAS 223

Norinco 56

Norinco 56 S

Norinco 84 S

Franchi SPAS 12, LAW 12

Norinco 86 S

Norinco SKS w/detachable magazine

Poly technologies AK47

Poly technologies AKS

RPB Industries, Inc. sM10, sM11

SIG AMT, PE-57

SIG SG 550, SG 551

Sterling MK-6

Steyr AUG

SWD Incorporated M11

Valmet M62S, M71S, M78S

Weaver Arms Nighthawk

(B) Pistols

Advance Armament Inc. M11

Bushmaster Pistol

Calico M-950

Encom MP-9, MP-45

IMI UZI

Intratec TEC-9

Military Armament Corp. M-11

RPB Industries Inc. sM10, sM11

Sites Spectre

Sterling MK-7

SWD Incorporated M11

© Shotguns

Cobray Streetsweeper - S/S Inc., SS/12

Cobray Striker 12

You could very well be right on the money. I have to admit I never paid all that much attention to the Ca legal ARs while I was there but I could have sworn Turners outdoorsman was carrying Colts... Maybe for LE only? I thought one of my range buddy's had one but could be mistaken in that as well. I've spent enough of my time at this point scouring over the DOJ site so I'm not really feeling to inclined to do it again.

What part of Ca did you live? I see your USMC so I'm guessing San Diego?

More wackiness!!! So I cheated a bit and called my old LGS and spoke to one of the guys there. We are both right, as of "a few months ago" there are indeed CA legal Colt Ars. Some are still a no go but others are allowed. So yes a civilian can own a Colt AR in Ca.... However the odds of OP owning one of those particular models is probably not high sooo, we're both right.