.45-70 Versus the 30-30 and .357 Magnum?

gjohnsoniv

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno. If I were to get a lever-gun for hunting deer, I'd go for .30-30. ...Actually, I have one, a Marlin 336W. Haha.

.45-70 turns me away at the cost. Reloading would make it much better, but I don't have that luxury. I find .30-30 at Wally World for $14 a box, which I have to admit, is dandy all things considered...

.357 Magnum could work too for hunting, especially in a rifle vs. a revolver, but going with .30-30 would give you a bit more edge lethality-wise...

You could always go for .44 Magnum too, haha.

IMHO the 45-70 is nothing like the e 30-30 & it is nothing like thw 357mag.

I have a 45-70 GBL & a 336 chambered in 30-30 & let me tell you from the stock end there is absolutely NO comparison!!!!

I dont have a 357 :(

I do have a .444 Marlin & now a .35 Rem in a Marlin lever so i get to see what I like!! So far it is the 45-70 & the 35 Rem!! :)

I know! no Help but my two pennies!! :)

Edited by xd shooter
45/70 is the way to go....but only if you are a reloader (and preferrably a caster too)
I reload mine for $ amounts that you simply would not believe (hint - well below $5 a box)

LOOOOOOVE 45/70.

However - Don't knock 30/30. It is a great cartridge, also easy to reload, and responds well for cast bullets. If you load up some 100 grain 30 carbine bullets it can be a real screamer too... Edited by I_Like_Pie
[quote name='Westwindmike' timestamp='1351896686' post='837989']
That's a crazy ballistics chart. Who sights their 30-30 or 45-70 in at 200 yards???
It would mean more if the zero was at 100 and then you could see the drop at 150.
[/quote]

both, if loaded right, are genuine 200 yard guns. You can bullseye either caliber at 150 yards and have an almost perfect deer sized point blank at 0-200. Not on springfield loads for the 45/70, but a standard 300 grainer at 2000fps.

[quote name='gjohnsoniv' timestamp='1351966100' post='838418']
Yep I do reload. I would really like a .45-70 if for nothing more than just knocking the snot out of anything. If I do get one though, I will definitely cast for it.
[/quote]

There's something about a big bore! I wanted a 45/70 until I stumbled into .458 SOCOM. Cost is real manageable if you reload. Yep, you'll knock the snot out of something :)

[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1351969079' post='838440']
There's something about a big bore! I wanted a 45/70 until I stumbled into .458 SOCOM. Cost is real manageable if you reload. Yep, you'll knock the snot out of something :)
[/quote]A .50 Beowolf would also be fun.

[quote name='gjohnsoniv' timestamp='1351969851' post='838448']
A .50 Beowolf would also be fun.
[/quote]

That could kinda be described as a 458 SOCOM necked up to 50 cal. Not sure you would feel much difference on either end.

BTW... the .458 has a huge selection of bullets. That was one of the driving forces. Edited by mikegideon
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1351970241' post='838453']
That could kinda be described as a 458 SOCOM necked up to 50 cal. Not sure you would feel much difference on either end.

BTW... the .458 has a huge selection of bullets. That was one of the driving forces.
[/quote]I thought there was slight difference but then again I haven't looked into either really. Very true on the bullets.
Here is a good article compairing the 30-30 to the .357 magnum lever actions.

[url="http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/chris-dumm/lever-action-ballistics-30-30-vs-357-magnum/"]http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/chris-dumm/lever-action-ballistics-30-30-vs-357-magnum/[/url]
The 45/70 hand loaded for a Ruger #1 is one mean rifle, so is the Marlin 45/70 just don't expect it to run a hot load your Ruer likes. I enjoy the Marlin 336 30/30 but like the 357 Magnum more. What I really want though is a Marlin 1894 pre-cross bolt 44 Magnum to match my 357. Yep here in the South East United States the 357 and 44 magnum 1994 Marlin rifles do it all.