Original Winchester Model 1895

Guest Average Joe

Guest Average Joe

I have recently acquired an original Winchester model 1895 lever action in .30-40 Krag. I have been scouring the web for info on how to disassemble to clean. No real luck besides buying a book I found, don't mind buying the book but would like something sooner than later.

My gun I have is in excellent condition considering its age and seems to be in good working order, I would like to go thru it good to clean and lube it before trying to fire it.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer,

Joe

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Average Joe

I have found both of these sources,

The "brief instructions", I read them but there is quite a bit of info missing here. All the parts #s they reference... where is the diagram showing the parts and corresponding #s? the reason I am so particular on this is I have already read that on the 3 screws under the lever its self there is only one that needs to be removed in order to remove the stock. If the others are removed then they can have a profound effect on the hammer spring tension. Don't really want to go there.... thank you for the reference none the less.

As for the "Manual" link, this I saw also but it is for the new and current model 1895 rifle, in saying this and reading these instructions there is a safety lever on top of the stock behind the hammer that is not on my original 1895, also it talks about removing the fore end screw and twisting the fore end and barrel to remove the barrel from thr upper rereceiver. My gun is asassembled totally different than this newer design.

Once again I do appappreciatee efforts but neither one help me at this point.

Joe

Guest Average Joe

That I can do, ....it is my favorite lever gun, oh, wait, its my only one. That's OK , the more I learn about it the cooler it gets!! Give me a little & I will get some pictures up.

Guest Average Joe

Ok, I give up... I use several other forums but I am new to this one as far as actually posting and all. I am stumped as to how to up load my pictures?? I am sure it is pretty easy after you know how but so far, not so easy. sorry to bother you guys with something so basic, Joe

Guest Average Joe

Pics are posted thanks to instruction from Murgatroy, Thanks again. He posted several from my on line account and then I posted the ones that were not there when he did it.

Edited by Average Joe

What exactly are you wanting to clean?

I would hose it down with WD-40 then blow it out with air. Do this several times until no more crud comes out. Then wipe the outside down with synthetic 30 weight oil. I would also use that same oil on the moving parts you can reach.

Beyond that I would not alter or take it apart. Do not try to polish anything or shine anything and especially do not try to touch up any bluing. Doing it will ruin any value the gun has. Even having a screwdriver slip out of a screw slot can cause damage that will affect value.

These gun came finished in what is called rust blue or brown. It is not your typical bluing but a black or brownish color, not blue. The brownish color is the finish and is not corrosion. It is supposed to be this color and not blue. Do not try to remove the brown/black and especially do not try to blue any worn areas.

Because of the caliber it might be worth contacting Winchester to try to find a history. Who knows it could have been a military arm at some point in its life.

Dolomite

Thanks for the pic, that explains the 3 screws on the bottom I was worried about. 8035537005_d59a023f5c.jpg

I figured the center screw might be for the mainspring when I saw the first picture. With an old gun like that, boogered screw heads will give you some clues.

Edited by mikegideon

This is mine. I found it last spring at a show in Hotlanta. In 30 years of going to gunshows this is the first one I have ever seen. The guy behind me just before I bought it was all over himself wanting to buy it. Interestingly, I had probably 10 older gentlemen stop me and want to look at it before I left the show. No young guys wanted to look at it. Somebody on Castbullets told me it is 1914 vintage...

3-22-12Winchester1895002.jpg

3-22-12Winchester1895004.jpg

3-22-12Winchester1895007.jpg

3-22-12Winchester1895010-1.jpg

3-22-12Winchester1895003.jpg

3-22-122001.jpg