The Walking Dead Season 3!!

CM1021

I think the group is better trained than the people of woodberry. Do you remember the scene where Andrea and the young girl(good with a bow) were on the wall and the girl missed twice before Andrea says this is how it's done. Another Michone takes out two guys armed "to the teeth" with a sword. Defending against walkers is one thing, a well planned sneak attack??? Makes you wonder. I am sure two or three guys are decent but the whole group in Woodberry? Have you noticed the governor has not squared off with anyone but Maggie. Intimidation is his thing, but can he walk the walk. Rick is no pu$$y by any means. Darryl either. These guys are battle hardened for there time. It will be fun to watch play out.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone
As far as how Merle will meet his end, I am beginning to wonder if he is going to go out 'Vader Style'. We all know that he isn't the faithful lapdog that the governor thinks he if only because of his lying to the Governor about killing Michonne, etc. Also, I got the feeling that even Merle thought the Governor was going too far with what he did to Maggie (not that it bothered him about her, per se, but that he is realizing how the Governor plans to treat the other group - Darryl included.) I think Merle will realize that Darryl will never obey the Governor and that the Governor will kill Darryl right along with the others. Merle isn't the most moral/likeable character but I am not sure that he will just stand by and let someone kill his brother.

So, yeah, I can see a 'Return of the Jedi' ending for Merle. Heck, he already has only one hand (just like Vader at the end.)
Okay, so he probably won't throw the Governor down a shaft in a spacecraft but maybe he will throw him to the walkers - and probably get shot in the process. I can imagine him lying on the ground, dying from an untreatable bullet wound and talking to Darryl:

Darryl: Hold on, bro. We'll get you fixed up.

Merle: Nah, this is it for me. You wanna help me, when I go put one of those arrows in my head. Don't let me come back as one of them things.

Now, dammit, don't get all weepy on me like some teenage girl. Hell, in this world we're all going to end up dead sooner than later. Truth told, sooner is probably better, anyhow. You take care of yourself, little brother.

I'd kind of like to see such an ending for him. I mean, Merle is a complete a-hole but he is so good at it and also such a bad ass that I wouldn't mind seeing him get a little 'redemption' in the end.
[quote name='jtmaze' timestamp='1353957070' post='850879']
I think the group is better trained than the people of woodberry. Do you remember the scene where Andrea and the young girl(good with a bow) were on the wall and the girl missed twice before Andrea says this is how it's done. Another Michone takes out two guys armed "to the teeth" with a sword. Defending against walkers is one thing, a well planned sneak attack??? Makes you wonder. I am sure two or three guys are decent but the whole group in Woodberry? Have you noticed the governor has not squared off with anyone but Maggie. Intimidation is his thing, but can he walk the walk. Rick is no pu$$y by any means. Darryl either. These guys are battle hardened for there time. It will be fun to watch play out.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone
[/quote]

I'll take your point a little further and say that the Governor purposefully limits the number of people who are allowed to have weapons, the number of people who receive training and so on. From the beginning, I have been thinking of the Governor as some kind of crazy cult leader. I think maybe the whole thing with the tea that others noticed earlier may be intended as a parallel to grape Flavor Aid. In fact, when describing him to Rick and the others, Michonne even says that he is like some kind of Jim Jones.

Anyhow, I think that the Governor is so bent on total control that he has handicapped his people by only letting a select few 'enforcers' into the group. Pretty much the handful that went with him to murder the National Guard guys. Not a large force and many of them probably not willing to die, if necessary, to protect the group (unlike Rick's group.) A couple of them seem more like bullies and blow-hards than real fighters. They are pretty good at murdering people who aren't expecting an attack, shooting walkers from a fortified location or pushing around unarmed (topless) girls but I don't know if they would be good for much beyond that. Heck, even bloodied, beaten and armed only with a broken chair leg I think Glenn scared them - and when it comes to fighting, Glenn is kind of the 'lightweight' of Rick's group. Edited by JAB
On a completely different topic, Andrea could save the doctor a lot of time and effort by explaining to him exactly what they saw at the CDC when they watched the CAT scan or whatever of a person dying then coming back as a walker. That showed, without a doubt, that (as she told him while waiting for the old man to die), "There is no unconscious mind."
  • Like 1
I have two threads going about this to keep up with, so I will just copy/paste my opinion from my other thread.

[QUOTE=Murgatroy;30214533]I haz givenz DiG a twelve hour grace period.

So.

Who is the villain here?

So I was sure that Philip was going to cross the line last night with Maggie and show us that he was in fact the bad guy. But once again, he stopped just shy of being a villain. What he did was uncouth, but it was a demoralizing tactic used to extract information, which just happened to work.

Then on the flip side of it all, Rick and his group of Merry Marauders go to visit some old hermit, then stab him and throw him still alive to the walkers.

Would you like some KFC with that?

WTF? Even Oscar stood back and thought to his self "Damn, these folks be crazy."

The ####ing inmate.

He had scruples about breaking into homeboys house, and killing him.

And through all of this we are supposed to affiliate Philip as the villian?

Who is the judge here? Michonne? The weakest character of the season who squandered her first half of the season with poor writing and brooding over the death of her friends?[/QUOTE] Edited by Murgatroy
[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1354027152' post='851279']
I would not be surprised if this show picked up some nominations this year. It has come leaps and bounds over the first and second season. Glad I stayed with it.
[/quote]

They sure deserve it. BIggest ratings for any cable show, ever.

I'm just happy for Daryl. Carol is okay. If you think Rick was bad, imagine what daryl would do if he fell off the deep end. I personally beleive Daryl will kill Merle and it will be over Carol AND because of his love for Carol, he won't lament his filthy bigot brothers passing.

Daryl Dixon for president!!!
  • Like 1
[quote name='Murgatroy' timestamp='1353977030' post='851048']
So I was sure that Philip was going to cross the line last night with Maggie and show us that he was in fact the bad guy. But once again, he stopped just shy of being a villain. What he did was uncouth, but it was a demoralizing tactic used to extract information, which just happened to work.
[/quote]

Nah, it was more than that. After the Governor got the info he wanted, he still rubbed up all over Maggie, kissed her forehead, etc. - all while looking directly at Glenn. Further, by not taking things 'all the way' with Maggie he saved a little something back to use as a leveraging tactic later, if need be. He showed both her and Glenn that he could have her whenever he wanted but left that as a threat hanging over their heads. If, on the other hand, he had 'done the deed' then that would be one less thing that two already desperate people had to lose. His bent is that he wants to dominate all women, one way or another, and either kill or emasculate all the other men around him. He really is a typical, sicko cult leader who thinks all the women in his group 'belong' to him and only keeps men around to do his dirty work. He knew he would never dominate Michonne so he wanted her dead. He knew that the National Guard guys wouldn't bow down to him and be his lapdogs so he murdered them.

Rick and the others kill for survival and self-protection. They kill in the heat of the moment. It is a brutal world and folks sometimes have to do brutal things.

On the other hand, the Governor pre-meditates pretty much everything. He kills from a cold, calculating disregard for anyone else. He enjoys manipulating, hurting and killing and the power trip he gets from it. in that way, his actions are much more reprehensible than even Shane murdering Otis because at least that was a split second decision made out of the desire to survive. The Governor is a right bastard and no doubt the villian. It is just that this is a good show with writing that is a bit more subtle and not hitting the viewer over the head with how evil he truly is. Cult leaders gain and maintain their positions by being sneaky, manipulative and highly charismatic not by being obviously raving lunatics. Jim Jones didn't get his followers to commit mass suicide by being overtly crazy but that didn't make him any less of an evil sicko.

In some ways, it is kind of like the Clint Eastwood movie 'Unforgiven'. There aren't 'white hats' and 'black hats'. Instead, there are grey hats and black hats with some of the grey hats being a pretty dark shade of grey while some of the black hats are faded to almost grey. It isn't about Rick's gang being a group of 'good guys'. Instead, it they are a group of people trying to survive and how, although they generally try to do the right thing, 'morality' can change with circumstance. Edited by JAB
Guest The Dude
I hope Andrea dies. She turned into a total douche. She turned her back on the one person who saved her ass and kept her alive all winter. I wonder what her reaction would be if she knew that Glen and Maggie were taken and tortured by the Gov. and his goons? Maybe nothing.

The Gov is a doucher. He was def. jealous when her learned of Rick and his group taking the prison. Seems to have struck a little fear into his ass, and rightfully so. He now kidnapped and tortured two of Ricks group, and seems to maybe have some regrets about doing such. I hope to see some well deserved death on the mid season finale.
Guest Lester Weevils
As best I recall, in the comix Michonne put an intentionally non-fatal but grossly disfiguring and crippling hurt on the gov when she escaped, which drove him even-more-crazier and then months later after the gov healed up from his grievous wounds (except for all of his missing parts), the town made full-frontal armed assault on the prison.

So this "sneak mission" to rescue Glenn and Maggie offers opportunity for a "convergence" with the comix story line where Michonne puts the serious humiliating and mutilating hurt on the gov with that pig-sticker of hers. Though it would be difficult to match the gross-ness, pure gory-ness of the equivalent comix encounter on a prime time TV show.

I like Michonne in the comix and also the show. It is her optimistic attitude and cheerful bubbling personality.

The plot line with Andrea vastly differs from the comix, but in the comix Andrea is an important character for a long time to come and an important asset in many battles as the best long distance sniper in the group. Edited by Lester Weevils
[quote name='The Dude' timestamp='1354380180' post='853385']
I hope Andrea dies. She turned into a total douche. She turned her back on the one person who saved her ass and kept her alive all winter. I wonder what her reaction would be if she knew that Glen and Maggie were taken and tortured by the Gov. and his goons? Maybe nothing.

The Gov is a doucher. He was def. jealous when her learned of Rick and his group taking the prison. Seems to have struck a little fear into his ass, and rightfully so. He now kidnapped and tortured two of Ricks group, and seems to maybe have some regrets about doing such. I hope to see some well deserved death on the mid season finale.
[/quote]

GASP!!!
what? She cant die..
I think she is playing the gov.