There arose such a clatter...

I was woke up by my ol' lady a little bit ago by her shaking me and saying there was someone outside on our back porch. I paused for a second to fully awake and I heard all sorts of racket from right outside the back door. I followed my Glock 22 around trough the kitchen to cut of a small little night light lamp so I could have the house dark to peak outside through a window. What I saw kinda shocked me and relieved me at the same time. A big ol' bird just messing around on the porch. It was making a hell of a racket. I stuck my head out and it flew up in a tree so I went out and got a pic. I'm guessing it's a crane

Edited by glowdotGlock

That neck makes me think about the Christmas dinner in the move Christmas Story @ the Chinese resturant. I think I must have Christmas on my mind this morning. I am trying to think of my Christmas list to give to my wife for me....

Same thing happens to a buddy of mine a few months ago but was in his barn. It was 2 vultures fighting/mating. He said they were making a noise like he had never heard. It's crazy what will get you going in the night.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

I hope it comes back tonight. My girlfriend's little sister had gotten some shells from the creek a few days ago and left them on my back porch and I think there may have been a few with some meat left in them because it was just going crazy on that dog water bowl full of shells.

Now that I look at it for a bit, THAT IS A SNIPE!!!

Anyone got a bag, lets go snipe hunting!!!

We really do have them, ya know.

WilsonsSnipeJB.jpg

But ain't nobody ever caught one in a bag. :)

And yep, I've been in on a few snipe hunts in my youth. With bags. As both victim and perpetrator. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

That doesn't look like a heron with those webbed feet.

Gotta be a trick of light/shadow. Feet look almost crudely Photoshopped in, just low rez and small in the frame with legs not extended I guess.

But surely it's a Great Blue, the other few large waders we have don't look anything like them? Then again, hard to get a real scale of it's actual size, but if that's a 2x8 it's on, looks like a youngun.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Gotta be a trick of light/shadow. Feet look almost crudely Photoshopped in, just low rez and small in the frame with legs not extended I guess.

But surely it's a Great Blue, the other few large waders we have don't look anything like them? Then again, hard to get a real scale of it's actual size, but if that's a 2x8 it's on, looks like a youngun.

- OS

Just for the sake of arguing with you, I say it's a Cormorant. I know they are in TN for the winter, or at least I think they are. Edited by gjohnsoniv

Just for the sake of arguing with you, I say it's a Cormorant. I know they are in TN for the winter, or at least I think they are.

You could be right. Especially if those legs are all he's got -- and if those feet are truly webbed, then you're almost certainly right.

"Status in Tennessee: Double-crested Cormorants are an uncommon migrant and winter resident in East Tennessee, and a fairly common migrant and winter resident in Middle and West Tennessee. They are an uncommon breeding bird in the state, but numbers are increasing rapidly. Double-crested Cormorants were formerly listed as In-Need-of-Management in Tennessee when the breeding population disappeared and wintering populations were very low."

http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/details.cfm?displayhabitat=water&sort=aounumber&typename=WATER&uid=09042709213852092&commonname=Double-crested%20Cormorant

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Just for the sake of arguing with you, I say it's a Cormorant. I know they are in TN for the winter, or at least I think they are.

I did not know Cormorants spend time in TN but that is what it looks like to me, especially with the web like feet.