New Pocket Carry: Springfield XD-S

TGO David

• Administrator

This followed me home today from a visit to Nashville Armory to test shoot my M&P 9. The bad thing is, my wife wants another one for herself. Well maybe that's not such a bad thing after all...

i-bBZLQvQ.jpg

We did test rent one first and loved it. Very controllable and a lot less perceived recoil or muzzle flip than a S&W J-Frame revolver shooting 38spl +P rounds. This has officially replaced my Kahr PM9 as my pocket carry, so much so in fact that I will be selling my PM9 here in the next few days. Watch for it if you're interested in a smoking deal on a PM9. :)

My PJ's Holsters pocket holster for the XD-S should be arriving any day now.

I still have to stop in the LGS on my way home every couple of weeks to fondle one. I wish I was rich and didn't have kids in college. Lol there would be a lot less guns on the market. It is coming hopefully income tax time. Congrats.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Its a 5+1 .45ACP gun. I gotta say, I have never much cared for the XD line of pistols, and still don't. However, after shooting a friends XDs I really, really want one. It is among the nicest shooting .45's I have ever had the pleasure of using.

David, what did you pay for that XDs? So far I am finding mostly MSRP (or very close) in my area.

Edited by TNcitizen22

A lot thinner. It's literally about the same size as the Kahr PM9 albeit a hair taller in the grip.

Thanks. That should be perfect. I may give it a try. I have managed the G26 in a Nemesis, but thinner is always better for a pocket pistol, and I'm certain that the trigger is ten times better than the LCP. Plus it's a .45 caliber.

Edited by LINKS2K

A lot thinner. It's literally about the same size as the Kahr PM9 albeit a hair taller in the grip.

Looking at specs, .4 inch taller and .9 inch longer than PM9, and same height and .5 longer than PM45. Dunno if Kahr is counting mag too, like the XD-S does though, as the PM45 mag juts out well below bottom of grip.

But splitting hairs, the XDs seems quite the achievement, and I expect it to be finicky-free and very robust, like the rest of their line. When the 9mm comes out, there may be another PM9 on the market.

Them Croats are good, no doubt about that. I wonder if they are still the lead engineers through the XD subbies, XDm line, and now this?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I'm a small guy so there is no way I could fit this gun in my pockets but I held one today and really liked it. Springfield did a nice job on this one.

I also held the ever elusive Ruger 1911. It was on sale for $650!

My GF ended up picking out a Sig p238 for herself so we left with that. It was a good day!

I'm not a "small" guy so to say...pretty average being 6ft but there's no way I could get that into my pocket. I can barely get my KelTec P32 in my pocket...ya'll must be some BIG fellas...... :biglol:

I'm fairly large guy as you know, and really, I'm only completely comfy with my PM9 in cargo shorts/pants, which fortunately my normal daily attire. No jeans I have have a pocket that is suitable. Oddly, though, I have several pairs of dress pants that accommodate it better than jeans, but the cargo rules.

But anything bigger than this heater won't cut it in pocket for me. Folks amaze me who do a G26/27 or XD Subbie 9/40.

Then again, folks like Glenn and DLM could probably hide a Colt Dragoon.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I'm fairly large guy as you know, and really, I'm only completely comfy with my PM9 in cargo shorts/pants, which fortunately my normal daily attire. No jeans I have have a pocket that is suitable. Oddly, though, I have several pairs of dress pants that accommodate it better than jeans, but the cargo rules.

But anything bigger than this heater won't cut it in pocket for me. Folks amaze me who do a G26/27 or XD Subbie 9/40.

Then again, folks like Glenn and DLM could probably hide a Colt Dragoon.

- OS

I am 6'2" and about 190lbs. I have a hard time with pocket carry. As OS stated, cargo shorts are fine, dress pants are ok, but anything else is a no go for me. I prefer to carry IWB, but like to have a pocket carry option.

• Administrator

I'm not a "small" guy so to say...pretty average being 6ft but there's no way I could get that into my pocket. I can barely get my KelTec P32 in my pocket...ya'll must be some BIG fellas...... :biglol:

I wear 5.11 pants and shorts all the time and the pockets are designed to accommodate small firearms like this. It's all in how you dress.

• Like 1

Y'all got me wondering if you're wearing skinny jeans or something. :D

I used to pocket carry a Ruger SP101 in Wrangler jeans. Of course I'm a pretty big guy and I like my jeans loose (not sagging, mind you, but roomy). I never thought about pockets being bigger on bigger size pants, but I guess they are, huh?

I wear 5.11 pants and shorts all the time and the pockets are designed to accommodate small firearms like this. It's all in how you dress.

I've tried to find pants that "work" for me but what fits in the waist usually doesn't fit for length or vise versa. Finding and being able to try on pants is a painfull process for me. On top of that, 5 days out of the week it's my work uniform pants and they have deep pockets which is where my Keltec comes in to play as a "bug".

I also find that the jeans from Duluth Trading work well. They're also quite indestructible.