.....can't shoot 'em all.

Only a fool thinks he can survive, shooting every zombie he comes into contact with.

Not one to be a fool, I took this old crusty roofing hatchet and spent some time with it. I ground off the BS and contoured it a bit. Then I smoothed it out a little and put a razor edge on it.

The handle was short and rotten so I set about making me one with a touch more length. The center is teak with purple heart scales down the sides and the pommel scales made from bloodwood. Couple dozen coats of BLO until it wouldn't soak up any more and tada! I'm no wood worker, but it feels decent and is more than capable of severing some undead brain stems.

DSC02780.jpg

DSC02782.jpg

• Like 3
Guest Broomhead

Damn fine job! I'm in the process of cutting and shaping an old axe head into tomahawk myself. I just need to find the time to get back to working on it.

Looks good from here! What kind of glue did you use to laminate the teak and Purple Heart?

Gorilla wood glue. I sanded the mating surfaces nice and flat with 60 grit and then drilled a bajillion little pin holes at odd angles all over the place to give the glue more surface area to hold to. Then I clamped the crap out of it and left it for three days to make sure it cured throughout. It was dry in half a day, but I wanted it cured before I started on it.

Gorilla wood glue. I sanded the mating surfaces nice and flat with 60 grit and then drilled a bajillion little pin holes at odd angles all over the place to give the glue more surface area to hold to. Then I clamped the crap out of it and left it for three days to make sure it cured throughout. It was dry in half a day, but I wanted it cured before I started on it.

That sounds sufficient, I had heard Purple Heart did not easily bind to some woods but never worked with any. Either way the pin holes should hold it just fine. Good thinking.

Nice!

I'm curious, does the polished head stick in the wood? Long ago, I got the bright idea to polish our old kindling hatchet. I made it gleam like a mirror. Unfortunately that rendered it virtually useless for splitting wood as the head stuck like crazy. After wrestling with it for a while I finally just scuffed it up with some 20 grit and its usefulness returned.

Dad makes various things from purple heart laminated with other woods and AFAIK, he just uses regular Titebond wood glue. Gorilla glue is good stuff as well.