Field Mice - Eradicating Vermin

Metalhead

I live in the country. I have posted about this before, but with the cold season coming up agian, I am being invaded by mice to no end. I do not keep trash out on the lawn, and I do not keep junk in my house. However, it seems my place is ground zero for mice during this season. Just this past week I have killed 20+ of the buggers in sticky traps and traditional spring traps. My dogs try their best, but at most they kill one or two a week. My Min Pin holds the record for kills, and my dobey is too big and clumbsy to catch em but man does she try.

Is there any kind of counter measures to prevent them from entering the house? I've thought about getting a cat, but not sure how my dogs would feel about that.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A cat, plain and simple... You will never have an inside mouse problem again. Lucky for me, I love cats :) foo foo ones are no good. Get a male indoor tabby from a rescue and you should be good. A large male cat can also stand up well to dogs as well. Our cats put our French Bulldog in his place real quick. A couple swipes to the face/muzzle and they're done :)

Good luck!

Sent at lightning speed from my unholstered iPhone5

With that many mice, it might be worth a call to TWRA. They may be able to help you figure out why there's so many. There's got to be a food source somewhere to sustain them. And clearly there's a lack of predators.

We had a great big rat take up residence under our screen porch about a month ago. I couldn't figure out why the dog kept digging in various places. Then my wife saw it eating from our bird feeders. I put out a few traps and some bait, no more rat.

I get 2-3 mice every winter - they come in thru the attached garage. Traps and Jack Russells take care of them. Don't seem to see a lot of them outside, but then we have a lot of predators around here, including airborne.