Nebo's Protec Elite HP190 weapon light

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest rebeldrummer

I recently purchased one of Nebo's Redline lights and I will say that I am very please with it. Especially for the price point. I was kind of expecting it to be average quality but so far it has held up GREAT! I have not done any crazy torture testing on it and I do not plan to. I basically wanted it to carry in the car or around the house. General use.

Well I was at the ole' Wally World and came across another Nebo light. This time it was their weapon light, or the Protec Elite HP190.

I thought, well, I like the other one so surely this will be pretty good too, right? So I went a head and picked it up to try it out.

Here are specs on the light:

190 lumens

Q5 LED

2 modes; standard and strobe

2 hr run time in standard

5 hr run time in strobe

3 1/8 inches long

1.0 inch bezel diameter

3.2 oz w/ battery in

CR123A battery

Waterproof / shockproof

1 year warranty

$39.99 + tax....$4 more for extended 2 year warranty

Well I got it home and started trying it out. I am really shocked at just how bright the light is! I have an area in my basement about 25x25 or so (no windows - so pitch black) and when I fired that thing up the ENTIRE room was filled with light. The spread was great too as my peripheral vision was not affected. I then took it out to the back porch. Where I live out in the country it is VERY dark at night. With all the outside lights off I fired it up and surveyed the distance it would reach out! AMAZED! I live on 2 acres w/ a 1/2 acre on each side of that (empty fields) and it easily lit it up. I want to get some pictures up soon. I will have to borrow a camera as mine does not pick up light that well. I also took a few pics of it on my M&P 9 so you guys could get a good idea of size. I plan on taking it through its paces this weekend. I will slap in on my G19, M&P 9 and M&P 45 and see how it holds up. That will be the true test as if it does not hold up while shooting it will be worthless to me as a self defense tool.

Let me know what you guys think. Anybody else running one?

IMG_20121029_201022.jpg

IMG_20121029_201035.jpg

Edited by rebeldrummer
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife's had one on her "nightstand" glock for a while. She wanted a light she could use and that was bright. This fit the bill perfectly. I've taken her G19 up to Norris with the light on and I know I've shot at least 400rnds through it with the light on and no issues yet. Hasn't come loose nor has it been affected by the recoil. Seems to be a good quality low budget light for handgun rails.

This gun light suprisied me as much as the Coastal LED Lenser tac-light did. Bright beam, great flood and distance.....both waterproof and shock proof. For the most part, these items would be great for the budget minded when lookin for a handheld or gun mounted light.
Guest rebeldrummer
yea I like the light a lot....there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. and this light proves that.
inexpensive....yes
cheap....no
Guest rebeldrummer
[quote name='c.a.willard' timestamp='1352253347' post='840507']
Have the same light and i love it, as i've said before only complaint i really have with it is i would like to find a holster to fit it. I may just have to order some more Kydex and do it myself.
[/quote]

i thought I would have the same problem...but I found a guy who said that if he had the light, he would put it on a blue gun and make the holster. no extra charge other than the fact that he charges for light holsters in general. i have done business with this guy and totally trust him. plus if he messed it up he would replace. so its a win win really.
Guest rebeldrummer
[quote name='sL1k' timestamp='1352255827' post='840558']
Rebel thanks to you I just ordered the redline select :/ dang you!
[/quote]

ha ha...i REALLY like these lights. NEBO puts out a good product.

let me know what you think of it when you test it out.

if I could find a good camera to borrow I would do a nice pictorial review of both. my camera does not pick up the light correctly
this will be my goal for the week however....i think others would benefit from an in depth review of this weapon light and the redline.

any specific points that I need to address??
Guest rebeldrummer
No...I purchased this one
http://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=164&cid=16

Picked it up at Bills Outpost. This was the better of the only two they had in stock.
I was told all the "Selects" went quick. However, I will probably still purchase the select as well.

Let me know what you think about it,
My select came in and wow its bright. I really like that you can zoom in and out with it. I was impressed with how much area you can light up with great visibility. Showed it to my best friend and step father now they want one lol. I can pretty much light up my whole basement, the magnet comes in handy too.
Guest rebeldrummer
i am glad that you like it SL1K....I have turned a few different people onto Nebo as well

My redline is not the select but it SURE is bright....fills my entire 20x20 basement...plus the hallway with no problem. wall to wall.
i can even adjust my beam from small to wide....also, it is magnetic in the back and has the aggressive "defensive" front end.

i am a fan. and will be planning on getting the select as well. i will transition that to my "around the house" light and will put the standard in the car.

as far as the Protec, I have not had a chance to put it though its paces. I plan on doing that ASAP and will report.
Guest Triggerhappyzach
I bought one last night, im really pleased with it. The controls are not the best, and my buddies tlr-1 i think is a bit brighter, but for the money a body cant go wrong with this light. It fits and looks great on my G23 and lights up enclosed areas very well.
Guest rebeldrummer
ok so I have been out of the pocket battling pneumonia these last 2 weeks. cold air just sends me into a coughing fit so i have not had a chance to get out to the range (or do much of anything for that matter!)

I plan on doing this Fri or Sat.

stay tuned.....
Guest rebeldrummer
[quote name='RichardR' timestamp='1353340798' post='848165']
Did I read that right? They sell these at Walmart?
[/quote]

yep. just not all Walmarts though. also, if you dont see them hanging up, ask an associate what they have behind the counter.
the store near Seymour where i purchased mine had to put them behind the counter due to thefts I believe....
[quote name='rebeldrummer' timestamp='1353341427' post='848168']

yep. just not all Walmarts though. also, if you dont see them hanging up, ask an associate what they have behind the counter.
the store near Seymour where i purchased mine had to put them behind the counter due to thefts I believe....
[/quote]

Cool thanks man, I'll take a closer look at them if I can find one at the local Walmart, I don't use tac-lights anymore but I do know quite a few guys who do.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ThePunisher
I saw that the Walmart store Nebo's are 190 lumen for $39.97, and I saw the Nebo's at the LGS had 230 lumen for $42.00. I believe I will pick up one today at the LGS. Edited by ThePunisher
Guest rebeldrummer
[quote name='ThePunisher' timestamp='1354391730' post='853443']
I saw that the Walmart store Nebo's are 190 lumen for $39.97, and I saw the Nebo's at the LGS had 230 lumen for $42.00. I believe I will pick up one today at the LGS.
[/quote]

LGS?